Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Gun Control Megathread

Xoon

1 hour ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

No idea if these numbers are correct buuuuuttttt

33077655_801753010010696_212426518364684

Huh, whodathunk..  Seems that unconstitutional, illogical laws based on feelings rather than fact are usually not complied with. 

I mean, look how swimmingly Prohibition went..

6 hours ago, Meplat said:

Huh, whodathunk..  Seems that unconstitutional, illogical laws based on feelings rather than fact are usually not complied with. 

I mean, look how swimmingly Prohibition went..

It worked pretty well for making everyone drink awful alcohol, though.

Lord knows what the gun equivalent of prohibition-era moonshine is.

1 hour ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

80 percent poly lowers and dremels, obviously.

That might actually be worse than home built open bolt API SMGs.....

They are getting wise to the whole 80% thing. I don't know what they can do about it from a legal standpoint, at some point a chunk of metal can't be a firearm.

1 hour ago, Ulric said:

That might actually be worse than home built open bolt API SMGs.....

They are getting wise to the whole 80% thing. I don't know what they can do about it from a legal standpoint, at some point a chunk of metal can't be a firearm.

The ATF has flipped (and flopped, and may flip again) on  "bits of rubber not being a silencer", so y'never know.

"Possession of metal stock and machine tools without a class two"= "Intent to manufacture a GUN".  Considering the way alphabet soup fed LE agencies are turning into  laughable caricatures of the gestapo/einsatzgruppen, I would not bet against such idiocy coming out in the near future.

5 hours ago, Toxn said:

It worked pretty well for making everyone drink awful alcohol, though.

Lord knows what the gun equivalent of prohibition-era moonshine is.

Depended on how close you lived to a border.   Michigan seemed to still be fairly "wet" throughout the prohibition era.

So based on that? Anything from a hooned up zip-gun, to an Inglis BREN..(Or C1A1)

14 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

No idea if these numbers are correct buuuuuttttt

33077655_801753010010696_212426518364684

Seems pretty reasonable:

NOTE: I estimated the number of bump stocks in Massachusetts and New Jersey by multiplying the number of bump stocks nationwide (520,000) by the percent of America’s gun owners located in each state (1.6% of U.S. gun owners are in Massachusetts, and 1.1% are in New Jersey).

Figures for the number of stocks handed in come from this article (at the bottom of the facebook post):

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/so-states-ban-bump-stocks-now-how-do-they-enforce_us_5afef574e4b018ba2f83c189

1 hour ago, Meplat said:

Depended on how close you lived to a border.   Michigan seemed to still be fairly "wet" throughout the prohibition era.

So based on that? Anything from a hooned up zip-gun, to an Inglis BREN..(Or C1A1)

Sounds fun.

I’m curious what they plan to do about my mother: she’s a retired cop, and owned (and still owns) her AR-15 she used for work. Sooo... now that she’s retired, can she keep her “assault weapon”, or is she classified under the “child killers” they so call responsible gun owners? 

9 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

I’m curious what they plan to do about my mother: she’s a retired cop, and owned (and still owns) her AR-15 she used for work. Sooo... now that she’s retired, can she keep her “assault weapon”, or is she classified under the “child killers” they so call responsible gun owners? 

Let me offer my condolences in advance about your mother's tragic boating accident. I'm happy she survived...

WHAT

THE

FUCK

OVER

https://www.local10.com/news/local-10-investigates/parents-call-for-investigation-into-marjory-stoneman-douglas-high-assault-involving-sheriffs-son

Several parents of victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School massacre say that if former Broward Sheriff's Office Deputy Scot Peterson -- who stood outside the school for several minutes while bullets rang out -- had done his job, their children might not have lost their lives.

“I think Peterson is the lowest form of life available,” said Fred Guttenberg, whose daughter Jaime was gunned down on the third floor. “My daughter would be alive today if not for him.” 

Broward Sheriff Scott Israel publicly criticized Peterson for his inaction during the shooting that left 17 dead and 17 more wounded, but didn’t fire the 54-year-old deputy, instead allowing him to resign. Local 10 caught up with Peterson outside his home in Boynton Beach, where he is living on his $100,000-a-year public pension. The deputy, who had yet to face any media, simply turned and hurried inside, saying only, “Get off my property.” 

But now, a report that recently surfaced has some victims’ families calling for renewed investigation of Peterson for a case he handled four years to the day prior to the massacre. The case involved two 17-year-old students bullying a 14-year-old freshman, with one holding down the younger boy by his ankles while the other kicked the victim, grabbed his genitals and then took the victim's own baseball bat and began shoving it against his buttocks, simulating rape, through the boy's clothes. 

One of those assailants, the boy who allegedly held down the victim, was Sheriff Israel’s own son, Brett.

Defense attorney Alex Arreaza, who represents shooting victim Anthony Borges, who was shot five times in the Valentine's Day shooting and survived, said the case could have led to felony charges. 

“He could be charged with lewd and lascivious. I'm being conservative,” said defense attorney Alex Arreaza.

2 hours ago, Donward said:

WHAT

THE

FUCK

OVER

https://www.local10.com/news/local-10-investigates/parents-call-for-investigation-into-marjory-stoneman-douglas-high-assault-involving-sheriffs-son

Several parents of victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School massacre say that if former Broward Sheriff's Office Deputy Scot Peterson -- who stood outside the school for several minutes while bullets rang out -- had done his job, their children might not have lost their lives.

“I think Peterson is the lowest form of life available,” said Fred Guttenberg, whose daughter Jaime was gunned down on the third floor. “My daughter would be alive today if not for him.” 

