Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

1 minute ago, Toxn said:

@N-L-M Are you also going for the spinning approach using a gyro to correct for missile body orientation?

Yes. humans are not good at correcting non-zero side accelerations.
Also the PID control is fully realizable with solid-state electronics, which are now available. No need for steampunk.

5 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

Yes. humans are not good at correcting non-zero side accelerations.

Nice. I'm keen :D

7 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

Also the PID control is fully realizable with solid-state electronics, which are now available. No need for steampunk.

Indeed, but my understanding is that transistors are very new (again) and the implementation juice might not be worth the squeeze (pneumatic PID lasted well into the transistor age, after all). You should ask @LostCosmonaut about what is possible here.

JWckGhX.png
Thanks to the miracle of asset reuse, the Red Fox is more detailed than it has any right to be. The gun is a 35mm autocannon, and the cupola and optics (and hatches) stolen from the Norman.
The render may not get significantly more complex than the current state, as I lack the time.

Regarding the missile, a few notes which popped up:
>The intent is to have an MCLOS missile broadly analogous to the AT-5 Spandrel (Though with a larger missile body), easily upgradeable to SACLOS when the tech arrives without loss of capability relative to a purpose-built SACLOS like the AT-5.
>The missile is lightly spun to maintain direction throughout flight without requiring constant operator input

>I'm also intending for an MLU to replace the rocket motors and warheads

>There's space in the nose for a precursor, and the warhead sits a bit further back than is good for it with existing HEAT tech, because a 160mm HEAT warhead even at standoff greater than optimal will kill things pretty dead, and later warheads will benefit from the standoff.

Regarding the concept- light tanks are not intended to go toe-to-toe with MBTs or heavy tanks. The 35mm allows the destruction of anything short of a medium tank from the front, and mediums/MBTs at close range from the sides and rear.
The missiles are intended to allow self defense and ambush capability against the heaviest vehicles the enemy can field, as well as the destruction of fortifications and strong points, in the absence of heavy enemy armor.

30 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

JWckGhX.png
Thanks to the miracle of asset reuse, the Red Fox is more detailed than it has any right to be. The gun is a 35mm autocannon, and the cupola and optics (and hatches) stolen from the Norman.
The render may not get significantly more complex than the current state, as I lack the time.

Regarding the missile, a few notes which popped up:
>The intent is to have an MCLOS missile broadly analogous to the AT-5 Spandrel (Though with a larger missile body), easily upgradeable to SACLOS when the tech arrives without loss of capability relative to a purpose-built SACLOS like the AT-5.
>The missile is lightly spun to maintain direction throughout flight without requiring constant operator input

>I'm also intending for an MLU to replace the rocket motors and warheads

>There's space in the nose for a precursor, and the warhead sits a bit further back than is good for it with existing HEAT tech, because a 160mm HEAT warhead even at standoff greater than optimal will kill things pretty dead, and later warheads will benefit from the standoff.

Regarding the concept- light tanks are not intended to go toe-to-toe with MBTs or heavy tanks. The 35mm allows the destruction of anything short of a medium tank from the front, and mediums/MBTs at close range from the sides and rear.
The missiles are intended to allow self defense and ambush capability against the heaviest vehicles the enemy can field, as well as the destruction of fortifications and strong points, in the absence of heavy enemy armor.

You make me want to design a wheeled death trap. But sadly no...

2 hours ago, N-L-M said:

PID per Ziegler-Nichols from operator command to servo command, servos on open loop.
Where, of course, the full deflection of the operator's joystick would translate to full deflection of control surfaces at launch, decreasing with flight time to allow better accuracy.
Space in the turret has been cleared for the SACLOS conscan device, when such a thing will be ready.
Also, there's a damned good reason I'm not going with TVC.

Could you make a flowchart showing the how the PIDs would work?

1 hour ago, Toxn said:

Nice. I'm keen :D

Indeed, but my understanding is that transistors are very new (again) and the implementation juice might not be worth the squeeze (pneumatic PID lasted well into the transistor age, after all). You should ask @LostCosmonaut about what is possible here.

Thyristors? Anyways, electronic PIDs were readily available by the 1950s in the cheap. Pneumatic PIDs were favored simply for their ability to actuate valves and such without a needing extra equipment. 

Also, as a side question, could I theoretically make a my own autoloader design for my AFV? 
Or FCS?

1 hour ago, Xoon said:

Could you make a flowchart showing the how the PIDs would work?

Electronic-circuit-implementation-of-an-

The amplifiers are the bit that benefits from transistors, as opposed to vaccum tubes. What the wiring inside each amp block looks like I'm not sure, I'm not very well aware of how exactly the internals of amplifiers work. I have a few friends who are electrical engineers, I'll ask one.

