Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Name that AFV: The New Tank ID thread

Walter_Sobchak

The Arabic script has me thinking this is Pakistani stuff, with a further assumption being that the tank on the left is an Al-Khalid.  However, our vehicle in question does not look too similar to the Al-Zarrar outside the suspension and driver position.  I'd hazard a guess at some sort of further upgrade of the Al-Zarrar (or Pakistani Type 59/69/79) with more armor and a new turret that's not a total sham.  Looking for more details still.

I suspect the model might not be the most exact depiction of the vehicle

56 minutes ago, Scolopax said:

The Arabic script has me thinking this is Pakistani stuff, with a further assumption being that the tank on the left is an Al-Khalid.  However, our vehicle in question does not look too similar to the Al-Zarrar outside the suspension and driver position.  I'd hazard a guess at some sort of further upgrade of the Al-Zarrar (or Pakistani Type 59/69/79) with more armor and a new turret that's not a total sham.  Looking for more details still.

I suspect the model might not be the most exact depiction of the vehicle

It is Arabic, which is a hint, but Pakistan doesn't use Arabic. 

Right, by looking at who actually does and does not use Arabic, as well as the criteria-fitting users of the Type-59/69/79, I came across it as being a Sudanese vehicle by the name of Al-Zubair 2.  It is a domestic vehicle based off of the Type 59D (I suppose that should have been apparent from the get-go).  It does seem to exist beyond the model.

Al-Zubair_2_DAA03_main_battle_tank_Sudan

That one was a nice challenge.  After reading up on it a bit, the producers state that it uses a 105mm smoothbore gun.  I was unaware anyone made those, but I'm also wondering if maybe it's a typo, as the Chinese 105mm gun is definitely rifled.

nmNolEV.jpg?1

On 7/8/2018 at 8:45 AM, Scolopax said:

Right, by looking at who actually does and does not use Arabic, as well as the criteria-fitting users of the Type-59/69/79, I came across it as being a Sudanese vehicle by the name of Al-Zubair 2.  It is a domestic vehicle based off of the Type 59D (I suppose that should have been apparent from the get-go).  It does seem to exist beyond the model.

Reveal hidden contents

Al-Zubair_2_DAA03_main_battle_tank_Sudan

That one was a nice challenge.  After reading up on it a bit, the producers state that it uses a 105mm smoothbore gun.  I was unaware anyone made those, but I'm also wondering if maybe it's a typo, as the Chinese 105mm gun is definitely rifled.

nmNolEV.jpg?1

Since no one got this (or even tried), I'll be blunt and post a new one:

c2f57745-b9f6-d745-d188-17e7453421b3.jpg