Sturgeon's House
T___A

US Politics Thread: Year 2 of 1000 of the TrumpenReich

This article is truly amazing. Some choice excerpts:

Another contributor to the anthology, Caribbean-born science fiction author Tobias S. Buckell, feels that many people grew complacent during the Obama years, which allowed ugly rhetoric to proliferate. “As someone who puts diverse characters in my books—and is diverse himself—that background noise has always been a part of my career that I’ve had to deal with,” he says. “In 2013 everyone felt that I was being a little bit worked up, and now it seems like a great deal of the rest of the world has kind of caught up.”

Oh yes, that's right, the real reason for Trump is because liberals weren't self-righteously smug enough during the Obama years.

Tobias S. Buckell on metaphors:

Nora K. Jemisin was just saying on Twitter the other day that in science fiction we have this venerable tradition of using metaphor to dig at some of these problems—like race and power and structure and history—and that it’s been a mistake, because in the past we would always use the metaphor assuming that our fellow readers and fans of the genre were following along, getting the metaphor, and it turns out that they weren’t. In other words, you needed to be way more in-your-face and say, ‘This is what I’m trying to say.’ Because they were looking at a metaphor of an alien that is powerless and out on the fringes of society—and that that society was being racist toward, and things like that—and then when they were done with that story they’d say, ‘That poor alien,’ and they’d never make the implicit connection.”

Or maybe being effectively scolded for being a racist by a dime store novelist is a turnoff.

On 4/10/2019 at 2:16 PM, Donward said:

The Counter Offensive continues.

More like "The bullshit fueled pendulum has reached the end of it's arc, and begun it's transition toward descending.".

3 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

How can they even complain about this without looking like total hypocrites?

You are under the impression that people like Pelosi or Mad Maxine, give a flying fuck.

Who's the least bad Democrat? As someone who lives in California, my vote makes fuckall difference on the national stage. So I figure I may as well give voting in the primaries a shot. As far as gun politics go they're all trash, and all I've settled is on *really* not wanting Eric or Kamela.

12 hours ago, Roths said:

Who's the least bad Democrat? As someone who lives in California, my vote makes fuckall difference on the national stage. So I figure I may as well give voting in the primaries a shot. As far as gun politics go they're all trash, and all I've settled is on *really* not wanting Eric or Kamela.

I don’t follow politics, and I know literally nothing about Californian politics, but I doubt any good dem politicians have a chance of making it past primaries: too many candidates (many simply there either for publicity or “Trump bad, therefore vote for me”), a too diverse party (too many factions, which rarely get along), and several extremely corrupt and racist / sexist “seasoned” party leaders who actually decide the winner of the primaries. It’s not much different on the rep side, but Trump is stirring that pot vigorously. 

Anyway, your vote means nothing, as we live in a representative republic and not a direct democracy (which is a good thing I will add), so there’s no point other than saying “I voted”. Sorry for the grim news. 

14 hours ago, Roths said:

Your vote “means something” in that it will be a delightful troll for Trump to get the Popular Vote in 2020, forcing all those Blue States passing legislation on the subject to allocate their Electoral Votes to Trump.

16 hours ago, Roths said:

Not a Democrat, but Tulsi Gabbard was notably against fucking around in Syria, and seems to be disliked by the establishment. Yang is a meme, but is also disliked by the establishment and at least has interesting and apparently internal consistent positions. That's who I'd pick if you asked me right this second after doing virtually no research.

In any case, I'm in New York, so my vote also doesn't matter.