Sturgeon's House
T___A

US Politics Thread: Year 2 of 1000 of the TrumpenReich

19 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

He apparently won't give her the money raised in the gofundmes in her name either...  This is the clown the Dems pinned so much hope too! Mikael Moore is probably crushed and binging on Ben and Jerry's resist Icecream! Can you be disbarred for stealing your client's money? 

Oddly enough, I googled "Michael Moore avenatti", didn't get a single result of Moore endorsing Avenatti.  Democrats have been keeping a good long distance from Avenatti since the sexual assault charges were lodged against him several weeks ago.  

Speaking of Moore, perhaps Trump should have consulted with him as to how loyal GM is to their workers in Michigan and Ohio. I'm sure Moore would have told him that just because you give GM a big fat tax cut, it doesn't mean they are going to use the money to protect their work force.  Trump can rage all he wants at GM now, but he really has no power to punish them (without punishing other automakers as well.)  These laid off auto workers just learned the same sad lesson that Trump university graduates learned, putting faith in Trumps outlandish promises is a fool's game.  At least these laid off autoworkers will have access to healthcare through Trump's awesome replacement for Obamacare.  Oh wait....

4 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Speaking of Moore, perhaps Trump should have consulted with him as to how loyal GM is to their workers in Michigan and Ohio. I'm sure Moore would have told him that just because you give GM a big fat tax cut, it doesn't mean they are going to use the money to protect their work force.  Trump can rage all he wants at GM now, but he really has no power to punish them (without punishing other automakers as well.)  These laid off auto workers just learned the same sad lesson that Trump university graduates learned, putting faith in Trumps outlandish promises is a fool's game.  At least these laid off autoworkers will have access to healthcare through Trump's awesome replacement for Obamacare.  Oh wait....

Speaking of which, a pretty neutral article on the car tariffs. I have an in-law who works for Ford, and he's stated that the steel and other metal tariffs alone were causing big problems for the company. But that being said, the auto industry with the Big Three has been on a decline for a long time now. I just wonder how much this is going to hasten their decline.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/conservative-writer-corsi-files-complaint-against-mueller-alleges-bid-to-seek-false-testimony

Conservative author Jerome Corsi on Monday filed a “criminal and ethics complaint” against Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team, accusing investigators of trying to bully him into giving “false testimony” against President Trump.

9 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

You will forgive me if I don't put much credence in the words of a man who authored the book Hunting Hitler: New Scientific Evidence That Hitler Escaped Nazi Germany.  

35 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

You will forgive me if I don't put much credence in the words of a man who authored the book Hunting Hitler: New Scientific Evidence That Hitler Escaped Nazi Germany.  

Clearly you haven't read the news.

So I'm loathe to jump into the cesspit of US politics any more than I need to (I have my own cesspit to play in, thank you very much), but this just seems... confusing:

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/25269/trump-is-alarmed-by-his-own-defense-spending-and-he-should-be

Where do you get to the point where you're bemoaning a policy you yourself instituted a short while prior? I mean; besides they strange optics and how it feeds into the 'Trump is senile' narrative, it just seems weird on a human level not to at least acknowledge your decision by justification (eg: "I thought it was a great idea but it went wrong/the bad people ruined it"), even if you can't own up to making a mistake directly.

1 hour ago, Toxn said:

So I'm loathe to jump into the cesspit of US politics any more than I need to (I have my own cesspit to play in, thank you very much), but this just seems... confusing:

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/25269/trump-is-alarmed-by-his-own-defense-spending-and-he-should-be

Where do you get to the point where you're bemoaning a policy you yourself instituted a short while prior? I mean; besides they strange optics and how it feeds into the 'Trump is senile' narrative, it just seems weird on a human level not to at least acknowledge your decision by justification (eg: "I thought it was a great idea but it went wrong/the bad people ruined it"), even if you can't own up to making a mistake directly.

If we take a trip down memory lane we will remember Trump was threatening to veto the 2018 omnibus spending bill until Mattis convinced him to agree to it for the sake of defense spending.

31 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

“There are a lot of things that I’m unhappy about in this bill,” Mr. Trump said during a hastily called event at the White House, where the president placed his hand on a foot-high copy of the 2,232-page bill he said he had just signed. “There are a lot of things that we shouldn’t have had in this bill. But we were, in a sense, forced — if we want to build our military — we were forced to have. There are some things that we should have in the bill.”

Thanks. So I'm correct in thinking that he wasn't threatening to veto it because he had grave concerns about military spending being unsustainable and out of control?

Edit: the quotes are to provide some context.

