Sturgeon's House
T___A

US Politics Thread: Year 2 of 1000 of the TrumpenReich

Currently there is a bill in place that would make government shutdowns by the president a thing of the past.

It's like they can't learn from their own history. 

How many times has the following scenario played out?

Leftists use questionably moral political tool against opponents for years.

Opponents finally wise-up and fight back using same took.

Leftists call shenanigans and push to eliminate said tool. 

Rinse and repeat. Most recently we've seen it with the filibuster. While certainly not a party specific tool, it only began garnering hate from the left when it was used effectively against them. 

22 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Currently there is a bill in place that would make government shutdowns by the president a thing of the past.

It's like they can't learn from their own history. 

How many times has the following scenario played out?

Leftists use questionably moral political tool against opponents for years.

Opponents finally wise-up and fight back using same took.

Leftists call shenanigans and push to eliminate said tool. 

Rinse and repeat. Most recently we've seen it with the filibuster. While certainly not a party specific tool, it only began garnering hate from the left when it was used effectively against them. 

"It's only ok when we use it!"

Aww, I didn't make the cut.

Meanwhile:

On 1/20/2019 at 12:34 PM, Collimatrix said:

I wonder if Trump will start ratcheting up the amount he wants for the wall, or other high-pressure sales tactics.

l4n9sDX.png

The price of the wall might be up to $7 gigabucks from 5.  Hmm...

On the other hand, it's CNN and they're wrong about everything.  So who knows?

The really interesting dynamic with this government shutdown is that both sides are convinced that they're winning, or at the very least that it's hurting the other side more than it's hurting themselves.  Obviously, they can't both be right about that.  Eventually, someone is going to have to blink, but in the meantime, there's no real likelihood of compromise because both sides are convinced that taking a stand and not backing down is the winning play.  Something something prisoner's dilemma.

1 minute ago, Collimatrix said:

Aww, I didn't make the cut.

Meanwhile:

l4n9sDX.png

The price of the wall might be up to $7 gigabucks from 5.  Hmm...

Seems to have been fake news, an agreement was reached to kick the can down the road three weeks.

It's a way to kick the can down the road for three weeks.

And after a month or so, it's time for the federal workers to get a paycheck since both sides are still trying to outbluff the other.

A neutral play on both sides.

19 minutes ago, Donward said:

It's a way to kick the can down the road for three weeks.

And after a month or so, it's time for the federal workers to get a paycheck since both sides are still trying to outbluff the other.

A neutral play on both sides.

That's what I don't understand.  Trump doesn't usually call a time-out so he can catch his breath.  He usually does something outrageous as a distraction, and when nobody is watching *then* he catches his breath.

Yes the charitable pro-Trump analysis is that this is a maneuver straight out of Art of the Deal where Trump gives the Dems something to bring back home and they give him what he wants.

The uncharitable analysis is that something in the Republican/Trump faction broke.

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Yes the charitable pro-Trump analysis is that this is a maneuver straight out of Art of the Deal where Trump gives the Dems something to bring back home and they give him what he wants.

That went well with North Korea.

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

The uncharitable analysis is that something in the Republican/Trump faction broke.

Winning again.