Sturgeon's House
T___A

US Politics Thread: Year 2 of 1000 of the TrumpenReich

That I'll probably grant you.....Testing did appear to diminish. 

However that could be because the tests were complete.....We don't know.

But we do know that Kim is a sn33ky little fucker.....Ask his brother.  ;)

The First Lady sued the UK Telegraph for Libel... And won.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/26/uk-paper-apologizes-and-pays-damages-to-melania-trump-over-false-report/

It’s the second time the first lady has fought and won a defamation battle with a publication in the UK, where the libel laws are notoriously strict. She wrung a $2.9 million settlement from the Daily Mail in 2017 after the tabloid published scandalous allegations about her modeling career.

1 hour ago, Donward said:

https://nypost.com/2019/01/26/uk-paper-apologizes-and-pays-damages-to-melania-trump-over-false-report/

It’s the second time the first lady has fought and won a defamation battle with a publication in the UK, where the libel laws are notoriously strict. She wrung a $2.9 million settlement from the Daily Mail in 2017 after the tabloid published scandalous allegations about her modeling career.

Good.  While I'm all for digging up legit dirt on almost any politician, no need to fake shit about family members.

3 hours ago, Donward said:

That probably explains this headline:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/26/trumpcaved-president-slammed-wimp-wall-supporters-shutdown-capitulation/

Apologies, POS article is paywalled, but you get the point.....TBH I'd quite enjoy watching The Donald go to war with The Torygraph;)

On 1/25/2019 at 5:34 PM, Sturgeon said:

Yes the charitable pro-Trump analysis is that this is a maneuver straight out of Art of the Deal where Trump gives the Dems something to bring back home and they give him what he wants.

The uncharitable analysis is that something in the Republican/Trump faction broke.

I'm just glad the shutdown is over.  I think Trump overplayed his hand and realized it.  This three week reprieve gives him a little breathing room and hopefully a decent compromise can be hammered out before we have another shutdown.  The shut down was a risky move on Trump's part, but taking risks is part of his brand.  Sometimes risks fail, I can't really blame him for that.  He probably should have picked this fight a year ago when his own party still had control of congress.  The weird thing is the venom coming from the right.  Ann Coulter said "Good news for George Herbert Walker Bush: As of today, he is no longer the biggest wimp ever to serve as President of the United States."  Everyone here knows I don't like Trump or his agenda, but I honestly would not characterize his leadership style as "wimp".  Ann, calm down. Trump had a setback, it happens to Presidents all the time.  I have no doubt that Trump will come up with a new plan to get his wall.  He knows the importance of staying true to his base and to the issues that got him elected.  

Anyhow, we all know that the wimpiest president was James Buchanan.  

2 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

I'm just glad the shutdown is over.  I think Trump overplayed his hand and realized it.  This three week reprieve gives him a little breathing room and hopefully a decent compromise can be hammered out before we have another shutdown.  The shut down was a risky move on Trump's part, but taking risks is part of his brand.  Sometimes risks fail, I can't really blame him for that.  He probably should have picked this fight a year ago when his own party still had control of congress.  The weird thing is the venom coming from the right.  Ann Coulter said "Good news for George Herbert Walker Bush: As of today, he is no longer the biggest wimp ever to serve as President of the United States."  Everyone here knows I don't like Trump or his agenda, but I honestly would not characterize his leadership style as "wimp".  Ann, calm down. Trump had a setback, it happens to Presidents all the time.  I have no doubt that Trump will come up with a new plan to get his wall.  He knows the importance of staying true to his base and to the issues that got him elected.  

Anyhow, we all know that the wimpiest president was James Buchanan.  

Ann Coulter has been branding herself as the hardliner who will hold Trump's feet to the fire.  She called Trump for the primary before anyone else did, and she called Trump for president when everyone else was saying it was impossible, but I don't think she has had anything particularly insightful to say for the last two years.  Just posturing.

I am really not sure why Trump agreed to a time-out on the wall standoff.  Some day there will be an insider's view tell-all of the Trump administration that will fill in all these little mysteries, and it will be fantastic.  The behind-the-scenes of the Trump white house will, I think, be more insane than we can imagine now.

1 minute ago, Collimatrix said:

Ann Coulter has been branding herself as the hardliner who will hold Trump's feet to the fire.  She called Trump for the primary before anyone else did, and she called Trump for president when everyone else was saying it was impossible, but I don't think she has had anything particularly insightful to say for the last two years.  Just posturing.