Edit: wiki has a pretty good rundown on the internals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier

Edited by N-L-M
Wiki link

4 hours ago, N-L-M said:

Electronic-circuit-implementation-of-an-

The amplifiers are the bit that benefits from transistors, as opposed to vaccum tubes. What the wiring inside each amp block looks like I'm not sure, I'm not very well aware of how exactly the internals of amplifiers work. I have a few friends who are electrical engineers, I'll ask one.

Edit: wiki has a pretty good rundown on the internals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier

I am sorry, I guess I was a bit vague. I think I meant block diagram, something like this:
pidloop.jpg

Also, since I have had some free time (and gave up 3 hours of sleep) I began designing the P2239, kodename "Badekar":

Mock up:
zaRWwEC.png

Prototype rolled frontal armor:
b2NpIKU.png

Prototype cast frontal armor:
ttA2DE1.png

I am probably going to test other armor solutions, need to find some decent spaced/composite armor that fit the timeframe. 

PART ONE OF FIVE

The XM12 Donward: Cascadia's First Main Battle Tank?

by Cho Wilson

To the tank crews who served with them in the First and Second Californian Wars, and the Idaho War, it was the M15 Roach that wears the title of "first main battle tank of the Cascade Republic". These flexible tanks were the mainstay of the Cascadian Army for over 35 years, and for many of those they went unmatched in firepower and armor by the tanks of the Democratic California Republic and the Holy State of Deseret. If we were to look back, however, we'd see that another, even earlier tank contends for the title - the lesser-known M12 Donward, and its prototypes.

Development of the Heavy Tank, M12, Donward began in the late 2230s with a realization within the CR Army that the long post-war period of tribal pacification was coming to an end, and a new era of potential conflict between industrialized nations was now beginning. The re-formed nation of California to the South, and Deseret to the East, had begun to challenge the Cascade Republic's hold on the regions near Oregon and Idaho. Informed by this, the CR Army determined that existing M6 Light Tanks, which were designed for ease of maintenance within the context of mobile peacekeeping operations against poorly equipped barbarian forces, would be insufficient to meet the needs of the remade world. Therefore, the CR Army Ordnance released a solicitation for two new tanks which would overmatch the tanks both in service and under development by the Deseret, and especially Californian armies. The specification called for a medium weighing no more than 45 tons with at least 3 inches of armor, and a light tank weighing no more than 25 tons with at least 1 inch of armor. These requirements were released as part of a solicitation package to the Cascadian design bureaus, who began their work.

The M12's story begins with Bureau 39, a semi-private organization formed from the government design bureau which had been responsible for the earlier M1 Armored Car (originally the Field Kit, Truck, M1 before the restart of truck production) that was used extensively in pacification campaigns. Upon the release of the CR Army solicitation for a new tank in 2239, Bureau 39 undertook to create a tank design that would not only meet, but far exceed, the solicitation's specifications. A study of pre-war tank design, as well as a survey of Cascadian production capabilities, indicated that a vehicle far exceeding the requirements could be readily built and produced within the 45 tonne weight limit. The initial design prompt - called "Project 20" - issued internally to the Bureau called for "a tank of pre-war power and effectiveness, capable of being upgraded and used well into the 2280s and beyond" - this philosophy underpinned the Bureau's design effort from the beginning.

Initial analysis done in support of Project 20 looked at several successful pre-war tanks, as well as promising prototypes which nevertheless did not reach production. First design studies took their cues mainly from the Centurion, M103, and Patton, but Bureau notes indicate that the US T95 and T54 tanks played their own role in inspiration as well. Early on, an elliptical glacis plate of 4.4" thick was chosen, mated to a cast hull. Although Cascadian industry was relatively new to casting large objects from armor steel, it was determined that this would be the best and cheapest way to produce hulls with the degree of protection called for by Bureau Director Gordon White. Even so, the hull was engineered so that, in the event that casting it in one piece was not feasible, it could still be welded from plates, or cast in multiple pieces and then welded into a whole. The hull was made big enough to house the 750 horsepower air- and liquid-cooled engines then in development. The crew complement was to be four based on pre-war convention.

rrIAzTw.jpg

The XM12E1 hull cast test article, with attached wooden mockup side skirts and turret. This was an important validation article which proved the viability of casting hulls as a single piece. Note the early-style fully enclosed commander's cupola.

Leaning on pre-war experience, Director White instructed his designers to use the same 85-inch turret ring in all their designs. The reason for this was twofold, as White explained in his memoirs:

"The Bureau had multiple projects [to meet the solicitation] ongoing simultaneously. There was a lot of competition, which I felt was a good thing. It was myself, James Whittle, and Kim Wu, and we decided the way to get the best submissions was to have everybody come up with their own ideas and pick the best form them. But at the same time, we needed to standardize some things, so that we could combine the best elements of different designs. I pushed for an 85-inch turret ring, because that size lasted from 1951 until the end of the war almost 70 years later. It's really hard to beat that kind of flexibility. We also knew that eventually, there would be a need for guns as large as 140mm, and you need a bigger turret to accommodate that. So everyone was told to design around the 85-inch ring. I didn't see the need for anything smaller."

