Sturgeon's House
T___A

US Politics Thread: Year 2 of 1000 of the TrumpenReich

4 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

i did not know that Trump's own Justice Department were "the left", but whatever.

Trump purged the DOJ when he took office? I imagine we would have heard about it given how strongly 'the left' reacted to Comey being fired (despite wanting him gone as much, if not more, than 'the right')..

1 hour ago, Ramlaen said:

Trump purged the DOJ when he took office? I imagine we would have heard about it given how strongly 'the left' reacted to Comey being fired (despite wanting him gone as much, if not more, than 'the right')..

If you really think the FBI is a bastion of liberalism, then you don't know much about the history of the FBI.

15 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

If you really think the FBI is a bastion of liberalism, then you don't know much about the history of the FBI.

Setting aside that 'the left' =/= liberal, I think the FBI is a bastion of people who think they are above the law.

On 12/17/2018 at 12:25 PM, Lord_James said:

I saw this video, and was contemplating on linking it. Is there any truth to this, @Walter_Sobchak or @Belesarius

Unfortunately for me, these Praeger U videos pop up a lot when I try to watch stuff on Youtube.  I find it weird that an institution of higher learning pushes overtly political messages on youtube.  Anyhow...

Most of the distincitions he points out are basically correct, if somewhat simplistic.  Back when I knew more people in local leftist circles, the term "liberal" was generally used as a pejorative.  

Now if Praeger U was fair, they would make a video contrasting the difference between Conservatives and MAGA right wingers.

49 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Lemme get this straight.  It's ok to send 6000 troops to the border as part of an election stunt, but we need to pull 2000 US troops from Syria who are fighting ISIS and supporting the Kurds?

Congrats, you've been loosered by a parody site.

https://babylonbee.com/news/trump-criticized-for-breaking-longstanding-american-tradition-of-remaining-in-middle-eastern-countries-indefinitely

Also, the troop deployment to the border was at the request of CBP, so there is that.

I will say, your insightful comments have caused the scales to fall from my eyes, and I have witnessed unfilter reality for the first time. Truly, orange man bad.

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Lemme get this straight.  It's ok to send 6000 troops to the border as part of an election stunt, but we need to pull 2000 US troops from Syria who are fighting ISIS and supporting the Kurds?

ISIS in Syria is several villages worth of idiots, SDF that US supports is made out of mix of number of ex-islamists and Kurds that want to be payed for looking at airstrikes. If that pocket of ISIS clowns was left for us and SAA, it would have been taken and cleared long time ago.

14 minutes ago, Ulric said:

Congrats, you've been loosered by a parody site.

https://babylonbee.com/news/trump-criticized-for-breaking-longstanding-american-tradition-of-remaining-in-middle-eastern-countries-indefinitely

Also, the troop deployment to the border was at the request of CBP, so there is that.

I will say, your insightful comments have caused the scales to fall from my eyes, and I have witnessed unfilter reality for the first time. Truly, orange man bad.

I'm no fan of never-ending military commitments.  I dare say, I bet I took a far stronger stand against the Iraq war back in 2003 than you did.  That said, it's just odd that a sitting US president would unilaterally withdraw US troops from a combat zone against the advise of his cabinet, advisors and leaders of his own party.  Also, it seems he didn't bother to warn our allies in the effort either.  I have to admit, part of me does enjoy seeing a US President do something that left Israel shaking their head.  

As to the border deployment, it was such a transparent political stunt that numerous Republican congressmen and retired military brass criticized it.

Just now, LoooSeR said:

ISIS in Syria is several villages worth of idiots, SDF that US supports is made out of mix of number of ex-islamists and Kurds that want to be payed for looking at airstrikes. If that pocket of ISIS clowns was left for us and SAA, it would have been taken and cleared long time ago.

Well, now you have your chance.  

50 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

I'm no fan of never-ending military commitments.  I dare say, I bet I took a far stronger stand against the Iraq war back in 2003 than you did.  That said, it's just odd that a sitting US president would unilaterally withdraw US troops from a combat zone against the advise of his cabinet, advisors and leaders of his own party.  Also, it seems he didn't bother to warn our allies in the effort either.  I have to admit, part of me does enjoy seeing a US President do something that left Israel shaking their head.  

