Sturgeon's House
Ulric

Kalashnikov pattern construction and customization: reasonable changes that won't make Mikhail turn over in his grave.

36 hours. Machinery cover has been corrected and used as a basis for the sub assembly that contains the rear sight base, rear sight apertures, ball detent, rear night sight, rear night sight plunger, roll pin, and rear sight pivot screw.

Not shown in the mostly finished bolt. Modeling AK style bolts is always a massive pain in the ass. The Galil Bolt, while interchangeable in the carrier with an AKM bolt, has a substantial number of critical differences when it comes to correctly modeling one. This means that my AKM bolt blueprints are not as helpful as other parts have been.

As far as the model goes, some of the sub-assemblies have multiple configurations that allow you to show the rifle set to either the 300m, 500m, or night sights, and the stock folded or deployed.

kX8SqQW.jpg

Zkj2APC.jpg

41 Hours

Left side selector lever, FCG axis pins, trigger, grip screw and grip screw nut. Further detail added to the right side selector. I also changed the focal length for the perspective view.

RaeyiJ0.jpg

GB2v3cz.jpg

KLQ6XVJ.jpg

66urouE.jpg

44 hours.

Bullet guide, recoil spring guide assembly, right side selector lever assembly, helical locking surfaces in receiver to match the bolt, and minor dimensional accuracy improvements (mostly force matching non critical angles).

Changed up the render angles for fun.

vZAIBAl.jpg

MvlTBy8.jpg

o6JMk2A.jpg

Not yet. I'm leaning towards 5.56x45 for simplicity reasons, as well as ammunition selection, but other options are still on the table. Things based on 5.56 or 7.62x39 would be the easiest in terms of bolt face diameter and magazines.

On 3/20/2018 at 3:18 AM, Ulric said:

An interesting point of note; the cross pin hole in the receiver and the hinge block appear to be intentionally misaligned. The purpose is to use the 6mm diameter spring pin to tension the hinge block to the receiver by drawing it forward. I used a similar concept several years ago on a rifle chassis that I designed and prototyped. I needed a method of connecting the butt to the main chassis section that would be very rigid, and be forward compatible with a folding mechanism. What I ended up with was a series of tapered surfaces with the cross pin holes offset by 0.005". I continue to be very impressed with the results of that design to this day.

Bit late, but I just found something that reminded me of this - woodworkers call that "draw pegging"

http://www.chaplinoak.co.uk/draw-pegging/

Wood dowels rather than spring pins, but the concept is the same

50 hours. Left and right steel magazine body stampings, knurled bolt knob, hammer.

MJaZidZ.png

Magazine details. Still need the feed lip reinforcements, front and rear locking tabs, and internals.

V4udA1q.jpg

On 6/22/2018 at 12:11 AM, Ulric said:

So, a little quality time with a HAAS VF2SS and Bridgeport knee mill later, and my 80% Galil receiver is now 100%. The only reason for using the Bridgeport was for simpler operations that would have taken much longer to set up on the HAAS. Will post pics soon.

Happy 'Murica day everybody, I spent it building a rifle, smoking cigars, and drinking bourbon (in that order).

wPPG973.jpg

Still need to press the gas block into place and double check it's alignment, rivet some things into place, and then drill some holes. I am planning on giving it a park and paint.

Edit: Added RK-62 manual too it's not even 13 megabytes and much better than the R4 one. I'll pull more and add them here in new posts and in documents dump. 

Uploading you an R4 shop manual 70 something megabytes and digging around to see if I can find other good info hopefully with dims and stuff.

I'll also post other stuff I have... If anyone has requests please let me know, I have a disturbingly large collection of manuals with actual dimensioned drawings etc.

Including the one for the RP-46 kit which is just awesome IMO. 

I'll edit this post and the link will be in the bottom in probably an hour.

EDIT: (LINK FOLLOWS)

R4 Manual 72 megabytes

EDIT 2: (AS ABOVE)

RK-62 Armorer Manual 1985 Version (I don't speak Finnish but there's dimensions etc)