Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Name that AFV: The New Tank ID thread

Walter_Sobchak

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Yes you did, that's one in the picture.  ;)

I am not sure that this is UA and not just UK. Majority of UAs were for Cyprus, and about 10 vehicles for Russian Army.

UA was supposed to have gun muzzle reference system that is not visible on the photo because gun is in the way. There are almost no other visible differences, as UA modernisation of T-80Us is mainly FCS and gun-related changes. Thermal imager (Plisa) was offered as well, similar to T-80UE-1 Sp2, but on the photo that sight is covered by a tarp. The ERA block to the left of the gun can be different between T-80UK and UA AFAIK, with UA having both upper and lower part of K-5 ERA "wedge", wile UK have only 1 block, but i am not sure here as well. Never bothered much with those modernisation of 1.5 vehicles, that consist of getting some insignificant changes.

otvaga2004_tank_t80_04.jpg

1362111459_25D025A225D025B025D025BD25D025BA25D025A2-8025D025A325D02590.jpg

2 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

No one has attempted this one yet?

No leads, no.  You implied it was British, correct?

50 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

Yeah that was the easy part. ;)

There doesn't seem to be any unusual items or attachments, so I'm going with either the troop carrier version or a mortar carrier again.

3 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

Bonus round for infinite points:

8X4iJc1.jpg

A YA-4442 or something with a weird armored cab?

19 minutes ago, Scolopax said:

No leads, no.  You implied it was British, correct?

There doesn't seem to be any unusual items or attachments, so I'm going with either the troop carrier version or a mortar carrier again.

A YA-4442 or something with a weird armored cab?

It's indeed the normal troop carrier variant, the command variant has an extra antenna.

Well yes, it is an armoured cab. And it's a DAF but not a YA-4442.

On 6/25/2018 at 6:12 PM, Walter_Sobchak said:

Sorry for the image quality on this one.  And yes, this is an actual armored fighting vehicle.

20180625_1807591.jpg?w=680

Since nobody got it, I'll finish this one off.  It's the Martel "Mechanical Coffin".  Page 47, David Fletcher's book "Mechanized Force: British Tanks Between the Wars".  Martel had created some of the early tankettes in the late 1920's, but after a while, he decided those were too big.  So he created this silly thing.  A soldier was supposed to lay down in it and drive forward.  Once he got close to the enemy, it had a lift up panel he would use as armor and fire his rifle through.

1 minute ago, Scolopax said:

YA-5442 or another in the series.  That's my final guess, and I'm assuming that details on this thing are hidden in a book somewhere.

Nope!

It's a DAF YAZ-2300 'Mad Max'.

AUmAqwR.jpg

oTicdfo.jpg

pdtJOU2.jpg

hMW_jSStNETMuFH34cK-Aiyle58rEtXzHT9MyFSQ

When it was clear that the Netherlands army had to operate in ex-Yugoslav republics not much was known about the possible dangers. So in 5 weeks a unit called "770 Hrstcie" (770 repair company) build 20 armoured cabs for the YAZ-2300 which could be lifted over the cab by its own crane. The armoured cab itself was constructed with polymer plates in a steel frame. After it became clear that these cabs did not provide sufficient protection they were used as static emplacements for an encampment in Santici.  At least two variants existed.

Sources:

https://sites.google.com/site/dafmilitairevoertuigen/home/index/tactisch-militaire-voertuigen-1975-heden/daf-ya-2300/daf-yaz-2300-armoured

https://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/beeldbank/indeling/detail/start/21?q_searchfield=daf+yaz-2300

1 hour ago, Scolopax said:

Darn, I skipped over that series cause I was stuck with the idea that the thing only had 2 axles.  What I see now is an outrigger post behind the first set of wheels looks right now.  I figured the white paint job was UN related.

Something new

tLIQ0kh.jpg

Exf 

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, LoooSeR said:

I am not sure that this is UA and not just UK. Majority of UAs were for Cyprus, and about 10 vehicles for Russian Army.

It only has four smoke dischargers per side, T-80UK has six.....I reckon this is one of 'The Ten';)

PS - I didn't even like the T-80 until I found this place, now it's second only to the T-72 in my modern kit collection.  :rolleyes:

57 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It only has four smoke dischargers per side, T-80UK has six.....I reckon this is one of 'The Ten';)

PS - I didn't even like the T-80 until I found this place, now it's second only to the T-72 in my modern kit collection.  :rolleyes:

I see 6 per side (at least on the left side of the vehicle, right side is obscured by Shtora IR dazzler). 4 smoke grenade launcher is not exclusive to T-80UA as photos of T-80UA shows 6 per side, like on T-80UK.

There are clearly only four on the tank's right side. 

Six is the exclusive number of launchers AFAIK, exclusive to the T-80UK.....Given the rarity of the T-80UA, I'd be inclined to suspect that the tanks with Shtora and six launchers are more likely to be misidentified T-80UKs.

10 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

Should be easy.

Bonus points:

Reveal hidden contents

iBkmgP8.jpg

Top is AMX-D, or AMX-13 ARV

Bottom made me think of a Hungarian Csaba, but both parties of people in the pic and your posting of all things Dutch leads me to it being an Alvis-Straussler AC3D armored car.

WLxPFrf.jpg

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

There are clearly only four on the tank's right side. 

Six is the exclusive number of launchers AFAIK, exclusive to the T-80UK.....Given the rarity of the T-80UA, I'd be inclined to suspect that the tanks with Shtora and six launchers are more likely to be misidentified T-80UKs.

T-80UA have 6 launchers per side. I also was told on otvaga forum that vehicle on photo is UK.

13 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Véhicule blindé de combat d'infanterie

Sorry but missed.

A VBCI looks like this (one of the variant at least):

http://www.defense.gouv.fr/var/dicod/storage/images/base-de-medias/images/operations/afghanistan/15-10-10-afghanistan-le-vbci-en-vallee-de-tagab/le-vbci-en-vallee-de-tagab-4/903240-1-fre-FR/le-vbci-en-vallee-de-tagab-4.jpg

But the vehicle on the right of the photo is indeed a VCI variant (VCI literally stands for IFV, and VBCI for armored IFV)

Hint it was a modular plateform just the way the boxer is nowadays and was supposed to replace the AMX 13 for the export market.