Sturgeon's House
Ulric

Kalashnikov pattern construction and customization: reasonable changes that won't make Mikhail turn over in his grave.

I have several upcoming projects involving Kalashnikovs and rifles patterned off of them, as do some other forum members. This thread is meant for documenting construction, exploring methodologies, entertaining suggestions, and exhibiting results. 

My most recent acquisition is a Galil ARM kit, and I'm stuck as to how I want to proceed with it. One of my more interesting ideas is to convert it to 5.45x39mm. All sorts of barrel lengths are under consideration, as well as mimicking an RK-95 forearm. Will post pics when it arrives.

5.45 is a good cartridge. That might be neat. On the other hand, modern 5.56 has gotten more development and the bleeding edge is better incorporated into it. Which is a nifty segue for me into my thoughts on the Kalashnikov family.

Honestly I think that one of the biggest things that could be done with the Kalashnikov family is what the post-KAC quadrail AR-15 has become, which is a lightweight rifle platform. The top of the upper is picatinny. Put a scope or dot + magnifier on it. Put a night vision optic on it, who cares, you've got a bunch of adaptable space up there to work with. Your handguard is literally a freefloat tube built out of mounting spaces. Once you figure out where your hand goes, you've got the tape switch for your light and any other stuff you're running right where you need it because nowhere is safe from the plague of dicks wonders of magpul descending upon our rifles and purifying their essence.

Sure, if you need something with good enough sights that can dispense intermediate caliber rounds at people you don't like, rifle is fine. If on the other hand, you want something with all the bleeding edge gear, platform is not fine:

Look at that 12 pound thing Karl's toting. Dudes in the field use that stuff because it's worth that weight. Weight sucks hardcore. It's honestly the currency with which capabilities are bought for infantry, and they are sticking all that weight on their gun because that stuff is worth it. An AR-15 with similar stuff on it is still a pretty lightweight system that isn't actively sacrificing its value as a bullet dispenser and using up load space for all those capabilities.

I would not be surprised to see things like the Valmet's 'accurization' of the dust cover and incorporation of a rail in the future of the platform, or maybe a modular system based on the side mount. I'm not sure what the handguard is going to look like by the time all's said and done. I doubt it will look the same though.

I've been toying with the idea of replacing the shoulder of the barrel with a separate locking nut to secure the barrel to the receiver. This introduces the possibility of using that nut as an attachment point for a free float forearm. The Galil seems much better suited to this compared to a more traditional pattern in the family. It would be possible to wrap the forearm over the gas tube and have a forward optics rail, while having M-lok on the sides and bottom.

That could be an interesting conversation. 7.62x25 case head is 9.95mm and 5.45x39 is 10mm. You might be able to graft a PPS-43 magazine well onto it.

I've already over extended my resources with simultaneous Galil and RPK build, but I'll explore that concept in the near future. Keeping it locked breach and increasing the pressure would be fun.

I wish Cali gun laws were not so fucked up, you guys get all the cool stuff, here only law enforcement, and friends of Dienne Fienstien can own assault weapons and conceal carry. (Some of the rural counties are shall issue, but I don't live in them, and they are still subject to the assault weapons ban, magazine ban etc). 

If this post is uncool and cluttering feel free to delete. 

15 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Make an AK in 7.62x38R so it can be suppressed.

With an underbarrel Nagant revolver for extra suppression!

9 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

I wish Cali gun laws were not so fucked up, you guys get all the cool stuff, here only law enforcement, and friends of Dienne Fienstien can own assault weapons and conceal carry. (Some of the rural counties are shall issue, but I don't live in them, and they are still subject to the assault weapons ban, magazine ban etc). 

If this post is uncool and cluttering feel free to delete. 

I'd be more than happy to have Cali's gun laws since ours are even more retarded. I've been thinking about getting an airsoft license (yeah...) just to get something that actually resemblances a gun without jumping through years-long hoops.

This is 8 hours of progress so far on reverse engineering my Galil ARM kit.

Not visible, but modeled are the springs, gas piston, and flip up night sight.

