Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
Lord_James

Modeling a Warship

Not 100% sure where to put this, so this is going to the naval section for now. 

So, I’ve decided to challenge myself, give me something to do, and enhance my skills with Autodesk Inventor. As you can guess, I want to model a warship, perhaps a destroyer, or something of comparable size. Only problem is: the hull. How on earth would I model this? Would I make the general shape, then a butt load of fillets? Or maybe cut the hull into segments and loft each segment, then constrain them end to end? I think I will have a similar problem with the smoke stack, but the hull is larger and has more curves. 

Any suggestions or advice? Thank you in advance. 

ever heard SIGMA Class frigate ??

59 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

cut the hull into segments

just model it per block , like a plug and play model .

i think its better to design 2d version of the ship then translate it to a block design 

46 minutes ago, chandieka said:

ever heard SIGMA Class frigate ??

just model it per block , like a plug and play model .

i think its better to design 2d version of the ship then translate it to a block design 

Welcome to SH! 

No, I’ve never heard of the Sigma class frigate. 

*googles* 

ok, new ship. Not what I was looking for, I was thinking of modeling a DD from WWII; I’m partial to the Italian Soldati class. 

15 hours ago, Xlucine said:

Plans are typically given as a series of profiles (in x and y) that get faired into an entire hull,  so I think lofting is the way to go

This is what I was thinking, but was unsure if that was the best way. Thank you.