The weapon chosen to arm Project 20 was significantly smaller than a 140mm cannon, however. CR Army Ordnance had directed designers to arm their tanks with current-issue APCR ammunition in mind, and internal Bureau 39 studies had indicated that a new 85mm weapon along with an optimized projectile design would produce the best penetration with APCR at long ranges. This gun was commissioned with the test designation 85mm Anti-Tank Gun XM34, and twelve tubes were produced for testing and sent to the Bureau's headquarters. To house the gun, Director White had selected a three-man "needlenose" turret designed by Bureau engineer Art Janson, which used a combined mount for both the XM34 and its auxiliary XM151 20mm autocannon. A wooden mockup validated the ergonomics of the hull and turret combination, and the design was finalized with vision and fire control elements, including a fully enclosed commander's hatch with 10 vision blocks, and stereoscopic rangefinders with cast-in mounts. With the basic design wrapped up, the plans were sent to CR Army Ordnance, who elected to fund further development of the tank, beginning with a mockup and cast hull test article. During this time additional studies indicated that a more compact cupola design with an externally-mounted and remotely fired gun on an erectable mount would be both cheaper and better. Instead of 10 vision blocks, this new turret had 7 blocks and a fully rotatable top-mounted periscope. In June of 2240, four prototypes of the freshly dubbed "Medium Tank XM12E1" were commissioned, made with fully cast armor steel hulls and turrets, the new style of cupolas, and functional guns. 

oE1AYE1.jpg

One of the four XM12E1 prototypes on winter exercises in Elliot Forest, in the Oregon state of the Cascade Republic, late 2240.

All four test models were put into validation trials in Oregon, where they underwent cross-country, rough terrain, cold weather, and automotive endurance tests. Powered by a relatively thirsty 850 horsepower gasoline engine, the XM12E1 gave good reliability and mobility, but left something to be desired where range was concerned. The original 21-inch-wide single-pin track also had a tendency to shear, leading to its replacement during testing with newly designed double pin tracks. However, the generously-sized doubled roadwheel assemblies gave good resistance to slush, dirt, and mud, and were recommended by the testing Board. During the trials, crew accommodations were found to be very generous, as XM12E1 crews found that they not only had plenty of room to manage all of their fighting tasks, but the tank also provided space for "live-in" operations, where crews would be required to inhabit their tanks for hours or days at a time. The biggest shortcoming in crew ergonomics was that the fairly tall XM12E1s had insufficient handholds for climbing, which was solved by welding "jungle gym" bars onto the turrets of the test vehicles.

MFBMWtS.jpg

Designed for mountain combat, an XM12E1 demonstrates its ability to traverse rocky obstacles during rough terrain trials in Eastern Oregon.

After automotive and cross country trials were complete, the XM12E1 prototypes were returned to the factory for repair and fitment of newly produced prototype stereoscopic rangefinders, stabilizers, and other internal hardware. These tanks were then sent back to CR Army Ordnance for additional testing, including gunnery and troop trials. The results of these trials showed that the Donward was an accurate and stable gun platform with the 85mm gun, but there were some reliability issues with the vertical stabilizers and they were removed for the remainder of testing. At the same time, two sets of armor hull, turret, and skirts castings were made for protection testing against both captured Californian guns and experimental Cascadian designs then in development. Testing revealed that the XM12E1's glacis was immune to fire from the 89mm Californian gun across the frontal 30 degree arc at all distances, while the turret was immune across the 45 degree arc at all distances unless hit on the bustle at very close range (<100m). Versus the new Cascadian XM34 85mm gun, the XM12E1's turret and glacis both were immune across a 30 degree arc at all ranges, except for a very small area just above the turret ring which could be penetrated at close range. At 45 degrees, the turret was vulnerable to the 89mm gun to about 1,000 meters, but this was deemed acceptable. The hull and turret sides were vulnerable to the 89mm gun at all ranges, though this was well within specifications. The lower glacis was deemed one of the more vulnerable areas of the tank, able to be penetrated by both the 89mm and 85mm guns, as well as the smaller Californian 70mm guns at very close ranges.

hj3zeUx.jpg

An XM12E1 prototype illustrates the excellent gun depression of the type with its 85mm high velocity gun while on gunnery validation trials in Eastern Oregon. Note the "jungle gym" handholds welded to the turret.

