Jump to content
Sturgeon's House
Xoon

United States Gun Control Megathread

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

 

Dear lord, the fucktarderdy.  It's like a singularity of stupid....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

 

 

 

"full semi-automatic" lolwut, is there a semi-semi-automatic function that I am not aware of?

 

director: "ok guys, make sure you hold the rifle as loosely as possible so it looks like it has a lot of recoil. We want to make this thing look way too powerful for 'civilians' to have."

 

I also like how the talk to a general about rifles. I'm sorry, but what the fuck does a desk jockey know about small arms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Full Semiautomatic" is me deciding to slap the BREN mag in my No4 Enfield, and ejaculating 30 rounds at something resembling a fucking boxhead.

FFS. These dipshits have no idea what someone with a modicum of trig could do with a machine gun that is over a century  in age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suddenly everyone and their dog is an expert on the AR after having the Wikipedia page roughly described to them by a drunk vagrant. It's only a matter of time until they find out (again) that people can build these things at home, ON 3D PRINTERS!!!!!!!!!1111111ONEONEONEONEONE. 

 

SPOOPY GUST GUNS ARE GOING TO KILL IS ALL WITH THEIR 30 CALIBER MAGAZINE CLIPS IN HALF A SECOND!

 

Why do I have this impending sense that at some point down the road, these fuckwits will institute another national ban of some variety, and it will be even more retarded and stringent than before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell, I wouldn't even consider myself an expert on ARs, or even AKs. I've built a few of each (as in, created the receiver from a legal standpoint, then fitted/assembled the rest), but there is still plenty about both of those rifles that I'm learning. Just tonight Collimatrix and I were looking to the CG and moments of inertia relative to the bore axis of an AK-74, then looking at the CG of the BCG and taking other measurements. I've also been pouring over AKM blueprints learning about the press fit tolerances for the barrel and it's components, and I haven't even gotten to the point where I know how much friction is holding them together.

 

I would say that I have armorer level knowledge, but realistically it's probably well past gunsmith knowledge.

 

Oh, I almost forgot the part where I designed a magazine for the AR that's currently on the market, and I've been working on novel AK magazine design concepts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Donward said:

 

The map looks like this with the counties having the most murders a deeper red.

Map-US-Murder-Fixed.jpg

 

 

Population density, you will notice the correlation

 

USA_2000_population_density.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a much finer correlation between the murder rate and dominant party than there is murder rate and population density. Look at all the high density counties that have relatively low murder rates... They are Republican. Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My theory on this, by the way, has less to do with right vs. left than you might think. I think it probably comes down to two major factors:

 

1. Corruption. Like it or not, politicians are corrupt. And while members of the Republican Party are definitely competing in the Corruption Olympics, it's the Democrats who consistently take home the gold. This is just the reality in my country, and I think it's a legacy inherited through a culture dating back to FDR. Corruption breeds criminality, which begets murders*, as corruption stifles legitimate enterprise and enriches illegitimate activity.

 

2. Boredom. I think the great bulk of US law enforcement experience has, among other things, one great lesson to teach us: Bored people commit crimes. Not all bored people, and not in every case, but those with nothing better to to do will tend towards the thrill-seeking that is committing crimes. There is something inherently thrilling about acting outside the law, and if your life is dead-end, yet all your basic needs are met, and especially if legitimate enterprise is discouraged, you will tend towards criminality. Welfare and corporate tax rates - both firm Democratic policies, encourage this. 

 

*I think all people are inclined to murder in the right circumstances. It's civilized society and the rule of law (Hobbes' Leviathan) that stops them. If they see themselves as outside that system, nothing will.

 

Now this is a little too simplistic - after all, high density areas (even in otherwise conservative regions) tend towards the left wing. Louisiana for example went Trump in a landslide, except Shreveport (where I live) went Hillary. That itself could be the subject of multiple doctorates, so we won't get too far into it.

 

Do left-wing policies cause crime? I think there's good reason to think they do, but more importantly I think there is a broader correlation between democratic politicians and high crime areas, but it's not clear how that chicken-and-egg problem shakes out, exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

There is a much finer correlation between the murder rate and dominant party than there is murder rate and population density. Look at all the high density counties that have relatively low murder rates... They are Republican. Why?

