Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Name that AFV: The New Tank ID thread

Walter_Sobchak

2 hours ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

ARL Char C or something like that 

Yes, the pic being of the wooden mock up after the Germans captured it.

1 hour ago, whelm said:

21lfJrX.png

5YMX7DT.png

Just enough details here for me to make a confident guess, but I'll see if anyone else wants to have a go first.

So, this is clearly a Lee or Sherman based design, as indicated by the engine, drive shaft, and roadwheels. I had originally thought it to be some earlier design for the Ram 3.7in spg, and later, possibly something related to the T53e1.  This second post of the top-down view throws that off for me, as it shows the turret having limited travese.  It still says the gun could be point up high though.  

47 minutes ago, Scolopax said:

So, this is clearly a Lee or Sherman based design, as indicated by the engine, drive shaft, and roadwheels. I had originally thought it to be some earlier design for the Ram 3.7in spg, and later, possibly something related to the T53e1.  This second post of the top-down view throws that off for me, as it shows the turret having limited travese.  It still says the gun could be point up high though.  

Your correct that it's related to the Ram 3.7" Evolution of that. Designed but never built.

3.7" Assault SPG

Y5AocWJ.png

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, That_Baka said:

su57s01-7de33bfbbafcb73d892dd367ad130efb

Something related to the SU-76 I am sure. Same T-70 chassis, same superstructure, but the gun is elongated and lacks a muzzle break. 

Hmmm.

EDIT: It's a 57mm gun, so it's the SU-57. 

I understand now why I haven't found it on the webz. It always showed me that inferior Sukhoi bird instead.

6 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Something related to the SU-76 I am sure. Same T-70 chassis, same superstructure, but the gun is elongated and lacks a muzzle break. 

Hmmm.

EDIT: It's a 57mm gun, so it's the SU-57. 

I understand now why I haven't found it on the webz. It always showed me that inferior Sukhoi bird instead.

May i presume that Warspot watermark helped in search? I should used SU-85B rear picture.

1 hour ago, That_Baka said:

May i presume that Warspot watermark helped in search? I should used SU-85B rear picture.

The watermark didn't help. I don't know who Warspot are. 

I knew from the beginning it was related to the SU-76 and remembered that there was a version with a 57mm gun, perhaps named SU-57.

But what finally confirmed this was a SU-57 was the fact that the link to the image contains the name. Right in the middle.

3 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

The watermark didn't help. I don't know who Warspot are. 

I knew from the beginning it was related to the SU-76 and remembered that there was a version with a 57mm gun, perhaps named SU-57.

But what finally confirmed this was a SU-57 was the fact that the link to the image contains the name. Right in the middle.

I taken this picture from Yuri Pasholok article on upgunning of Su-76M

https://warspot.ru/12623-lyogkie-sau-s-bolshimi-pushkami

204812qjzvatev6v7tsvs7.jpg

From a Japanese magazine PANZER screenshot, it says: 

This is a Type 61 tank with a sort of ad-hoc spaced armour, using for target practice in exercise. 

The armour plates surrounding the turret and side skirts make it looks like a WW2 German Panzer IV. 

The crew tried to pull out a practice round stucking in the side skirt, this round was fired from a recoilless rifle. 

According to the vegetation of the exercise range, the vehicle was painted in a 4-colour camouflage. 

• 9 months later...