Sturgeon's House
Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect

Calling All Autists: Build my computer

Hello "friends". 

I'm typing this from a 10 year old HP tower. I stole the monitor from an ex girlfriend. The mouse I stole from a college computer lab. The GPU I hacked out of a friend's build. 

It has been a long time since I've considered building a new computer. But there are a few games I'd like to play, and my tiny little steam-engine just isn't worth saving. 

So, if I were to jump onto last generation's equipment and browse refurbished parts, I'd like to put a computer together for around 500 United States Dollars.

Who wants to help me start putting a build list together?

Reviving this thread since I am also building a new computer, my laptop is finally shitting the bed (and I had been thinking about getting a new one anyway). Looking at about $800-1000 for a price range (Windows based desktop, obviously). Mostly for video games, though I might muck around a bit in solidworks and other programs.

Draft parts list based on Logical Increments, mostly from "great" tier;

i7-8700  $340(for some reason their i5s are slightly more expensive)

RX 580 $217

NH-U12S $58

ASRock Z730 $150

16 GB RAM $112 (unsure whether to do 1x16 or 2x8, feel like less sticks would let me upgrade easier in future)

2TB hard drive $60

250 GB SSD$60

620 Watt Power Supply $60

Case$100

Add in up to $300 for keyboard, mouse, monitor, and total is $1457, which is more than I had originally planned, but I got a good chunk of overtime last pay period (and probably some more this one) so I can handle it. Think that's about my upper limit though.

Do 1X16 for sure, and a bigger SSD but other than that,  it looks sweet!  Splurge on the monitor, it will stick with you through several computers, and a huge monitor is nice, nicer than two mediums. Make sure your video card can hack the res if you get a stupid big monitor, I got lucky my video card choice could handle the 3840X2160res monitor.  The GTX980 was like pretty high end when I built the system. 

5 hours ago, LostCosmonaut said:

Draft parts list based on Logical Increments, mostly from "great" tier;

i7-8700  $340(for some reason their i5s are slightly more expensive)

RX 580 $217

NH-U12S $58

ASRock Z730 $150

16 GB RAM $112 (unsure whether to do 1x16 or 2x8, feel like less sticks would let me upgrade easier in future)

2TB hard drive $60

250 GB SSD$60

620 Watt Power Supply $60

Case$100

Add in up to $300 for keyboard, mouse, monitor, and total is $1457, which is more than I had originally planned, but I got a good chunk of overtime last pay period (and probably some more this one) so I can handle it. Think that's about my upper limit though.

2x8 will have literally twice the bandwidth, and that board has 4 ram slots anyway so you will still be able to upgrade later. As long as you aren't desperate for 64GB of RAM eventually (with a 6 core chip?), 2x8 is the way to go