Jump to content
Sturgeon's House

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, M.B-5 said:

Doh! 

You still bein' a funny-man eh, guy..

Or, is it possible... you really cannot comprehend why a fighter pilot wants a clear-view canopy - both in WW2, & now?

No, what I'm saying is a random assed fighter pilot is not considered a citeable source on this forum, especially without direct quotes from the individual in question.  This is a documents based forum. Evidence is needed to back your shit up.  Not just saying Bob from Bumfuck, Idaho who sat in a P-38 once and wasn't a trained P-38 pilot is qualified to be a judge.  Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.  It's just irrelevant for the standards of this forum.

 

To explain it, if you were serous about arguing the P-38 was flawed because of it's canopy design, there should be a document somewhere floating around with people complaining about it officially.  There were reports on everything, and we see them posted on this forum fairly regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

 

 

Why would you compare a Navy Fighter not designed for long-range missions with an Air Force fighter designed for very long range missions?     It's a loaded comparison for a person bad at arguing a point, because he is ignorant as fuck, but thinks he's an expert, tries to use to prove a stupid point. You know that whole apple and oranges thing, well, maybe you don't because you are dumb as a brick. 

No "dumb-as" - Navy designation was F-fighter, USAAF was P-pursuit, both P-38 & P-80 were Army ships..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

@M.B-5, can I suggest paying more attention to the way you write? I'm having a hard time trying to understand the points you're trying to make.

You Dutchies... you guys are (almost as) funny as Canucks... ah,wait on... no, you aint...

 

But, to be fair,  your complaining about me is hilarious - esp' when J_G_T is doin' his act, full-on..

( or is he on your 'ignore' list, L.O.L...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

No, what I'm saying is a random assed fighter pilot is not considered a citeable source on this forum, especially without direct quotes from the individual in question.  This is a documents based forum. Evidence is needed to back your shit up.  Not just saying Bob from Bumfuck, Idaho who sat in a P-38 once and wasn't a trained P-38 pilot is qualified to be a judge.  Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.  It's just irrelevant for the standards of this forum.

 

To explain it, if you were serous about arguing the P-38 was flawed because of it's canopy design, there should be a document somewhere floating around with people complaining about it officially.  There were reports on everything, and we see them posted on this forum fairly regularly.

So its no, then..

Look dude, stop being so "random" & just 'ask your bloody self', as an Englander would put it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M.B-5 said:

Here's a question for the tech-heads.

 

The Merlin-powered P-82 'Betty Jo' - flew non-stop from Hawaii to New York, & in record time.

 

Could the Navy's R-2800 powered equivalent, the F7F - beat that time-to-distance record, or even fly that far, non-stop?

 

 

Can you even figure your own shit out...

 

I know, like what the hell am I asking this retard for, I mean, at this point I think he just acting like an asshole to force a ban so he can run off to some other forum an whine like he's some kind of victim. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, M.B-5 said:

You Dutchies... you guys are (almost as) funny as Canucks... ah,wait on... no, you aint...

If the first 'argument' you use in your reply is about race I almost feel sorry for you.

 

4 minutes ago, M.B-5 said:

But, to be fair,  your complaining about me is hilarious - esp' when J_G_T is doin' his act, full-on..

( or is he on your 'ignore' list, L.O.L...).

If you had read my post properly, I was asking you if you could improve your writing, since it's seriously hard to follow. I know barely anything about planes, and even less about plane engines, so this discussion would be interesting to follow if both sides were actually able to get their posts across. What I think about Jeep's points or opinions is irrelevant since my post was about actually being able to understand points or opinions. And at least I can understand what Jeep's is trying to convey.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's gotten into comparing apples and oranges,with a side shot of sheer lunacy.

MB, drop the pop history nonsense.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

 

 

Can you even figure your own shit out...

 

 

 

 

Hah!

Seems like maybe you've tried then J_G_T, & now have a bug up your butt - about the R-2800 failing to match the lousy Limey Merlin...

...for speed or distance, due to being.. yeah, such a gas-hog...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

If the first 'argument' you use in your reply is about race I almost feel sorry for you.

