Sturgeon's House
  1. Alzoc

Alzoc

• Similar Content

• By Toxn
      So I got a request recently from {NAME REDACTED} as to whether we have a how-to guide or something for competitions. After a few moments of bitter, bitter laughter at the decade-plus of my life that I've spent cobbling together things that can maybe, sort-of, squint-your-eyes produce a facsimile of a realistic vehicle, I thought I'd share my process:

Note: I was half-right - we definitely have supplementary info for aspiring pretend tank designers pinned to this very board.

Finally, I'm inviting our forum grognards and past winners to share their process for folk that haven't been here since before the last ice age, so that all can benefit.
    • By Proyas
      Hi guys,

Does anyone know of any military studies that analyzed the reload speeds for different tanks? The question occurred to me when I watched this video tour of the T-55's interior: 

https://youtu.be/TEDhB9evPvw

At the 10:00 mark, Mr. Moran demonstrates how the loader would put a shell into the tank's cannon, and the effects of the turret's small size and of the loader's awkward seating make it clear that the process would be slow. My question is: how slow? 

Side question: Am I right to assume that storing the tank shells all over the inside of the turret like that is an inherent design flaw of the T-55 that makes it inferior in that regard to modern tanks? 

Thanks in advance. 
    • By N-L-M
      ATTENTION DUELISTS:
      @Toxn
      @LostCosmonaut
      @Lord_James
      @DIADES
      @Datengineerwill
      @Whatismoo
      @Kal
      @Zadlo
      @Xoon
      detailed below is the expected format of the final submission.
      The date is set as Wednesday the 19th of June at 23:59 GMT.
      Again, incomplete designs may be submitted as they are and will be judged as seen fit.

FINAL SUBMISSION:
      Vehicle Designation and name

[insert 3-projection (front, top, side) and isometric render of vehicle here)

Table of basic statistics:

Parameter

Value

Mass, combat

Length, combat (transport)

Width, combat (transport)

Height, combat (transport)

Ground Pressure, MMP (nominal)

Estimated Speed

Estimated range

Crew, number (roles)

Main armament, caliber (ammo count ready/stowed)

Secondary armament, caliber (ammo count ready/stowed)

Vehicle designer’s notes: explain the thought process behind the design of the vehicle, ideas, and the development process from the designer’s point of view.

Vehicle feature list:
      Mobility:

1.     Link to Appendix 1- RFP spreadsheet, colored to reflect achieved performance.

2.     Engine- type, displacement, rated power, cooling, neat features.

3.     Transmission- type, arrangement, neat features.

4.     Fuel- Type, volume available, stowage location, estimated range, neat features.

5.     Other neat features in the engine bay.

6.     Suspension- Type, Travel, ground clearance, neat features.

Survivability:

1.     Link to Appendix 1 - RFP spreadsheet, colored to reflect achieved performance.

2.     Link to Appendix 2- armor array details.

3.     Non-specified survivability features and other neat tricks- low profile, gun depression, instant smoke, cunning internal arrangement, and the like.

Firepower:

A.    Weapons:

1.     Link to Appendix 1- RFP spreadsheet, colored to reflect achieved performance.

2.     Main Weapon-

a.      Type

b.      Caliber

c.      ammunition types and performance (short)

d.     Ammo stowage arrangement- numbers ready and total, features.

e.      FCS- relevant systems, relevant sights for operating the weapon and so on.

f.      Neat features.

3.     Secondary weapon- Similar format to primary. Tertiary and further weapons- likewise.

4.     Link to Appendix 3- Weapon system magic. This is where you explain how all the special tricks related to the armament that aren’t obviously available using Soviet 1961 tech work, and expand to your heart’s content on extimated performance and how these estimates were reached.

B.    Optics:

1.     Primary gunsight- type, associated trickery.

2.     Likewise for any and all other optics systems installed, in no particular order.

C.    FCS:

1.     List of component systems, their purpose and the basic system architecture.

2.     Link to Appendix 3- weapon system magic, if you have long explanations about the workings of the system.

Fightability:

1.     List vehicle features which improve its fightability and useability.

Additonal Features:

Feel free to list more features as you see fit, in more categories.

Free expression zone: Let out your inner Thetan to fully impress the world with the fruit of your labor. Kindly spoiler this section if it’s very long.

Example for filling in Appendix 1
    • By Collimatrix
      Sturgeon's House started with a community of people who played tank games.  At the time, most of us were playing World of Tanks, but I think there were a few Warthunder and even Steel Beasts players mixed in there too.  After nearly five years, we must be doing something right because we're still here, and because we've somehow picked up a number of members who work with, or have worked with tanks in real life.

I know that @AssaultPlazma served as an Abrams loader, @Merc 321 and @Meplat have helped maintain and restore privately-owned armor, and @Xlucine has volunteered in a tank museum.  I'm sure I'm missing several more!

So, what are your favorite personal tank stories?