 

That a correlation doesn't necessarily imply a cause-effect relation.

That in any election in the world you'll find a strong correlation telling you that rural area tends to vote more conservative and urban area more progressive (whatever you put behind those terms in the relevant country)

That there is a correlation between the percentage of the population that own guns in a state and the number of death or injury by firearm (who would have though that when you increase a population you increase the frequency of associated events?)

Tons of correlations.

 

As you said earlier gun violence is a complex problem and demographic is a an important part of it and I doubt that people voted Trump or Clinton for the exact same reasons depending on the demographic or the peculiarity (that I'm not familiar with) of a particular region.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Alzoc said:

 

That a correlation doesn't necessarily imply a cause-effect relation.

 

I completely agree and basically said as much. I think there is probably a minor causal relationship from politics to result, but that's pretty soft language.

 

52 minutes ago, Alzoc said:

 

That in any election in the world you'll find a strong correlation telling you that rural area tends to vote more conservative and urban area more progressive (whatever you put behind those terms in the relevant country)

That there is a correlation between the percentage of the population that own guns in a state and the number of death or injury by firearm (who would have though that when you increase a population you increase the frequency of associated events?)

Tons of correlations.

 

Well what's really interesting is that the gun ownership rate in the US is inverse to the politics (Democrats own far fewer firearms) - so what does that say?

 

52 minutes ago, Alzoc said:

As you said earlier gun violence is a complex problem and demographic is a an important part of it and I doubt that people voted Trump or Clinton for the exact same reasons depending on the demographic or the peculiarity (that I'm not familiar with) of a particular region.

 

It's a very complex problem. I'm not really proposing optimizations here. Anyone familiar with my political views, such as @Toxn, is probably wondering what the fuck I'm saying right about now. Why am I sticking up for republicanism and the right to arms so much? Well, the 2016 election legitimately surprised me (even though I called it months ahead of time). Basically, at its darkest hour, the American republican system worked without fail. I think a big reason for that has to do with the 2nd Amendment, although that probably wasn't the only contributing factor. But the important thing is, my previous model of how things in this country worked was grossly and demonstrably wrong. I have much more respect for the founding structure of my country now than I did before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

2. Boredom. I think the great bulk of US law enforcement experience has, among other things, one great lesson to teach us: Bored people commit crimes. Not all bored people, and not in every case, but those with nothing better to to do will tend towards the thrill-seeking that is committing crimes. There is something inherently thrilling about acting outside the law, and if your life is dead-end, yet all your basic needs are met, and especially if legitimate enterprise is discouraged, you will tend towards criminality. Welfare and corporate tax rates - both firm Democratic policies, encourage this. 

This one is proven true. Our government has youth programs to keep the youth away from stealing and mischief. 

 

18 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

 

And you're disqualified from talking about US gun laws, until you do some reading.

Fair enough.

 

18 hours ago, Meplat said:

License Process...

LICENSE PROCESS...

 

Take a wild guess how many licenses/permits/etc.  I have for my small collection of arms..

 

I meant to make it more streamline, less of a hassle, easier. I am pretty sure that a bit of paperwork would not stop a criminal or a murderer, so why annoy law abiding citizen?

 

18 hours ago, Donward said:

Yeah, but a significant portion of your armed forces are commanded by a penguin.

 

Nils_Olav_inspects_the_Kings_Guard_of_No

His Majesty King's Guard*

 

Long live Colonel-In-Chief Sir Nils Olav III!

 

16 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

This is why we roll our collective eyes when it comes to gun control bills. 

 

A Democrat in Minnesota (a state in the US) has released a gun bill into their legislature.

 

This is in response to the recent shooting in Florida. Those states are over 1000 miles away, fyi.

 

Here's the high points.

 

 

2 day waiting period on all firearm transactions, because these idiots still believe that mass shootings are acts of passion. 

 

Total ban on private sales, including inheritance, family, C&R, antiques, etc. So tell me, how will you enforce this? Confiscation at someone's funeral?

 

Registration of firearms. Literally straight out of a despot's playbook. 