Mr. Trump said the spending plan was important because it includes hundreds of billions of dollars in military spending to ensure that the United States has “by far the strongest military in the world.”

“We had no choice but to fund our military,” Mr. Trump declared, reading aloud a series of military programs and weapons systems in the spending bill, including submarines, missile defense systems, tanks, helicopters and warships.

“I am considering a VETO of the Omnibus Spending Bill based on the fact that the 800,000 plus DACA recipients have been totally abandoned by the Democrats (not even mentioned in Bill) and the BORDER WALL, which is desperately needed for our National Defense, is not fully funded,” Mr. Trump wrote.

The president’s top advisers rushed to bring in Jim Mattis, the secretary of defense, to make the case to Mr. Trump that he must sign the legislation because of its robust military funding. Within hours, Mr. Mattis was in the Oval Office with Mr. Trump telling him the level of military spending was “historic,” according to a senior White House official. Vice President Mike Pence, who had postponed a trip to deal with the crisis, also chimed in to make a case for signing the bill.

3 hours ago, Toxn said:

I feel like I'm the only person that gets the angle here. Trump is saying "it's good that we passed the spending bill, but isn't it ridiculous that we have to spend so much on defense?" That's the angle. Now is this political maneuvering? You betcha. He's definitely sending signals to the MIC deliberately. He does that all the time, see ye olde "watchout Lockheed or we'll buy Super Hornets instead of Panthers!".

Of course you wouldn't call a spending bill "crazy" before it had passed. Trump isn't stupid.

11 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I feel like I'm the only person that gets the angle here. Trump is saying "it's good that we passed the spending bill, but isn't it ridiculous that we have to spend so much on defense?" That's the angle. Now is this political maneuvering? You betcha. He's definitely sending signals to the MIC deliberately. He does that all the time, see ye olde "watchout Lockheed or we'll buy Super Hornets instead of Panthers!".

Of course you wouldn't call a spending bill "crazy" before it had passed. Trump isn't stupid.

See, I never considered that.

Other people from the US can weigh in about whether that was the message they recieved, since I'm not primed to pick up the signals and all politics is local.

Just now, Toxn said:

See, I never considered that.

Other people from the US can weigh in about whether that was the message they recieved, since I'm not primed to pick up the signals and all politics is local.

Yeah it was breathlessly reported as Trump blasting his own spending bill, but look at the actual tweet:

I am certain that, at some time in the future, President Xi and I, together with President Putin of Russia, will start talking about a meaningful halt to what has become a major and uncontrollable Arms Race. The U.S. spent 716 Billion Dollars this year. Crazy!

Trump doesn't say the spending bill was bad. He isn't lampooning the people who passed it. He's saying it's big. He said it was big before the bill passed (he advertised it, in fact). So the angle that Trump is one-eightying here is based entirely on one word: "Crazy!". Well "crazy" probably just refers to $716,000,000,000 which is an undeniably crazy amount of money.

13 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

I like how the actual Tillerson quote had an entirely different meaning than what that headline implies.

Also right on cue, Trump punching back.

The actual quote is:

“When the president would say, ‘Here's what I want to do, and here's how I want to do it,’ and I'd have to say to him, ‘Well, Mr. President, I understand what you want to do, but you can't do it that way. It violates the law, it violates the treaty, you know. He got really frustrated,” Tillerson said. “I think he grew tired of me being the guy every day who told him he can’t do that and let’s talk about what he can do.”

I don't see how that conflicts with the headline.  Anyhow, you can't use the "biased media" argument, it's a FOX news headline.  

Also, what you call punching back seems to me more like juvinille insults unworthy of the office of the President.  While I would not characterize myself as a Tillerson fan by any stretch, I seriously doubt that a man who rose to become a CEO of Exxon Mobil could be lazy or stupid.  

15 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

The actual quote is:

“When the president would say, ‘Here's what I want to do, and here's how I want to do it,’ and I'd have to say to him, ‘Well, Mr. President, I understand what you want to do, but you can't do it that way. It violates the law, it violates the treaty, you know. He got really frustrated,” Tillerson said. “I think he grew tired of me being the guy every day who told him he can’t do that and let’s talk about what he can do.”

I don't see how that conflicts with the headline.  Anyhow, you can't use the "biased media" argument, it's a FOX news headline.  

Also, what you call punching back seems to me more like juvinille insults unworthy of the office of the President.  

-The headline implies Trump knowingly tries to break the law while the actual quote is Tillerson telling Trump the legal status of whatever the given topic was.

-I appreciate the roundabout acknowledgement of media bias.

-But you are perfectly fine with juvenile insults from any level of professional as long as they are directed at the office of the President?