XM12E1 Donward

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

Crew: 4

Length (gun forward): 9.78 m

Length (gun to rear): 8.75 m

Length (w/o gun): 7.37 m

Gun Overhang (gun forward): 1.46 m

Width (over skirts): 3.47 m

Width (without skirts): 3.35 m

Height (to roof): 2.61 m

Height (to 7.62 MG): 2.95 m

Ground Clearance: 0.61 m

Turret Ring Diameter (inside): 85 in

Weight, Curb: 43,038 kg

Weight, Gross: 45,303 kg

Power to Weight Ratio (gross): 18.8 hp/t

Ground Pressure: 11.4 PSI

PROTECTION

Hull armor:

Upper glacis - 4.4" at 28 degrees - 239mm LOS (slightly elliptical)

Lower glacis - 3" at 44.6 degrees - 108mm LOS

Side - 2" at 15 degrees, plus 1" side skirts spaced at 22-38" - 78.4mm
LOS

Turret armor:

0 degrees: 512mm at forehead, 240mm at nose, 186mm above ring

15 degrees: 502mm at forehead, 220mm at nose, 167mm above ring, 339mm sides

30 degrees: 358mm at forehead, 200mm at nose, 147mm above ring, 175mm sides

45 degrees: 262mm at forehead, 154mm at nose, 136mm above ring, 124mm sides

ARMAMENT

Primary: 85x640mmR XM34 L/50 Rifled Gun

Traverse: Electrohydraulic and manual, 360 degrees

Traverse Rate (max): 24 d/s, 15 seconds/360 degrees

Elevation: Electrohydraulic and manual, +25/-10 degrees

Elevation Rate: 15 d/s

Firing Rate (max): 8 rounds/min

Stabilizer: Vertical

Secondary:

(1) 20x140mm XM151 autocannon, coaxial
    (1) 7.62mm M240 machine gun, coaxial
    (1) .50 caliber M2 machine gun, commander's hatch
    (1) 7.62mm M240 machine gun, loader's position
    Provision for (1) 9mm M95 Submachine Gun

AMMUNITION

62 rounds 85x640mmR
    500 rounds 20x140mm
    800 rounds .50 caliber
    6,000 rounds 7.62mm (coaxial)
    1,200 rounds 7.62mm (loader)
    210 rounds 9mm
    24 smoke grenades

FIRE CONTROL AND VISION EQUIPMENT

Primary Weapon:

Direct: Gunner's Primary Sight
        Gunner's Auxiliary Sight
        Ballistic Calculator
        Stereoscopic Rangefinder

Indirect: Azimuth Indicator
          Elevation Quadrant
          Gunner's Quadrant

Vision Devices:

Driver: Periscopes (3), Night Vision

Commander: Periscope Vision Blocks (7), Rotatable         
    Periscope (1), Weapon Sight (1)

Gunner: Gunner's Primary Sight, Gunner's Auxiliary Sight

Loader: Periscope (1)

POWERPLANT

XG850 850 hp air-cooled turbocharged V12 gasoline engine, 29.4 L displacement,
cross-drive transmission

Very nice!

I used tank designer to estimate the mass of all mine (sketchup struggles with volume).

I'm now wondering if its very accurate, though, given that I've managed to come up with a tank that's smaller than yours in almost every dimension but still weighs about the same :mellow:

6 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Very nice!

I used tank designer to estimate the mass of all mine (sketchup struggles with volume).

I'm now wondering how if its very accurate at all, though, given that I've managed to come up with a tank that's smaller than yours in almost every dimension but still weighs about the same :mellow:

Might be because yours is bawksier.

PART TWO OF FIVE

The XM12 Donward: Cascadia's First Main Battle Tank?

by Cho Wilson

As testing of the XM12E1 was ongoing, the engineers at Bureau 39 were already considering the next round of improvements for the tank. By this point, the Cascadian government had received intelligence that the Democratic California Republic was working on an 89mm gun that would equal or exceed the performance of the XM34 gun which was originally slated to arm the M12. It also seemed likely, given precedent, that Californian engineers would be hard at work on their own tank which would withstand guns of similar performance, and that therefore a larger, more powerful gun would be required. Two such guns were developed, the 100mm Gun XM42, and the 120mm Gun XM43. The 100mm XM42 was an enlarged, but broadly conventional gun firing a 35lb steel shot at 3,000 ft/s, where the XM43 was a new concept engineered around achieving the highest possible muzzle velocity with an APCR projectile. The 120mm projectile of the XM43 used the same weight penetrator as the APCR round of the 85mm XM34, but achieved an almost 400 ft/s  higher muzzle velocity of over 4,200 ft/s. However, striking energy of the core was no higher at extended ranges, and testing showed that the core was prone to shattering at close ranges, while the 120mm case itself was too small, and its overall length too short to give any appreciable advantage with full caliber steel projectiles. One prototype XM12E3 was produced, and later converted as a test platform for newer 152mm guns which will be discussed later.

8ilD9eh.jpg

A rare image of the prototype XM12E3 on tactical road trials. Note the distinctive conical muzzle brake of the 120mm main gun. The single XM12E3 built was only lightly tested, and eventually converted into a testbed for the 152mm XM12E4.