As to the border deployment, it was such a transparent political stunt that numerous Republican congressmen and retired military brass criticized it.

Clearly we needed to send those troops to Syria instead of keeping them in the CONUS (yet another addition to the long list of things that are only bad when the Orange Man does it).

50 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Considering that I was just in highschool during the Iraq invasion, I would say that my opinions on it at the time were utterly irrelevant. But if you feel the need to virtue signal to stroke your own ego, by all means go for it.

Hey, any chance to piss off our only ally in the region is an opportunity worth taking, right? Even if you disagree with it? Because fuck Israel, amiright? Gotta get in on that sweet Lefty antisemitism.

I mean, the caravan was totally organic and not orchestrated at all of left wing entities to create a crisis on the border just in time for the midterms. The troop deployment was the only political stunt going on, and certainly not a response to a political stunt by an opposing party. So, what's worse, using our troops to help secure our border from drug cartels, human traffickers, terrorist, and illegal immigrants or exploiting people from 3rd world countries with promises of welfare serfdom to smear your political opponents and gain illegal votes?

Remember, you are a good person, so you are always right. Anyone who disagrees with you is clearly a bad person, because you are a good person.

This is why you must always take a contrarian position to bad people. If you agree with a bad person, then you will be wrong, and you will become a bad person yourself. Orange man is bad, and you don't want to be bad, right?

On 12/19/2018 at 11:13 AM, Walter_Sobchak said:

Now if Praeger U was fair, they would make a video contrasting the difference between Conservatives and MAGA right wingers.

You say this as though Trump supporters claim all of conservatism like your conflation of 'the left' and liberalism.

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

@Walter_Sobchak

Oh shit, I'm center right and I agree with a Russian, I must be a Russian bot who stole the election from Hillary. Literally Putin. I forgot, Russians, like orange man, bad. I can never agree with them on anything, or I am a Russian, and that would be bad.

So, question for you, what dog does the US have in the Syrian civil war, because aside from Hillary Clinton's state department shenanigans of throwing the Middle East into further chaos, I haven't found one yet. This should have been left up to the Syrians and the Russians from the beginning. 

3 minutes ago, Ulric said:

@Walter_Sobchak

Oh shit, I'm center right and I agree with a Russian, I must be a Russian bot who stole the election from Hillary. Literally Putin. I forgot, Russians, like orange man, bad. I can never agree with them on anything, or I am a Russian, and that would be bad.

So, question for you, what dog does the US have in the Syrian civil war, because aside from Hillary Clinton's state department shenanigans of throwing the Middle East into further chaos, I haven't found one yet. This should have been left up to the Syrians and the Russians from the beginning. 

We have to intervene because otherwise Syria will fall into 'Russia's camp'.

Oh wait.

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

/.../

That said, it's just odd that a sitting US president would unilaterally withdraw US troops from a combat zone against the advise of his cabinet, advisors and leaders of his own party.  Also, it seems he didn't bother to warn our allies in the effort either.  I have to admit, part of me does enjoy seeing a US President do something that left Israel shaking their head.  

Withdraw of US troops came in time when things are more or less obvious on who controls what in Syria. ISIS is no longer a major player for long time in Syria, all infrastructure is in hands of SAA and other forces. US presence there is only usefull for those who want to get stars on their uniforms or/and money. Specifically At-Tanf base was about as usefull in fight vs ISIS as standing around and doing nothing.

Also, "allies" are pursuing their own agenda, and i don't see a clear benefit for US to stay in Syria when major events and changes on political and military field are already history. Syrian Civil War is nearly dead for a reason. If US will stay in Syria, you guys will need to fight Turkish forces to defend SDF from them, and as i said a lot of SDF personal is a mix of whatever crap was left from ISIS and FSA + Kurds + "dead souls". Turkey for several weeks was claiming to prepare a big operation against PKK and co in Syria.