Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
Ulric

Channelling my Inner Frenchman: The clandestine bicycle SMG

So, in the time between the suppressor design that I am doing for work, I decided to go after a semi clandestine manufactured SMG. The criteria driving the design is that round tube is incredibly common in SMG designs, so I wanted to avoid that and use rectangular tube and bar stock. This minimizes the operations that require a lathe, and while they ideally would be done on a mill, they can be accomplished with a drill press and hand tools if you have the patience. Some of these parts are innocuous enough that they could also be farmed out to local machine shops without raising eyebrows. Strangely, one of the larger issues that has faced clandestine small arms manufacturing is an acceptable human interface. Other people solve this by traditional methods such as carved wood grips, or cast/molded plastics, but that is a time consuming process to make a part that should be very simple. My solution was to use handlebar grips from a bicycle. They are already designed to provide a griping surface for your hands, and they are common enough and varied enough that you could will not have a problem sourcing them.

As far as the design goes, it is still a work in progress. The receiver is pretty much dialed in, as are the trunnions, the barrel, barrel retention system, etc. The FCG has been a sticking points, as designing them is probably my greatest weak point when it comes to arms design. As the FCG is horribly incomplete, the bolt may similarly undergo changes. It is currently planned to have a linear hammer, but that is still in the works. I have only begun to consider what to do for the stock, and the forearm will probably come last. The design uses Uzi magazines, and I'm toying with the idea of being able to change magazine compatibility by having alternate lower receivers.

There are two primary versions; the 9" barrel original design, and the 5" barrel design.

i3OntWb.png

DB5kzCI.png

Early assembly

rdhWpfX.png

Charging handle/bolt/action spring interface

NEqAT8O.png

Early receiver, designed to be cut out of 1x2" 11ga rec steel tube. The notches near the trunnion and front barrel support are to allow the components to be welded together.

ocGbKxR.png

charging handle and barrel retention system details. The action spring guide rod runs through the front barrel support and in conjunction with the receiver it locks the barrel retainer plate in place. The retention plate slips into a grove cut into the barrel. This prevents the barrel from moving backwards out of the receiver, while the square section at the breech of the barrel nests in the trunnion to prevent forward movement. The barrel is not rigidly fixed to the receiver, but this is acceptable considering the intended applications of the weapon.

yLapT20.png

I cooked up some bolt variations to utilize different materials for manufacturing. All of these bolts are for the 9" barreled version.

The top bolt uses 3/4" 11ga tube, and requires a different bolt face than the other models. It comes in rather light at 420 grams

The middle bolt is the update of the original. It is machined out of 3/4x1" bar stock. Weight is 500 grams.

The bottom bolt is made out of 1" DOM tube with .250" wall thickness. This involves more external machining than the original, but the channel for the action spring doesn't have to be cut. This is the heaviest at 560 grams.

YEXswja.png

updated and simplified lower receiver. This is a fixed stock right now, but I want to make a folding version. Current weight is 2.71kg, and it will still increase slightly when I add the FCG, magazine catch, and sights.

I updated the bolt for the 5" barreled version, and it now weights 420 grams, the same as the light bolt for the 9" version.

Uo9tmHo.png

updated receiver architecture to accommodate the new lower.

5Ezd0Wz.png

Thanks to @Collimatrix for jump starting my designers block with the linear hammer idea. previously I was doing stupid things with it, but this is actually worked out really well and even manages to incorporate a concept that I had for the linear hammer from the very beginning. There are still details that need to be worked out, but this is a much idea to work with than what I had before. Side benefit of this, I have increased the bolt mass to 470 grams, so it's closer to where I am comfortable with. That is still relatively light for a 9mm blow back, but it should work.

eVGO18m.png

EsRpt0n.png

Overall wire frame of the current design.

CIp0W33.png

My incredibly French front sight post. I plan on shamelessly copying HK sights, but in a simplified form. It will still consist of a rather generous circular front sight hood with the post in the center of it, and all of the adjustment will be done to the rear sight.

GNyLR7L.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sturgeon
      All extant bullpups are trash. None of them are designed properly or with even modest levels of creativity. Almost all are some other design crammed up its own ass with resulting penalties in weight, size, balance, and other characteristics.

Well that's what it feels like sometimes to easily-frustrated people like me, anyway. It's just as well, as the bullpup concept only has very modest merits to begin with and they are slowly losing market share with military customers to more conventional designs.

Still! I think it's worth going down this rabbit hole all the way. Bullpups are best designed not as adaptations of conventional weapons, but holistically and from the start as such. So, let's do that.
    • By Wiedzmin
      have question about 12.7x99 AP M2 cartridge  WWII time books gives muzzle velocity for AP M2 - 895 m/s for 45in barrel, modern days firing tables and manuals gives 856 m/s for 45in barrel, which is correct, or both correct but 1st for WWII and 2nd for modern dayes cartridges ?
    • By Sturgeon
      This thread is for suggesting contest subjects for the forum to participate in!
    • By Sturgeon
      I woke up one day and decided "why not design an entirely new rifle from scratch, and live blog it?" So here we are.

About ten minutes in and we've got the beginnings of a receiver extrusion made from 7075 T6 aluminum:

Currently I think the rifle will be in 5.56mm. It will not use STANAG magazines. @Ulric plz halp design new mag?