 

If you had read my post properly, I was asking you if you could improve your writing, since it's seriously hard to follow. I know barely anything about planes, and even less about plane engines, so this discussion would be interesting to follow if both sides were actually able to get their posts across. What I think about Jeep's points or opinions is irrelevant since my post was about actually being able to understand points or opinions. And at least I can understand what Jeep's is trying to convey.

 

 

Quit your whining Netherlander, & do some learnin' instead of butt-lickin'...

 

(FYI, just 'cause you don't comprehend something, don't mean - its - stupid).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, M.B-5 said:

Quit your whining Netherlander, & do some learnin' instead of butt-lickin'...

 

(FYI, just 'cause you don't comprehend something, don't mean - its - stupid).

I don't think someone with multiple grammar and/or spelling errors in each of his posts should be telling a professional translator to "do some learnin'".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 pages of cool discourse, and then 5 pages of word vomit broken up only by a cool picture of a cam timing abomination

Neato

 

Did German fighters have trim? WT sim doesn't seem to think so. Half a plane's performance is pilot interface but it'd fit their track record

 

Edit: Also I realized some time last night that it doesn't have valves or true cams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vanagandr said:

2 pages of cool discourse, and then 5 pages of word vomit broken up only by a cool picture of a cam timing abomination

Neato

 

Did German fighters have trim? WT sim doesn't seem to think so. Half a plane's performance is pilot interface but it'd fit their track record

I know the 109 had pitch trim, it had a jackscrew adjustable horizontal stabilizer , adjusted by a trimwheel down on the floor.

Rudder/roll trim IIRC was by just by ground adjustable tabs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Vanagandr said:

2 pages of cool discourse, and then 5 pages of word vomit broken up only by a cool picture of a cam timing abomination

Neato

 

Did German fighters have trim? WT sim doesn't seem to think so. Half a plane's performance is pilot interface but it'd fit their track record

 

Weird how things only got that way when one dude showed up. Must be a coincidence. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, looks like all the German fighters usually had was pitch trim, nothing else.

In contrast, most U.S. fighters had at minimum pitch and yaw trim, and usually three axis trim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But but the boos all tell me that German planes were set up far better from the human factors standpoint!!!

 

Did the boos lie to me?!

 

Actually seriously, I do hear a lot about this human factors stuff and how they had automatic lean/rich adjustments and such to make their planes easier to fight (other than the ridiculously small cockpit thing I've read you guys talking about) so why the hell would they not have multiple axis adjustable trim?

 

It's weird how they seem to have obsessed over micro details yet habitually screwed the pooch somewhere in the macro / system integration fields... Had to be all the meth, that shit'll do this to you every time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not at all uncommon to find the same evidence of extensive hand fitting in WW2 German aircraft, that one finds in their armor.  Lots of hand labelled switches, interior markings, and signs of "good enough" engineering.

While in U.S. aircraft, you find standardized switches, control layouts, lighting equipment, etc across types and makers, with the level of fit and finish expected of a highly industrialized nation.

 

Yeah, there is that whole "Oh but dere stuff wuz"..

Frankly, a lot of their stuff was shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, well when your battlefield doctrine is 'we will win because we are the ubermensch' you don't consider things like making sure identical parts from different factories are actually interchangeable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 10:25 PM, roguetechie said:

But but the boos all tell me that German planes were set up far better from the human factors standpoint!!!

 

Did the boos lie to me?!

 

Actually seriously, I do hear a lot about this human factors stuff and how they had automatic lean/rich adjustments and such to make their planes easier to fight (other than the ridiculously small cockpit thing I've read you guys talking about) so why the hell would they not have multiple axis adjustable trim?

 

It's weird how they seem to have obsessed over micro details yet habitually screwed the pooch somewhere in the macro / system integration fields... Had to be all the meth, that shit'll do this to you every time!

 

As far as I know, only the FW-190 had the automatic lean/rich adjustment for the throttle, it wasn't a feature of German aircraft generally.  I also recall that the FW-190 had more pitch adjustments as an early prototype, but Kurt Tank actually designed the aircraft to have minimal trim change in flight so he could get rid of the additional trim controls.  This I think was done in the name of simplicity.

Everything I've read suggests that the FW-190 was a pretty defensible design.  It wasn't perfect, certainly, but the people designing it had their heads screwed on the right way and made a pretty good effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×