I am really not sure why Trump agreed to a time-out on the wall standoff.  Some day there will be an insider's view tell-all of the Trump administration that will fill in all these little mysteries, and it will be fantastic.  The behind-the-scenes of the Trump white house will, I think, be more insane than we can imagine now.

I think the reason he called a time out was because it was becoming less about the wall and more about the government not doing what they are supposed to do.  It's hard to claim we need a wall for national security when border agents and airport security are not getting paid.  Trump was forced between a rock and a hard place, having to decide whether to reopen the government and give a bit on his wall demands, or hold firm on his wall and continue the shutdown.  Pundits like Coulter can sit on the sidelines and criticize all they want, but they don't have to deal with the responsibility of actually making hard decisions.  The older I get, the more I appreciate how difficult making decisions can be, and how much easier it is to criticize than it is to take responsibility.  

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:40 AM, Sturgeon said:

It went a hell of a lot better than literally anything anyone else tried.

So much for that:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/29/north-korea-nuclear-weapons-daniel-coats-intelligence

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/29/us/politics/kim-jong-trump.html

Appears that Trump has been taken for a mug.....Told you that little fat fucker was tricky.  :D

9 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So much for that:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/29/north-korea-nuclear-weapons-daniel-coats-intelligence

Appears that Trump has been taken for a mug.....Told you that little fat fucker was tricky.  :D

I opened the article expecting NK to have done something and all I got was an opinion.

Which is all you are getting from the Trump team, but I suspect Coats can back his up with rather better evidence.  :rolleyes:

TDS can work both ways you know.....As we've seen countless times, just because 'The Orange One' pronounces a thing, it does not, in fact, make it so.  :mellow:

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Which is all you are getting from the Trump team, but I suspect Coats can back his up with rather better evidence.  :rolleyes:

TDS can work both ways you know.....As we've seen countless times, just because 'The Orange One' pronounces a thing, it does not, in fact, make it so.  :mellow:

Trusting the Media and these outlets in particular is great,  cause they have never lied or gotten stories on Trump wrong.  Ever. :huh:

16 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

TDS can work both ways you know

Which is why its important to pay attention  to things that are actually happening, since we are relying on evidence and not opinion.

Stolen from Coli...

Best quote ever on the Press. 

“The press is a gang of cruel faggots. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits—a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage.”

Hunter S. Thompson

https://oig.justice.gov/reports/2019/f190129.pdf

Findings of Misconduct by Two Current Senior FBI Officials and One Retired FBI Official While Providing Oversight on an FBI Contract

The Department of Justice (DOJ) Office of the Inspector General (OIG) initiated this investigation upon the receipt of information from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) concerning multiple allegations involving an FBI contractor and three FBI officials.

The OIG found that as a result of conduct by two current senior FBI officials, and one retired FBI official, the FBI contractor engaged in certain inherent governmental activities in contravention of Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).

Additionally, the OIG found that these three FBI officials did not adhere to Office of Management and Budget policy while managing the contractor. Further, the OIG found that the FBI contractor failed to adhere to personal conflict of interest rules under the FAR.

The OIG has completed its investigation and provided its report to the FBI for appropriate action.

I wonder if this is about the FBI allowing a contractor to perform inappropriate 702 searches before the now retired NSA director Mike Rogers put a stop to it.

@Walter_Sobchak IIRC you were in favor of doing away with the electoral college because Trump won, what do you think of this?

https://kdvr.com/2019/01/29/colorado-senate-passes-bill-to-essentially-eliminate-electoral-college/

Colorado’s Senate has passed a bill to have the state award its presidential electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote.

Democratic Sen. Mike Foote’s bill would have Colorado join 11 states and the District of Columbia in what’s called the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.

It would require Colorado Electors to the Electoral College to cast their vote for the winner of the national popular vote. Currently, Colorado electors vote for the candidate who wins in Colorado.

This really is a victory for those who believe that every vote should be counted equally,” Foote (D-Lafayette) said.

Sadly, since the influx of Californians to our state, we have seen an increase in the rate of incest and ether huffing among our elected officials. My state is fucked so hard, and it didn't take but 10 years for it to happen.

I guess in a strange way it adds more weight to my vote, because instead of isolating the effect of my vote to the state of Colorado, it now gets counted with the national vote, but that is a really stupid way of doing it. We need to split the Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins region off into their own politically autonomous zones so they stop fucking up the rest of the state. There is much more to Colorado than the front range, just don't tell that to anyone from the front range.

The electoral college protects minority interests, and I thought that the left was all about protecting minorities.