Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Gun Control Megathread

Xoon

13 hours ago, Donward said:

Well, I guess the Soviets had it right after all. Time to line all of the bankers and Wall Street capitalists against the wall.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-citigroup/citi-sets-restrictions-on-gun-sales-by-retail-clients-idUSKBN1GY29T

An-caps everywhere are confused, and they don't know why

On 3/19/2018 at 5:29 PM, Sturgeon said:

One of the best articles I've read on the subject of addressing gun control arguments.

Sadly, his efforts will go wasted.  Assaulting feelings with logic and rational discussion is rarely worthwhile.

On 3/20/2018 at 10:59 AM, Ulric said:

More guns in school is never the answer, though....

Making a school the equivalent of a prison is definitely not the answer.  When the outside of a school looks like a set piece from "the great escape" because of the fences and armed guards, it's time to consider other options.

On 3/20/2018 at 3:00 PM, Donward said:

Yep. In addition to going to high school at a time when "kids-would-drive-to-school-with-their-hunting-rifles-in-the-back-windows-of-their-pickup-trucks-and-park-them-in-the-school-parking-lot-and-no-one-shot-up-the-school"... *pauses, takes breath*... my high school chemistry lab had enough chemicals sitting around to poison the entire town. It was a bunch of stuff left over from the 1950s or something. And none of it was under lock and key. We had a gallon jar full of liquid mercury that the teacher would pass around the class.

That probably wasn't a smart idea, in retrospect.

Kind of wishing they still had all those chemicals, I managed to trade a junky (red tagged) gyro-horizon for a pound of mercury from my physics teacher,  and I'm sure it is now more lead than mercury.

Oh and yeah, guns were everywhere then. Only time there was an issue was when I traded some auto work for a Japanese replica of a 1911, so I could make grip slabs for my grandad's 1911. My woodworking teacher was so impressed, he was showing my work off to my father (also a teacher). My parents were worried that I'd somehow gotten ahold of a real 1911, and not a "to scale but inert" model to use as as tooling.

16 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Well, this is one alternative I never thought of. 

School arms all students with rocks to protect against active shooter. 

http://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/school-district-arming-students-with-rocks-in-case-of-school-shooting/1073916472?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KETK_NBC

Rocks?

Where is this? Palestine, Texas?

56 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Looks like somewhere in PA. 

I'm not even mad about it. It's at least a step, albeit an interesting one, in the right direction thought-wise. 

Meet force with force and allow people to protect themselves. 

Why not short swords? Maybe make the tops of the desks removable, and train them in some Roman era tactics.  Have some "dangerously sharp" broomsticks at ready access..

Thrown rocks are probably more effective against a gun than a shield wall - a stream of rocks to the face will make it quite hard to aim, whereas it's easier to keep out of poking range. The whole thing does read a bit like a satire article - concealed carry on campus would be a lot simpler

So the little Hitler Jugund are out in the streets marching against the Second Amendment. I guess more on that later.

What is interesting to me is the amount of vitriol that is coming from a lot of Far Left type groups about all the attention these kids are getting.

Particularly in the Black community. 

These are just a couple of examples to be sure. But I've seen a lot of Black activists point out that the media falls all over themselves when a suburban school is shot up. But the same amount of minorities in inner-city schools are killed every week across the country and zero shits are given. It's doesn't even make the news.

They have a point...

Edit: It seems I'm not the only one to notice the disparity.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/2/24/17044904/parkland-shooting-race-trauma-movement-for-black-lives-gun-violence

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-lives-gun-violence-florida-shooting_us_5a8f1a11e4b00804dfe6a466

Tim on the Ground at Please Take Our Rights Daddy:

"The argument that we have to prove everything in advance is baloney that we're not very interested in engaging in anymore. We're not here because we were hoping that they'll talk to us about it, we're here because we want our elected officials to put meaningful gun regulations in place. We're not asking them, we're telling them."

13 minutes ago, Donward said:

LOL.

YouTube took down the black dudes in the NRA video you posted.

So much for all the advertising dollars the NRA poured into Google/YouTube.

That's going to be a self-solving issue in the near future.

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Unsurprisingly, March For Our Lives is totally astroturf.

It's very difficult at this point to contradict the idea that this is a battle between most of Americans, who think more guns will make them safer, and wealthy elitists like Michael Bloomberg, and their patsies.

The great money laundering scheme that is political non-profits which came about as the end result of Citizens United and the passage of McCain-Feingold.

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Tim on the Ground at Please Take Our Rights Daddy:

"The argument that we have to prove everything in advance is baloney that we're not very interested in engaging in anymore. We're not here because we were hoping that they'll talk to us about it, we're here because we want our elected officials to put meaningful gun regulations in place. We're not asking them, we're telling them."

They don't want to have a debate. They don't want to engage in compromise. And yet they are pushing for not only the violation of American's Second Amendment rights, but their Fourth and Seventh as well. 

And these idiots think they'll be able to get away with it without one or more individuals deciding to infringe on theirs. 

19 minutes ago, Donward said:

They don't want to have a debate. They don't want to engage in compromise. And yet they are pushing for not only the violation of American's Second Amendment rights, but their Fourth and Seventh as well. 

And these idiots think they'll be able to get away with it without one or more individuals deciding to infringe on theirs. 

Hay. That's not what we wanted!

Alaska Daily News has an interesting profile on a gun story robbery committed by a couple of junkies in Anchor-auga (Anchorage) and the chain of criminal events that heist facilitated, including the murder of a local business owner who was killed during a hold-up by a crook using one of the stolen handguns

https://www.adn.com/features/alaska-news/2018/03/24/addicts-stole-36-guns-in-a-single-break-in-1-was-used-in-a-murder-where-are-the-rest/

Short story. A "good kid" dontcha know, gets involved in drugs and heroin, starts running around with the wrong crowd. Commits three separate felonies but is still out on the streets on bail. He and his buddy steal 36 firearms from a gun store, and begin trading those weapons for heroin, cash, or whatever they need at the time.

A dozen of the stolen weapons turn up in various crimes. 

tracing_the_guns1.jpg

The thieves somehow bypassed getting a background check for those stolen weapons...

Anchorage is a fairly insular community so it is educational to see this scenario play out in a sort of isolated petri dish of crime. Obviously shit like this goes down in the hood every day in cities across the country. 

1 hour ago, Sturgeon said:

An actual compromise proposal that could probably get popular support.

I have proposed similar compromises.

It's been making the rounds on the gun subreddits. /u/kareems is making some clarifications if anyone has criticisms.

Also, allegedly a user on /r/liberalgunowners is claiming some NICS reform was slipped into the spending omnibus bill