Sturgeon's House

There was a diagram from the LS-Dyna simulation software on some T-90S advertising poster, which suggests that the general armor layout of the T-90S' welded turret is identical to the T-72B turret; however armor thickness and materials might be different. I'll try to find the picture. The T-84 also seems to utilize the same armor as the T-80U, but with improved materials (much higher quality steel) and increased overall thickness (1,200 mm instead of 700-800 mm).

The T-72B doesn't use BDD though.

PS:

GEfekW4.jpg

The welded turret is supposedly made out of electro-slug refined steel, which provides 15% more protection than cast steel at the same weight/thickness. 

16 hours ago, SH_MM said:

The welded turret is supposedly made out of electro-slug refined steel, which provides 15% more protection than cast steel at the same weight/thickness. 

15% more protection isn't that big of an advantage compared to what you can get from high hardness steel, let alone steel laminates.  And it's very expensive too, not really worth the 15% improvement.

But ESR steel does have one big advantage in armor; it spalls much less when hit.  So I would expect ESR steel to be used sparingly, and only on the inside of the crew compartment to minimize the danger of spall.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Sturgeon
      I'll start off with a couple Pathe videos:

• By MrMartin
      Guide "How to tell the difference between T-90 and T-90A".

These are the most visible differences between T-90 and T-90A.
      I made this guide because I haven't seen any on this topic and majority of people don't even know there are these two variants (there are more) or don't know what is different between them, so I wanted to enlighten people.
      This guide is not 100% true because there are some "hybrid" T-90 which incorporate parts from both models, for example T-90A chassis (body, new tracks and engine)
      with T-90 cast turret = T-90K http://live.warthunder.com/post/599752/en/
      I didn't incorporated export(T-90S) models because they can be distinguished very easily by the complete lack of Shtora-1 EOCMDAS or by the missing MTShU-1-7 modulator such as T-90SA for Algeria, Armenia and Azerbaijan.

I am open to any suggestion or to constructive criticism. 

I hope this will help.

• By Collimatrix
      Most historical arms and armor were made of metal, leather and stone.  This is the thread for historical weapons and armor made of weird shit.

This is an example of armor made from the Gilbert islands made of thick, woven coconut fiber.  The helmet is made from a pufferfish.

I've seen a set similar to this in another museum.  The woven fiber body armor looked like it would be reasonably effective.  Coconut husk is pretty tough and the vest was very thick.  I wasn't so sure about the helmet.

The Gilbertese were also the foremost users of shark's tooth weapons, although other Polynesians used them as well:

Several historical examples I've seen are these strange, branching designs:

Polynesians were not the only ones to use teeth in their arms.  The Mycenian Greeks made helmets out of boars teeth.  One such helmet is described in the Iliad, and there are a few archeological discoveries of such:

And finally, a club used by Inuits made from the penis-bone of a walrus:

• By Collimatrix
      This is wonderful.

I learned:

1)  The leo 1 had poor hull armor, but excellent turret armor!

2)  Chieftain's armor was 16 inches thick!

4)  The T-64 was the Soviet's own version of the leopard(?!)

Actually, the materials science stuff seems solid, and jives with what I've heard before (but how much of that is people repeating this article?).