Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Name that AFV: The New Tank ID thread

Walter_Sobchak

16 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

That was a low jab mate.

I wasn't writing off conscripts as hobbyists.

I was just saying that they were probably conscripts as they often tends to get the older, minimalist gear (hence looking a bit wonky).

4 minutes ago, roguetechie said:

Thanks!

That's a really neat picture of a really neat vehicle. I didn't have that one.

You have even more neat pictures of the Lockheed XM808 Twister in Hunnicutt's Armored Car - A History of American Wheeled Combat Vehicles, but pretty much everything penned by Hunnicutt, reprint or not, is rather pricey nowadays.

I'll pass the baton to someone else for the next picture, I'm kinda short on hard-to-recognize vehicles ATM.

13 minutes ago, roguetechie said:

Yeah I have digital copies of the books because while I do ok, I definitely don't do well enough to afford dead tree versions of his books.

Well, you can find that picture on p.216 of Armored Car. So, you see, you actually had it all along. :)

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

This is from Denmark, May of 1945

They're Renault UEs that apparently where converted into security vehicles by the Germans and are here in use by Danish resistance forces.  I've seen some similar version that was also a result of German re-purposing, but this one is new and interesting to me.

4876b098.jpg

21 hours ago, Scolopax said:

They're Renault UEs that apparently where converted into security vehicles by the Germans and are here in use by Danish resistance forces.  I've seen some similar version that was also a result of German re-purposing, but this one is new and interesting to me.

4876b098.jpg

That would be a Henschel HWK 13, a light scout tank that was a relative of the HWK 11 APC.

Someone else can go.  I don't know any obscure tanks.