Ballistic testing of the new 100mm XM42 gun had, on the other hand, proven rather successful, with the gun's full-bore APCBC round becoming the first such tank gun in CR Army history to punch through an 8-inch thick block of RHA at a kilometer. The round demonstrated the ability to penetrate such thick armor at this distance 83% of the time at in tests, which led to its selection as main armament for the next battle tank over both the XM34 85mm and the XM43 120mm guns. As an added boon, the newest APCR rounds developed for the 100mm had demonstrated superior penetration against thick armor steels than either the 85mm or 120mm APCR rounds then in testing. Thus, four more prototypes, designated XM12E2, were ordered armed with the 100mm gun nestled alongside a 20x140mm coaxial autocannon. Thanks to the design of Janson's generously-sized turret, the XM42 gun could depress and elevate through the same -10/+25 degree arc as its predecessor, giving the XM12E2 a tremendous degree of mountain fighting capability.

bcHHePE.jpg

An XM12E2 prototype showing off its gun depression near a man-made lake somewhere in Southern Cascadia. Also clearly visible is the 20mm coaxial autocannon. Note the lack of handholds on the turret.

Three of the XM12E2 prototypes were sent off to troop trials beginning early in 2242, and a further two XM12E1 tanks were converted to XM12E2 standard to create enough tanks for a full platoon to be used in exercises. The receiving unit was the legendary "Howling Hawks" of 1st Squadron, 303rd Cavalry Regiment. This "experimental platoon" was crucial to developing familiarity and experience with modern battle tanks, it being the first unit in CR Army history so equipped. In exercises with the 303rd, the speed and agility of the XM12E2s was made apparent, as the Regiment's M6 Light Tanks - despite weighing only a third as much - had difficulty keeping up with the new vehicle. However, the range of the XM12E2 with the 850 horsepower air-cooled XG850 engine remained a major limitation for the type. Due to this, a recommendation was submitted to CR Army Ordnance for a new engine with lower specific fuel consumption. This recommendation was finally met in late 2243 with the new XD750 diesel engine, a derivative of the XG850. By the time this change was approved, the 303rd had been operating their five XM12E2 tanks for over a year and a half, and the program itself was nearly five years old, yet still recommendations for changes were being submitted to CR Army Ordnance from factions both external and internal. It was at this point that the issue was brought to the Cascadian Congress, who decided that the CR Army must decide on a configuration for the new tank, or cancel the project. Unable to reconcile the conflicting needs and wants of the different branches, the Cascadian Army canceled the XM12 project and put the existing tanks in mothballs.

O5fiquj.jpg

An XM12E2 on troop trials with the 303rd in Ashford, Washington, Cascade Republic, 2242.

XM12E2 Donward

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

Length (gun forward): 9.83 m

Length (gun to rear): 8.81 m

Gun Overhang (gun forward): 2.41 m

Weight, Curb: 43,164 kg

Weight, Gross: 45,490 kg

Power to Weight Ratio (gross): 16.5 hp/t [late]

PROTECTION

Hull armor:

LOS

Turret armor:

ARMAMENT

Primary: 100x685mmR XM42 L/52 Rifled Gun

Firing Rate (max): 7 rounds/min

Secondary:

AMMUNITION

42 rounds 100x685mmR
    500 rounds 20x140mm
    800 rounds .50 caliber
    210 rounds 9mm
    24 smoke grenades

Primary Weapon:

Gunner's Auxiliary Sight
        Ballistic Calculator
        Stereoscopic Rangefinder

Elevation Quadrant
          Gunner's Quadrant

Vision Devices:

POWERPLANT

cross-drive transmission [early]

XD750 750 hp air-cooled turbocharged V12 diesel, 29.4 L displacement,
cross-drive transmission [late]

XM12E3 Donward

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

Length (gun forward): 9.86 m

Length (gun to rear): 8.83 m

Gun Overhang (gun forward): 2.49 m

Weight, Curb: 43,313 kg

Weight, Gross: 45,585 kg

Power to Weight Ratio (gross): 18.8 hp/t

PROTECTION

Hull armor:

LOS

Turret armor:

ARMAMENT

Primary: 120x640mmR XM43 L/44 Rifled Gun

Elevation Rate: 12 d/s

Firing Rate (max): 5 rounds/min

Secondary:

AMMUNITION

36 rounds 120x640mmR
    800 rounds .50 caliber
    210 rounds 9mm
    24 smoke grenades

Primary Weapon:

Gunner's Auxiliary Sight
        Ballistic Calculator
        Stereoscopic Rangefinder

Elevation Quadrant
          Gunner's Quadrant

Vision Devices:

POWERPLANT

cross-drive transmission

PART THREE OF FIVE

The M15 Roach: Cascadia's Chariot of Victory

by Greg Quartermain

Through three major wars and numerous smaller conflicts, one vehicle has been the mainstay of the CR Army's armored forces: The M15 Roach, named after General Ernst Roach who commanded Washingtonian forces in the Pacification Wars of the 2160s, is an example of such fine design from Cascadian engineers that, even 40 years after it entered service, the type is still going strong through upgrades and steady low rate production. Despite being the first Cascadian Main Battle Tank (MBT) to see service, the M15 is still a front line vehicle, capable of contending with even the latest tanks California or Colorado can throw at us. Since the type is expected to be replaced by 2300 by the fruits of the CR Army's Next Generation Armor (NGA) program, let's take a look at this venerable chariot of death, here at Cascade Defense.

zhUtV1Q.jpg

An M15A7 near Mt. Bachelor, Cascadia.

