Sturgeon's House
T___A

US Politics Thread: Year 2 of 1000 of the TrumpenReich

2 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

It's just Warren grandstanding to get her name back in the headlines.  She has effectively dropped off the charts popularity wise, as far as having a shot at the nom. 

What would you say her odds at getting the nomination are?  Maybe 1/1024?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/civilian-militia-group-stops-migrants-at-the-u-s-mexico-border-11555703831?shareToken=st37ce42cba2114ca791b037507c5c0f5ahttps://www.wsj.com/articles/civilian-militia-group-stops-migrants-at-the-u-s-mexico-border-11555703831?shareToken=st37ce42cba2114ca791b037507c5c0f5a

Hoo boy a shitstorm is coming. A lot of other outlets reporting on migrants held at gunpoint, but so far I've only seen footage after border patrol has already arrived. WSJ also hasn't reported on any such instances. While citizens arrests aren't legal in this case since illegal immigration is a misdemeanor and not a felony, if the militia was careful enough they could get away with arguing that they were just following migrants, calling border patrol, and not attempting to pretend to be law enforcement at all. Basically just testify to carrying rifles for self defense. Anything more than that will get them turbo owned by the long arm of the law.

I'd much rather see border patrol doing this sort of work instead. Not really comfortable with this sort of thing happening but at the same time I understand where they're coming from. If the courts rule in favor of these people, in conjunction with gun sanctuary counties, it'll be quite the clusterfuck.

22 hours ago, Roths said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/civilian-militia-group-stops-migrants-at-the-u-s-mexico-border-11555703831?shareToken=st37ce42cba2114ca791b037507c5c0f5ahttps://www.wsj.com/articles/civilian-militia-group-stops-migrants-at-the-u-s-mexico-border-11555703831?shareToken=st37ce42cba2114ca791b037507c5c0f5a

Hoo boy a shitstorm is coming. A lot of other outlets reporting on migrants held at gunpoint, but so far I've only seen footage after border patrol has already arrived. WSJ also hasn't reported on any such instances. While citizens arrests aren't legal in this case since illegal immigration is a misdemeanor and not a felony, if the militia was careful enough they could get away with arguing that they were just following migrants, calling border patrol, and not attempting to pretend to be law enforcement at all. Basically just testify to carrying rifles for self defense. Anything more than that will get them turbo owned by the long arm of the law.

I'd much rather see border patrol doing this sort of work instead. Not really comfortable with this sort of thing happening but at the same time I understand where they're coming from. If the courts rule in favor of these people, in conjunction with gun sanctuary counties, it'll be quite the clusterfuck.

Looks like the FBI arrested one of these dudes for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

The guy had been arrested in the past for impersonating an officer and the same felon with a gun rap.

These folks seem... rather fringe.

56 minutes ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Can you sumerize for those of us on phones?

A temp restraining order against Cummings and crew in that they have not established a legitimate need for Trump's financial records.

I.E. they cannot subpoena them just because they desperately want to see them.

Chairman Cummings is demanding the personal financial records of Donald Trump and all of his business interests around the Trump organization.  The demand includes all personal and private financial records including tax filings from individuals, officers and corporate entities within the Trump organization.  As a private, non-public corporation, this demand for financial records would encompass the entire Trump family.

In essence, Chairman Cummings is weaponizing his government office to target Donald Trump and all members of the Trump family.  This is not dissimilar to what President Obama and Elijah Cummings did when they weaponized the IRS to target their political opponents.  See: national heroine/patriot Catherine Engelbrecht.

When the IRS scheme was made public in 2011, the Obama plan shifted to use the intelligence operations of the U.S. Government to target their political opposition through the use of electronic surveillance and spy operations. Hence, this is one consistent continuum.  Chairman Cummings in 2019 is just a new iteration of the program.

Trump, not President Trump, has filed for a preliminary injunction to stop Chairman Cummings demand.  In the interim, while awaiting court arguments, Donald Trump and his business interests have filed for a restraining order.

4 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

A temp restraining order against Cummings and crew in that they have not established a legitimate need for Trump's financial records.

I.E. they cannot subpoena them just because they desperately want to see them.

Cool thanks!

That's got be a blow to Cumming, and fuck that guy. The Mueller Report gives them nothing they can use to claim they need to see his taxes. Trump should drop the "im under audit" bit, and just start saying, "I'm not going to release my taxes cause it drives them nuts! Let them change the law!" 

Well, looks like this year's NRA convention is gonna be a shitshow. God willing we see a Cincinnati 2 electric boogaloo come out of this.