Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Designing A Rifle From Scratch(ish)

Sturgeon

• 4 weeks later...

Wrapped up the mechanics of the magazine. There's a ton of reverse-engineering going on with the guts of the magazine (thanks, Magpul!). Two followers are modeled here to illustrate its movement within the magazine.

nD3igYG.png

Here you can see a sketch of the cartridge stack overlaid onto the magazine:

5TSfIOp.png

There are 33 rounds in that stack; the magazine doesn't accommodate the last two and aaaalllllmost clears the third from last. This makes it a 30 round mag with about 3/4ths of the 31st round's worth of extra space. Notice the generous spring chamber even when the follower is fully collapsed. The idea here is to be similar to an AK magazine and use a super long stiff spring for added reliabilitah.

I assume you're handwaving the spring weight, but just so you know, when it comes to coil springs, a long coil spring is weaker.  Making a coil spring long is the same thing as putting a bunch of short coil springs in series, which reduces spring constant.  If you want a coil spring that's both long and generates a lot of force, then the coil material needs to be thicker, which results in an outrageous and gigantic magazine spring.

Which I think you already knew, from looking at AK magazine springs.  Just pointing out that there's a further weight penalty for this design choice.

11 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

I assume you're handwaving the spring weight, but just so you know, when it comes to coil springs, a long coil spring is weaker.  Making a coil spring long is the same thing as putting a bunch of short coil springs in series, which reduces spring constant.  If you want a coil spring that's both long and generates a lot of force, then the coil material needs to be thicker, which results in an outrageous and gigantic magazine spring.

Which I think you already knew, from looking at AK magazine springs.  Just pointing out that there's a further weight penalty for this design choice.

I measured the weight of one of my AK-74 mag springs and added that to the weight of the complete magazine model. That spring was like twice as heavy as the Gen 3 Pmag spring!

Spent some time this evening finishing up the rear trunnion (which is now aluminum instead of steel):

Tz7jnQj.png

I've now done enough work that I can be quite confident in mass estimates. We're sitting at 3.15 kg / 6.94 lb without magazine, ammunition, optics, or accessories. That's with a SOCOM profile barrel. With an A1-profile barrel that drops to 2.96 kg / 6.53 lb.

A hypothetical 14.5" lightweight barreled SCAR-L with no sights would weigh about 3.08 kg / 6.79 lb, so that improves my estimation of the rifle somewhat I must admit.