Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

5 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Second pass at a cast hull, this time I managed to include some sort of elliptical shape on the glacis:

Qi1UysC.png

I see two major problems: 

1. The thin bottom and rear are poorly radiused in and will likely not form well in this casting, warping significantly. You'd probably have to either go with an M48 style elliptical belly or a separate plate welded on.

2. I really don't get how this is supposed to be molded. I suggest removing the back, and having it manufactured separately.

On topic- Autofrettage, yes or no?

2 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

I see two major problems: 

1. The thin bottom and rear are poorly radiused in and will likely not form well in this casting, warping significantly. You'd probably have to either go with an M48 style elliptical belly or a separate plate welded on.

2. I really don't get how this is supposed to be molded. I suggest removing the back, and having it manufactured separately.

On topic- Autofrettage, yes or no?

2. There are still a few holes missing. Could you be more specific about what your reservations are WRT to casting? Here's an M103 hull casting, for reference:

JhMDdIk.png

The M103, like the M48 and M60, have oversized turret rings through which you could get the forming mandrel for the front hull out. Your design has a smaller turret ring, to the point where I can't tell how you'd be able to extract the internal molding equipment.

Just now, N-L-M said:

The M103, like the M48 and M60, have oversized turret rings through which you could get the forming mandrel for the front hull out. Your design has a smaller turret ring, to the point where I can't tell how you'd be able to extract the internal molding equipment.

...My turret ring is literally identical to the M103, M48, M60, and M1.

Is your internal hull width the same? If so, I withdraw my complaint as irrelevant.

While I can't prove it visually, I strongly suspect that the "chines" in the M48 were formed internally by separate mold pieces which were held in place by larger forming blocks for the major hull volume. If anyone has any good info on the actual casting equipment for the Pattons, I'd love to take a look.

1 minute ago, N-L-M said:

Is your internal hull width the same? If so, I withdraw my complaint as irrelevant.

While I can't prove it visually, I strongly suspect that the "chines" in the M48 were formed internally by separate mold pieces which were held in place by larger forming blocks for the major hull volume. If anyone has any good info on the actual casting equipment for the Pattons, I'd love to take a look.

Max internal hull width is the same as the internal turret ring diameter (78"), so it's actually less than the M48 or M103.

I'm getting the distinct impression that, where my submission ended up being a Panther made out of sensible American bits, Sturgeon's is going to be a 9/10 scale Patton armed with some sort of wonder-cannon.

I'm interested to see what the other entrants come up with.

Mine is shaping up to be a product-improved, westernized, desertized, designed-for-upgradability T-55. 

I should have the roughest of drafts ready within 24 hours.

Edit: I would add that the archive access grants a unique opportunity- we know what the future will hold, and can therefore design around technologies which have yet to be manufactured. 

1 hour ago, Toxn said:

I'm getting the distinct impression that, where my submission ended up being a Panther made out of sensible American bits, Sturgeon's is going to be a 9/10 scale Patton armed with some sort of wonder-cannon.

I'm interested to see what the other entrants come up with.

It's weirder than that. My current inspirations are the T95 Medium and the Centurion.

2 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

That turret is very Chieftain-esque, is it entirely cast or are the sides, back and roof rolled and welded?

Also, the driver's access looks a bit painful.

The turret is a single piece casting. It's not as bad as it looks, because the tanks scale is deceptive. Look at an M1, for example:

M1-Abrams-with-Trophy-APS-9ed777416ebc9f