This was made using a combination of measurements pulled off of components, and references from my 1963 AKM blueprints. The prints where mostly used for checking press fit interference and slip fit clearance in analogous components.

1FySrgx.jpg

14 hours.

New parts are the front hand guard retainer assembly, the hand guard assembly, and the bolt carrier. I still need to add the knurling to the charging handle, but I need to stop marathoning solidworks so I can do trivial things like eat.

Hidden from view are the gas tube and the right side wood panel.

b1RBCop.jpg

I let a render run while I made some food, so here is another view showing the cam track in the bolt carrier, along with other features.

AJrEFvA.jpg

PS, be sure to enjoy these in their full 4k resolution.

17 hours. There are still some details that need to be finished in the receiver, but they where obliterated during the demil process. I will have to finish it when I get the new receiver in.

DYl7uqO.jpgFCj3jAK.jpgwrVUfxr.jpg

I was having trouble falling asleep, so I was reading over my AKM blueprints when I discovered that the above Galil receiver is horribly incorrect (that happens sometimes when you are measuring something that was torch cut into four pieces). So, before any of you pedantic spergs jump down my throat, it is wrong, and I have an updated and correct version. I also discovered an apparent difference in some manufactures blueprints, but I'll have to confirm it.

It's been interesting how much of the dimensions carry over from '63 AKM blueprints to the Galil. It's also interesting to see what they have changed between them.

It's possible to swap bolt carries (sans gas piston) and bolts between the Galil and AK-47/AKM family. This opens up options for custom builds in that it allows you to have easy access to at least two bolt face diameters. The bolt carrier on the Galil stops on the right side near the charging handle, which is consistent with other milled receiver variations. This trait even shows up in the M76. The arresting surface moved to the left side on the AKM, and it's stayed there since then. I don't know if this hinders interchangeability or not.

21 hours. Receiver fixed, and added the folding stock block. The block was difficult to actually model because most surfaces are as forged, and there are few machined surfaces that can be used as consistent reference points. I didn't even try to measure the angle where it interfaces with the receiver: it's clearly intended to match it and maintain a parallel top surface and perpendicular rear surface, so that's how I made it. The important considerations are the slip fit clearances with the receiver, and the mating latch geometry with the butt stock, which includes the hinge pin.

An interesting point of note; the cross pin hole in the receiver and the hinge block appear to be intentionally misaligned. The purpose is to use the 6mm diameter spring pin to tension the hinge block to the receiver by drawing it forward. I used a similar concept several years ago on a rifle chassis that I designed and prototyped. I needed a method of connecting the butt to the main chassis section that would be very rigid, and be forward compatible with a folding mechanism. What I ended up with was a series of tapered surfaces with the cross pin holes offset by 0.005". I continue to be very impressed with the results of that design to this day.

I've also been making good use of the solidworks library for things like COTS spring pins and C clips.

mgdK6yG.jpg

On 3/19/2018 at 1:09 AM, Ulric said:

An idea that I had for replacing the rear sight block and gas tube with a optics rail. I will be pulling aspects of this design and using them on a free float Galil forearm.

BAcZTMk.jpg

Looks nice, it might be somewhat troublesome for optics with short eye relief, but you might be able to do some groovy stuff with a red dot.

25 hours. Butt stock assembly mostly finished. Modeled but not shown; butt stock latch spring.

This whole section has taken me longer than expected. There have been a number of aspects that are difficult to measure and or difficult to model. Fortunately, they end up being mostly aesthetic, but it does hinder progress. It also appears that there is about a 0.5 degree drop to the stock.

EQKszk6.png

5oRcaLn.jpg

9 hours ago, xthetenth said:

Looks nice, it might be somewhat troublesome for optics with short eye relief, but you might be able to do some groovy stuff with a red dot.

That was mainly the point. You might be able to get a magnified optic with a cantilever mount, but it was mostly for putting a red dot or other collimator sight.

29 Hours.

Finished the butt stock assembly, the pistol grip, and the main portion of the machinery cover. There are still adjustments that need to be made, and I will make them as I finish the sub-assemblies that will become the final machinery cover.

1bByQG8.jpg