Sturgeon's House
T___A

US Politics Thread: Year 2 of 1000 of the TrumpenReich

9 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Ah, I'd seen some other reporting earlier. That does sound like he's seriously considering it.

The Danes plan to make Greenland a independent nation, meaning it would be a political catastrophe to propose selling it to the US.
However, the US might leverage making Greenland a territory or state, which would be a good offer to Greenland, who would not be able to leverage any political power on the world stage, has zero money for defense and is already defended by the US. 

Access to the US market without tariffs would also be a huge plus for the Greenland economy. 

Personally, I think Norway should be given Greenland, as it was taken by Denmark from Norway by force. 

If the US gets Greenland, it would be pretty much the village bicycle of the Atlantic, being passed around from state to state. 

1 minute ago, Xoon said:

The Danes plan to make Greenland a independent nation, meaning it would be a political catastrophe to propose selling it to the US.
However, the US might leverage making Greenland a territory or state, which would be a good offer to Greenland, who would not be able to leverage any political power on the world stage, has zero money for defense and is already defended by the US. 

Access to the US market without tariffs would also be a huge plus for the Greenland economy. 

Personally, I think Norway should be given Greenland, as it was taken by Denmark from Norway by force. 

If the US gets Greenland, it would be pretty much the village bicycle of the Atlantic, being passed around from state to state. 

I wouldn't mind the US annexing every territorial body that we already pay the majority of defense costs for, tbh. And taxing them. Heavily.

3 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I wouldn't mind the US annexing every territorial body that we already pay the majority of defense costs for, tbh. And taxing them. Heavily.

Go ahead, you guys would still probably tax me less than the Norwegian government. 

I would not mind a tax break. 

4 hours ago, Xoon said:

Go ahead, you guys would still probably tax me less than the Norwegian government. 

I would not mind a tax break. 

The cost is you no longer get free healthcare, and have an insatiable appetite for crude oil :lol:

8 hours ago, Lord_James said:

The cost is you no longer get free healthcare, and have an insatiable appetite for crude oil :lol:

Does states not have their own welfare programs?

Also, guess what 50% of Norway's export is, and what we have shit loads of around Svalbard and the arctics. 

2 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Instead of free health care he would actually get health care. A valid trade.

I am not sure what the health care service in the US is, but Norway's healthcare is "adequate", or a bit worse.

40 minutes ago, Xoon said:
2 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

I am not sure what the health care service in the US is, but Norway's healthcare is "adequate", or a bit worse.

I once met a guy in holding who had his entire hand cut off by a sword and then reattached. It still worked.

Also, all of your medicine, procedures, and devices are developed in the US.

1 hour ago, Xoon said:

Does states not have their own welfare programs?

Also, guess what 50% of Norway's export is, and what we have shit loads of around Svalbard and the arctics. 

I'd be willing to bet you'd feel right at home in a badly run VA facility.

We need to bankrupt our health care and social services at the county, state, and federal level so rich people don’t have to get their hands blistered mowing their own lawns.

Late-stage Roman Republic mentality.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/27/754631940/trump-inserts-his-negotiating-strategy-into-u-s-china-trade-war

NPR's Noel King talks to Michael Pillsbury, a senior fellow and director of China strategy at the Hudson Institute and an informal adviser to President Trump, about the U.S. trade war with China.

audio in link