Broward Sheriff Scott Israel publicly criticized Peterson for his inaction during the shooting that left 17 dead and 17 more wounded, but didn’t fire the 54-year-old deputy, instead allowing him to resign. Local 10 caught up with Peterson outside his home in Boynton Beach, where he is living on his $100,000-a-year public pension. The deputy, who had yet to face any media, simply turned and hurried inside, saying only, “Get off my property.” 

But now, a report that recently surfaced has some victims’ families calling for renewed investigation of Peterson for a case he handled four years to the day prior to the massacre. The case involved two 17-year-old students bullying a 14-year-old freshman, with one holding down the younger boy by his ankles while the other kicked the victim, grabbed his genitals and then took the victim's own baseball bat and began shoving it against his buttocks, simulating rape, through the boy's clothes. 

One of those assailants, the boy who allegedly held down the victim, was Sheriff Israel’s own son, Brett.

Defense attorney Alex Arreaza, who represents shooting victim Anthony Borges, who was shot five times in the Valentine's Day shooting and survived, said the case could have led to felony charges. 

“He could be charged with lewd and lascivious. I'm being conservative,” said defense attorney Alex Arreaza.

A shitty cop who abuses his authority turns out to be shitty in other ways. Who'd have thought?

Any chance he'll face any sort of punishment for his (in)actions?

6 hours ago, Toxn said:

Any chance he'll face any sort of punishment for his (in)actions?

Very hard to say.  Typically, the police unions are very good at keeping bad cops from facing serious consequences.  At worst they get paid suspension, and maybe shuffled to another job where they are less likely to cause problems.

But if enough negative publicity can be generated, the union may decide it's not worth it and give him up to the howling mob.  And if the mob howls loudly enough, the judge in charge of the case, who will probably have let plenty of people off for much worse in the past, may suddenly realize, though a process of completely objective logic and review of relevant precedent mind you, that this asshole deserves to rot.

1 hour ago, Collimatrix said:

Very hard to say.  Typically, the police unions are very good at keeping bad cops from facing serious consequences.  At worst they get paid suspension, and maybe shuffled to another job where they are less likely to cause problems.

But if enough negative publicity can be generated, the union may decide it's not worth it and give him up to the howling mob.  And if the mob howls loudly enough, the judge in charge of the case, who will probably have let plenty of people off for much worse in the past, may suddenly realize, though a process of completely objective logic and review of relevant precedent mind you, that this asshole deserves to rot.

Yeah, it figures that you guys only have the worst version of unions as well.

And more reporting on the two armed citizens who shot and killed an armed gunman trying to shoot up an Oklahoma City restaurant.

http://kfor.com/2018/05/25/what-we-know-about-the-shooting-at-lake-hefner/

“I spotted the [shooter] walking north up the sidewalk, and pointed him out to the guy who had the weapon, and then there was another guy who had one,” Benton remembered. “They were really screaming. They were like, ‘Stop! stop! stop! Please! Put the gun down! Please put the gun down!’ And I was pointing at him, I was like ‘Down! Put it down! Put it down!’ and they wound up exchanging fire.”

“We heard someone say, this man, yelling, ‘Put down the gun,’ before the second shots,” Morgan, another witness, said.

Authorities identified the two armed civilians who were responsible for stopping Tilghman as 35-year-old Juan Carlos Nazario and 39-year-old Bryan Whittle.

And this puts to bed another myth that likes to be bandied around by anti-gunners that "Good Guys with a Gun" will shoot each other in a mass shooting scenario. Instead we had a Hispanic and a white guy working together to take down the shooter. Whereupon the folks on the scene worked to stabilize the wounded until paramedics could arrive on the scene. 

Also, this story is already forgotten and buried by everyone but the local OKC media. 

1 hour ago, Donward said:

And more reporting on the two armed citizens who shot and killed an armed gunman trying to shoot up an Oklahoma City restaurant.

http://kfor.com/2018/05/25/what-we-know-about-the-shooting-at-lake-hefner/

“I spotted the [shooter] walking north up the sidewalk, and pointed him out to the guy who had the weapon, and then there was another guy who had one,” Benton remembered. “They were really screaming. They were like, ‘Stop! stop! stop! Please! Put the gun down! Please put the gun down!’ And I was pointing at him, I was like ‘Down! Put it down! Put it down!’ and they wound up exchanging fire.”

“We heard someone say, this man, yelling, ‘Put down the gun,’ before the second shots,” Morgan, another witness, said.

Authorities identified the two armed civilians who were responsible for stopping Tilghman as 35-year-old Juan Carlos Nazario and 39-year-old Bryan Whittle.

And this puts to bed another myth that likes to be bandied around by anti-gunners that "Good Guys with a Gun" will shoot each other in a mass shooting scenario. Instead we had a Hispanic and a white guy working together to take down the shooter. Whereupon the folks on the scene worked to stabilize the wounded until paramedics could arrive on the scene. 

Also, this story is already forgotten and buried by everyone but the local OKC media. 

Does not fit the directed narrative.

24 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I think the stronger motivation for passing it over is the lack of body count. The media, biased as it is, is pretty mercenary. That's why they couldn't help themselves but give Trump free coverage against their own interests in 2016.

Meh, same thing.  It's all about maintaining the impression that- " shit is going pear shaped, and ONLY WE can tell you what is going on!- ".

6 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

I think the stronger motivation for passing it over is the lack of body count.

Reminds me of a point I saw regarding this incident brought up on one of the pro-gun subreddits. It was a comment made by a pro-gun user (who was recalling an argument they had with an anti-gunner) about the whole "good guy with a gun stops mass shootings" thing, and the definition of mass shootings is flexed in such a manner in the media that by the definition there's a significant amount of victims as the baseline. So incidents like in Oklahoma are just single actors stopping individual criminals, but as school shootings continue the "good guys with guns" will "forever" fail to protect the many children harmed in these incidents. Ergo, gun proliferation in the general population is useless for protecting people.