Sturgeon's House

On 11/14/2017 at 12:09 PM, Collimatrix said:

I haven't found the capacity of that rear tank, but yes, by all accounts the pony was... squirrely until it was empty.  Late model FW-190s had a similar fuel tank behind the pilot, and I would bet they emptied that one first too.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:07 PM, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

85 gallons. 

P-51D-fuel-tanks.png

On 11/14/2017 at 11:26 PM, Collimatrix said:

So that's about 500 pounds placed about four feet behind the CG.  Yep, that could cause some issues.

Not as bad as you'd think, the CG on the '51 was fairly flexible and trimmable. In addition to that 85 gallon tank, the battery of radios would sit above it, and they were not small either.  Then there was the Radiator...

Later, folks would remove the tank and radios and fit a second seat there, with little change in performance. 

The Collings foundation has a twin seat P-51 B/C.

8 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

I think even with a seat and oxygen equipment, a passenger would weigh less than 85 gallons of fuel.

Depending on the conversion (and passenger) it often weighs more.  The one owned by the Collings foundation for example, has full dual controls and instrumentation.

Profile-

cockpit-

10 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Do civy planes warbirds have to have working oxygen systems if they can get that high?

Yes, but modern O2 systems are much lighter than the old LP systems used in WW2 aircraft. 

3 minutes ago, Meplat said:

Depending on the conversion (and passenger) it often weighs more.  The one owned by the Collings foundation for example, has full dual controls and instrumentation.

Profile-

cockpit-

Interesting.  Do they have to put any ballast in the front of the aircraft to offset that?

4 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Interesting.  Do they have to put any ballast in the front of the aircraft to offset that?

Never got a straight answer. 

I also assume there was a bit of alteration to the horizontal stab to account for the change in arm, since the bird is also slightly longer than stock in that config.