In the 2230s, new challenges were arising which threatened the security of the Cascadian state. To the South, the despotic regime of the DCR was rapidly industrializing, its sights set on Oregon. To the East, the religious fanatics of the now-defunct state of Deseret had their tentacles gripped tightly around Idaho. Of the peoples of post-war Western Central North America, only the Cascadians knew the sweet taste of freedom, but there was danger. Decades of low intensity pacification conflicts had left the Cascadian Army complacent and ill-equipped to handle the threat of a modern, industrialized state - let alone two. If freedom were to survive, Cascadia would need a new plan, and new arms. Fortunately, the a brilliant engineer named Brandon Jimenez stepped up to the plate. Working for Cascadia Land Industries, Jiminez developed a radical new tank - unlike any made before - which combined a simple and rugged hull with a totally novel cast "frying pan" turret - producing a vehicle that was fast, well-armored, and well-armed. At the same time, his design - called Object A5 for secrecy during development - would accommodate numerous upgrades during its long service life, which has given Cascadian Army forces the edge in armored combat for over four decades.

VkyK0n1.jpg

An M15A2 in action during the Mormon War, 2251.

Jiminez designed the M15 himself as a side project while working at CLI - taking time off from developing a prototype for the Cascadian Army's self-propelled howitzer project to carve his designs out of wood (yes, really!). In 2243, the design caught the eye of the Cascadian Army Ordnance Corps, who were looking for a new tank to replace their old-but-trustworthy M6 Lights. The Army wanted to test Jiminez's new design, but to do so they needed to give it a new name: XM15 (X for eXperimental). These brand new tanks came out of the gate with over 200 millimeters of armor and a 100-millimeter gun - far more than any enemy tanks of the time! Naturally, the Army was smitten, and so the design was chosen for production with the first M15 "Roach" tanks rolling off the lines in 2246, just three years before the beginning of the Mormon War. In that conflict, Roaches came as a major shock to brainwashed Mormon forces, who had nothing comparable in their arsenal. The rapid destruction of the Deseret Expeditionary Corps has been credited to the employment of superior M15 Roach tanks and their tough armor and 100-millimeter guns. Although the war in Idaho wouldn't be finished for another 4 years, the "mail gauntlet" of M15 Roach tanks was key to breaking the back of their army proper within the first year.

lvnFIvb.jpg

An M15A4 crew enjoys a sunset joyride through the streets of Oakland during the 2265 Second California War.

Since then, the Roach has been upgraded. The two California Wars of 2251 and 2265 showed that the engineers working under whip and cuff in the despotic DCR regime had not been idle. New medium and heavy tanks from the South had guns that could - sometimes - kill or immobilize the M15. Plus, their infantry began carrying rockets that could endanger Roach crews with a lucky shot. Therefore, Cascadian engineers added armor to the turret and "skirts" along the outside of the tracks which helped defuse rocket warheads and stop cannon shells. Later upgrades included a new, bigger 152-millimeter gun, and special top secret "Chelan" armor to protect it against the latest guns. Bigger engines to move around all that armor, and new sights to make the bigger guns more accurate too were also added. The newest versions, called M18, even have a totally new turret incorporating the latest armor and additional stowage for the big 152-millimeter shells. With these upgrades, the Roach remains the premiere main battle tank of the world, even 40 years later!

Q1BwscD.jpg

The latest M18A1 Roach on display outside of the 2288 Cascadian Defense Industry Conference.

M15A2 Roach

cNcUief.png

YGgOEnu.png

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

Length (gun forward): 9.07 m

Length (gun to rear): 8.60 m

Length (w/o gun): 6.72 m

Gun Overhang (gun forward): 2.35 m

Width: 3.29 m

Height (to roof): 2.60 m

Height (to 7.62 MG): 2.860 m

Ground Clearance: 0.71 m

Weight, Curb: 35,225 kg

Weight, Gross: 38,103 kg

Power to Weight Ratio (gross): 16.4 hp/t

Ground Pressure: 9.1 PSI

PROTECTION

Hull armor:

Upper glacis - 55mm at 5 degrees - 631mm LOS

Lower glacis - 125mm at 45 degrees - 177mm LOS

Side - 80mm at 0 degrees

Turret armor:

0 degrees: 225mm at base, 225mm at top of gun shield, 225mm at roof

15 degrees: 227mm at base, 212mm at top of gun shield, 217mm at roof

30 degrees: 234mm at base, 197mm at top of gun shield, 211mm at roof

45 degrees: 235mm at base, 191mm at top of gun shield, 198mm at roof

60 degrees: 223mm at base, 187mm at top of gun shield, 191mm at roof

ARMAMENT

Elevation: Electrohydraulic and manual, +25/-9 degrees

Secondary:

AMMUNITION

45 rounds 100x685mmR
    500 rounds 20x140mm
    800 rounds .50 caliber
    210 rounds 9mm
    24 smoke grenades

Primary Weapon:

Gunner's Auxiliary Sight
        Ballistic Calculator

Elevation Quadrant
          Gunner's Quadrant

Vision Devices:

POWERPLANT

620 hp liquid-cooled V12 diesel, 38 L displacement, cross-drive
transmission

M15A4 Roach

mKGymt8.png

FoSTq56.png

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

Width (over skirts): 3.39 m

Width (without skirts): 3.29 m

Weight, Curb: 40,786 kg

Weight, Gross: 42,564 kg

Power to Weight Ratio (gross): 18.3 hp/t

Ground Pressure: 10.1 PSI

PROTECTION

Hull armor:

Lower glacis - 125mm at 45 degrees - 177mm LOS

Side - 80mm at 0 degrees + 25.4mm side skirts spaced at 703mm - 105.4mm LOS

Turret armor:

Plus 60mm armor spaced at 203mm across frontal 90 degree arc.

ARMAMENT

Secondary:

AMMUNITION

45 rounds 100x685mmR
    500 rounds 20x140mm
    800 rounds .50 caliber
    210 rounds 9mm
    24 smoke grenades

Primary Weapon:

Gunner's Auxiliary Sight
        Ballistic Calculator
        Stereoscopic Rangefinder

Elevation Quadrant
          Gunner's Quadrant

Vision Devices:

POWERPLANT

780 hp liquid-cooled V12 diesel, 39 L displacement, cross-drive
transmission

M15A5 Roach

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

Weight, Curb: 41,932 kg

Weight, Gross: 43,710 kg

Power to Weight Ratio (gross): 17.8 hp/t

Ground Pressure: 10.4 PSI

PROTECTION

Hull armor:

Lower glacis - 125mm at 45 degrees (177mm LOS) + 215mm thick NERA
array of 5mm/10mm/5mm steel/poly/steel plates spaced 20mm and angled at 15 deg from horizontal

Turret armor:

Plus 215mm thick NERA array of 5mm/10mm/5mm steel/poly/steel plates spaced 20mm and angled at 30 deg from horizontal across frontal 90 degree arc (approx. 280mm protection vs. HEAT, 527mm protection vs. APFSDS, centerline impact).

ARMAMENT

Stabilizer: Vertical and Horizontal

Secondary:

AMMUNITION

45 rounds 100x685mmR
    500 rounds 20x140mm
    800 rounds .50 caliber
    210 rounds 9mm
    24 smoke grenades

Primary Weapon:

Gunner's Auxiliary Sight
        Ballistic Calculator
        Stereoscopic Rangefinder

Elevation Quadrant
          Gunner's Quadrant

Vision Devices:

POWERPLANT

transmission

M15A7 Roach

zGKlLMA.png

5VGXoAM.png

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

Crew: 3

Length (gun forward): 10.55 m

Length (gun to rear): 10.43 m

Length (w/o gun): 6.85 m

Gun Overhang (gun forward): 4.04 m

Weight, Curb: 42,427 kg

Weight, Gross: 45,093 kg

Power to Weight Ratio (gross): 17.3 hp/t

Ground Pressure: 10.7 PSI

PROTECTION

Hull armor:

array of 5mm/10mm/5mm steel/poly/steel plates spaced 20mm and angled at 15 deg from horizontal

Turret armor:

Plus 215mm thick NERA array of 5mm/10mm/5mm steel/poly/steel plates spaced 20mm and angled at 30 deg from horizontal across frontal 90 degree arc (approx. 280mm protection vs. HEAT, 527mm protection vs. APFSDS, centerline impact).

ARMAMENT

Primary: 152x923mmR XM59 L/48.5 Autoloaded Rifled Gun

Elevation: Electrohydraulic and manual, +20/-8 degrees

Elevation Rate: 10 d/s

Firing Rate (max): 3 rounds/min

Stabilizer: 3-Axis

Secondary:

(1) 7.62mm M240 machine gun, auxiliary position

AMMUNITION

24 rounds 152x923mmR
    800 rounds .50 caliber
    210 rounds 9mm
    24 smoke grenades

Primary Weapon:

Gunner's Auxiliary Sight
        Ballistic Calculator
        Stereoscopic Rangefinder

Elevation Quadrant
          Gunner's Quadrant

Vision Devices:

POWERPLANT

transmission

M18A1 Roach

d3UZWPg.png

LYtsd5D.png

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

Length (gun forward): 10.94 m

Length (gun to rear): 10.60 m

Length (w/o gun): 6.85 m

Gun Overhang (gun forward): 4.09 m

Height (to roof): 2.52 m

Height (to 7.62 MG): 2.850 m

Weight, Curb: 42,427 kg

Weight, Gross: 45,562 kg

Power to Weight Ratio (gross): 17.1 hp/t

Ground Pressure: 10.8 PSI

PROTECTION

Hull armor:

