Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Britons are in trouble

Mighty_Zuk

Rheinmetall – MBT 130 mm Gun fitted to Challenger 2 LEP

Also shows a larger armour array fitted to the turret. Not sure if this is for LEP or RBSL looking to export or to increase scope of LEP:

sEQ2XLC.jpg
DGvwTnW.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenger 2 ATDU - Early 90's

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

British Companies to Manufacture Military Vehicles in Algeria?

An editorial in a Spanish newspaper mentions that British companies are setting up to manufacture military vehicles in Algeria.
I haven't heard anything about this is British news and Algeria seems focused on buying German (Fuchs-2, Boxer, Lynx 41? Gladius kit). I wonder if this is Rheinmetall/KMW working through RBSL/WFEL/others to avoid German/EU regulations?

Apart from tourism, in that region on the border with Algeria, British metal construction companies are also setting up to manufacture military vehicles; and they also exploit two gas wells, with studies carried out to drill another two in the future.

https://www.elespanol.com/reportajes/20200719/mohamed-vi-reino-unido-desafia-espana-marroqui/506199908_0.html

29 minutes ago, David Moyes said:

An editorial in a Spanish newspaper mentions that British companies are setting up to manufacture military vehicles in Algeria.
I haven't heard anything about this is British news and Algeria seems focused on buying German (Fuchs-2, Boxer, Lynx 41? Gladius kit). I wonder if this is Rheinmetall/KMW working through RBSL/WFEL/others to avoid German/EU regulations?

Algeria is not buying AFVs from Germany, but factories and licenses. The Fuchs 2 is made by a company owned by the Algerian MoD, Rheinmetall Algeria holds only 5% of the shares of the production company.

40 minutes ago, SH_MM said:

Algeria is not buying AFVs from Germany, but factories and licenses. The Fuchs 2 is made by a company owned by the Algerian MoD, Rheinmetall Algeria holds only 5% of the shares of the production company.

I'm aware. Just theorising how the article came to this conclusion.

4 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

For me I wonder if the 31 round count reported earlier was for the 130mm gun instead of the 120mm.

It was stated that the number is for unitary rounds. 130 mm unitary round is too heavy and large for human loader so it has to be stored in an autoloader but I think that there is not enough space in the bustle for 31x 130 mm autoloader. So let's say that there is less than that but storing a portion of those massive unitary 130 mm rounds somewhere in the hull doesn't sound right either. Also the original tweet posted on the last page explicitely named L55A1 and that is 120 mm gun. Therefore I think that the number was indeed valid for the 120 mm.  

14 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

For me I wonder if the 31 round count reported earlier was for the 130mm gun instead of the 120mm.

Mr. Hawkes was talking to Rheinmetall personnel specifically regarding the Challenger 2 LEP offer with 120 mm L/55A1 smoothbore gun: "following introduction of the L55A1 in notional CR2 LEP is going to reduce round count from 49 to 31". In Rheinmetall's video footage, one can already see that the turret only provides space for rounds of 16 main gun ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

British Army to test Hybrid-Electric AFVs

Hybrid electric technology is being tested in British military armoured vehicles to make them stealthier on the battlefield and more environmentally friendly.

The Foxhound, a wheeled patrol vehicle that carries personnel, and the Jackal 2, a high-mobility reconnaissance vehicle that also transports troops, are being tested with the new systems.

Prototype hybrid models based on each fleet, funded by a £3 million investment from the Ministry of Defence, are to be demonstrated at a military exhibition in November.

The aim is for the two upgraded army vehicles to have better mobility and reduce engine noise to boost their stealth capability.

General Sir Mark Carleton-Smith, head of the army, served notice last September that the service would undergo a green revolution. He said the tanks and vehicles used now would be the last to run on fossil fuels, as he advocated more clean technology, including solar power.

Boosting the army’s green credentials is key to attracting Generation Z recruits, who care about employers’ attitudes towards climate change, he added.

The proposal to upgrade the Foxhound and Jackal 2 comes after the armed forces introduced the high-altitude Zephyr drone, powered by solar energy. Soldiers increasingly use solar-powered batteries on operations.

Lieutenant-General Richard Nugee, who is leading a climate change and sustainability review at the MoD, said: “It is great to see the army testing electric vehicles that will benefit not only our world-class personnel but also our planet.” His review is focused on helping the MoD to reduce emissions so the government can fulfil its pledge to reach net zero emissions by 2050.

The hybrid vehicles will be developed by the British companies NP Aerospace, Supacat and Magtec. General Dynamics UK will collaborate on the initiative. The army has a fleet of 2,200 armoured vehicles.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-military-tests-out-eco-friendly-vehicles-hxpxkl0lq

The contract award is part of the Protected Mobility Engineering & Technical Support (PMETS) programme which is being led by NP Aerospace as the Engineering Authority for the vehicle fleet. General Dynamics Land Systems–UK and Supacat are the partner vehicle OEMs, and Magtec is the electric drive and battery technology partner.

Developed by Magtec in the UK, the hybrid electric e-drive solution for Jackal and Foxhound is intended to deliver multiple technical and operational enhancements, including (but not limited to);

• Silent mobility;
  • Enhanced Silent Watch capabilities;
  • Off-board electrical power;
  • Increased onboard power for the insertion of the latest technologies.

This is the first time that this type of technology system has been applied to vehicles covered under the PMETS programme. The production of demonstrator vehicles will enable the MoD to analyse the operational impact of new technical capabilities.

https://supacat.com/newsevents/news/uk-mod-awards-contract-demonstrate-electric-drive-jackal-vehicles/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...