 

Bans something called an "Assault Weapon", which will be defined by the Democrats. 

 

Felony to possess a fucking piece of baffled metal. Oil filter owners beware!

 

Bans all ammo purchases online. Must buy ammo in person, and tracked and "registered" however the fuck that works. The intricacies of this one blow my mind. 

 

Delinquent in paying child support from possessing a firearm. Really? Who made you put THAT into the bill? 

 

Storage laws, right out of the UK playbook. 

 

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=HF3022&version=latest&session=90&session_number=0&session_year=2017

The second last one sounds like a salty mother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Do left-wing policies cause crime? I think there's good reason to think they do, but more importantly I think there is a broader correlation between democratic politicians and high crime areas, but it's not clear how that chicken-and-egg problem shakes out, exactly.

 

TBH fella you don't really have a political left in the US.....Your left seems somewhat similar to our (ghastly) 'New Labour' concept, ie: centre-right. 

 

When Corbyn gets in over here you'll see (I fervently hope) some genuinely left wing politics.....Slava Britannia Comrades!  The future is bright, bright red.

 

PS - The Wiki page on Nils Olav is priceless.....I never realised the Norwegians had such a great sense of humour, always thought it was too cold for that sort of thing up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

 

TBH fella you don't really have a political left in the US.....Your left seems somewhat similar to our (ghastly) 'New Labour' concept, ie: centre-right. 

 

When Corbyn gets in over here you'll see (I fervently hope) some genuinely left wing politics.....Slava Britannia Comrades!  The future is bright, bright red.

 

PS - The Wiki page on Nils Olav is priceless.....I never realised the Norwegians had such a great sense of humour, always thought it was too cold for that sort of thing up there.

 

And they haven't even seen what we have in France (we take it to an extreme level)^^

 

LFI : Guy wanted to establish a "press ethic comity" (read as press control comity), establish a constituent assembly to create the VIth Republic (and we all know what happen when extremist party want to rewrite the constitution), love for Chavez and Putin, Eurosceptic, anti capitalist, anti globalization, anti NATO etc

NPA: The same without authoritarian tendency
PCF: A genuine communist party, still existing (Yes^^)
 

Those are real far left^^

Corbyn would still be mild compared to some of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting that people always bring up Australia when talking about strict gun control laws. Wouldn't it be better to choose a culturally more similar country, which also had enacted strict gun control laws, but which also had a right to arms like we do? A country like... Mexico, maybe?

 

C9qEW1R.png

 

SyZCwYv.png

EaX3ZkZ.png

 

Oh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lefty logic: AR-15s are too deadly for civilians to own, but you can't hunt dear  with them either because you would just wound the animal instead of killing it.

 

Also, Feinstein saying that the AR-15 is the "newest" military grade small arm to hit the civilian market......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Xoon said:

 

I meant to make it more streamline, less of a hassle, easier. I am pretty sure that a bit of paperwork would not stop a criminal or a murderer, so why annoy law abiding citizen?

 

 

Again, take a wild guess at how many firearms licenses I have.

Whatever number you guess, multiply it by zero..

 

You do not license a (supposedly) constitutionally guaranteed right.

That a few locales have managed to get away with it is less of an endorsement of the legality of the process, than a symptom of a disease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ulric said:

Lefty logic: AR-15s are too deadly for civilians to own, but you can't hunt dear  with them either because you would just wound the animal instead of killing it.

 

Also, Feinstein saying that the AR-15 is the "newest" military grade small arm to hit the civilian market......

It's Feinstein. The woman is a fucking moron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He did tell that cunt Feinstein to add her assault weapons ban, (an all semi-auto ban actually) in the bill, and my hope is he knows Congress will kill it, so why not look like he's being bipartisan. 

 

But I'm old enough to remember when George the First, gave us the assault weapons ban, and Reagan gave us the fucking Brady bill.  Congress may pass it just so they can blame Trump in the hope of getting rid of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

He did tell that cunt Feinstein to add her assault weapons ban, (an all semi-auto ban actually) in the bill,

 

I thought he said he would look at it. Which I interpret as passive aggressively saying "fuck off".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×