Turret armor:

0 degrees: 512mm at forehead, 247mm at nose, 202mm above ring

15 degrees: 530mm at forehead, 252mm at nose, 209mm above ring, 339mm sides

30 degrees: 591mm at forehead, 198mm at nose, 176mm above ring, 175mm sides

45 degrees: 724mm at forehead, 100mm at nose, 89mm above ring, 124mm sides

Plus 215mm thick NERA array of 5mm/10mm/5mm steel/poly/steel plates spaced 20mm and angled at 30 deg from horizontal across front and sides (approx. 280mm protection vs. HEAT, 527mm protection vs. APFSDS, centerline impact).

ARMAMENT

Primary: 152x923mmR XM59 L/48.5 Loading-Assisted Rifled Gun

Elevation: Electrohydraulic and manual, +20/-8 degrees

Elevation Rate: 10 d/s

Firing Rate (max): 3 rounds/min

Stabilizer: 3-Axis

Secondary:

AMMUNITION

30 rounds 152x923mmR
    800 rounds .50 caliber
    210 rounds 9mm
    24 smoke grenades

Primary Weapon:

Gunner's Auxiliary Sight
        Ballistic Calculator
        Stereoscopic Rangefinder

Elevation Quadrant
          Gunner's Quadrant

Vision Devices:

POWERPLANT

transmission

32 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

I don’t think I will be able to complete my vehicle, with all the stuff that’s happening (and about to happen) in my life. Kind of a shame; this is the first time in a while that I actually felt a desire to do something... oh well. 

End date for posting your design is 30 sept, about 2 weeks left. Are those events something serious? 

2 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

End date for posting your design is 30 sept, about 2 weeks left. Are those events something serious? 

The things that are/have been happening, I couldn’t care less about... but someone else does care, so it’s my fucking problem now.

The things that are going to happen are going to be serious though, I just need to work up the courage... whenever the hell that will be (I’m quite timid /reserved /introverted IRL). 

On top of that, I feel like I’ve hit the ground emotionally, and have lost a lot of motivation over the past months. Coupled with all the stress from the other bullshit, I feel pretty low RN. 

Point is, it would take a damn miracle for me to complete my vehicle by the end of September... in my opinion. As much as I want to do this, I can’t make my vehicle and figure out my life shit at the same time; and even though I desire this project above my IRL responsibilities, I have to focus on my life. 

Good luck, Lord James

4 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

The things that are/have been happening, I couldn’t care less about... but someone else does care, so it’s my fucking problem now.

Spoiler

The things that are going to happen are going to be serious though, I just need to work up the courage... whenever the hell that will be (I’m quite timid /reserved /introverted IRL). 

On top of that, I feel like I’ve hit the ground emotionally, and have lost a lot of motivation over the past months. Coupled with all the stress from the other bullshit, I feel pretty low RN. 

Point is, it would take a damn miracle for me to complete my vehicle by the end of September... in my opinion. As much as I want to do this, I can’t make my vehicle and figure out my life shit at the same time; and even though I desire this project above my IRL responsibilities, I have to focus on my life. 

Good luck, Lord James

Good luck with that, we will have more competitions anyway.

1 hour ago, Lord_James said:

Good luck, Lord James

I've been going through something similar, and finally seem to be coming out the back end. Chin up, step forward, do your best.

I've run some preliminary numbers on the 'blended' XM-8. At 45 tonnes you get:

• 145mm aluminium + 500mm NERA @ 45’ (upper hull front): estimated 670mm/970mm LoS KE/chem protection
  • 70mm aluminium @ + 250mm NERA 45’ (lower hull front): estimated 330mm/480mm LoS KE/chem protection
  • 65mm aluminium + 250mm NERA (hull side forward): estimated 160mm/230mm LoS KE/chem protection
  • 25mm aluminium (hull side rear)
  • 25mm aluminium (hull rear)
  • 25mm aluminium (hull roof)
  • 25mm aluminium (hull floor)
  • 175mm aluminium + 500mm NERA @ 30’ (turret front): estimated 560mm/810mm LoS KE/chem protection
  • 65mm aluminium + 250mm NERA (turret side forward): estimated 240mm/350mm LoS KE/chem protection
  • 65mm aluminium + 250mm NERA (turret side rear): estimated 240mm/350mm LoS KE/chem protection
  • 25mm aluminium (turret rear)
  • 200mm aluminium + 500mm NERA (mantlet): estimated 470mm/720mm LoS KE/chem protection
  • 35mm aluminium + 65mm NERA @ 80’ (turret roof forward): estimated 310mm/410mm LoS KE/chem protection
  • 25mm aluminium (turret roof rear)

Result: XM-8E1 is going to have to be a thing.