Jump to content
Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
Sturgeon

Ammunition Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Let's start this thread off with a an interview with Justin Johnson, the Federal centerfire product manager, coming from Ultimate Reloader:

 

 

 

This interview covers the first year of the Valkyrie, and addresses things like the 90gr SMK's problems, twist rates, barrel life, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, Im not too familiar with .224 Valkyrie's development. Its starting to sound like 6.8 SPC/6.8 SPC II's chambering debacle. Just taking a cursory glance at the cartridge, its looks like a niche SPR type cartridge due to its barrel length requirements even then a 18-20" might still not be enough to get the best performance out of a cartridge like this. Would it make a good MG cartridge? Maybe, it would definitely save some weight over a 7.62 NATO gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vicious_CB said:

Interesting, Im not too familiar with .224 Valkyrie's development. Its starting to sound like 6.8 SPC/6.8 SPC II's chambering debacle. Just taking a cursory glance at the cartridge, its looks like a niche SPR type cartridge due to its barrel length requirements even then a 18-20" might still not be enough to get the best performance out of a cartridge like this. Would it make a good MG cartridge? Maybe, it would definitely save some weight over a 7.62 NATO gun.

 

People freaking out over .224 Valkyrie is the stupidest fucking thing. The cartridge is great, Federal did a great job. People are entitled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

 

People freaking out over .224 Valkyrie is the stupidest fucking thing. The cartridge is great, Federal did a great job. People are entitled.

 

Good to know its just some internet bullshit. Just looking at the design I kept wondering where Ive seen those proportions before. I had to dig through the internet to find a picture to confirm it. Ive probably said this before but Im a huge fan of the 5.45 design principals. My dream cartridge was a 5.45 necked up to 6mm throwing 90-100gr VLDs at 2800-2900fps with a stretch in case OAL to achieve that which would be the taboo of breaking the AR15 form factor limitations.  I can understand why they chose .224 projectiles(a reloaders wet dream), my only gripe is its lack of shorter barrel performance. 

 

larue_big3_05.jpg?resize=800,951

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vicious_CB said:

 

Good to know its just some internet bullshit. Just looking at the design I kept wondering where Ive seen those proportions before. I had to dig through the internet to find a picture to confirm it. Ive probably said this before but Im a huge fan of the 5.45 design principals. My dream cartridge was a 5.45 necked up to 6mm throwing 90-100gr VLDs at 2800-2900fps with a stretch in case OAL to achieve that which would be the taboo of breaking the AR15 form factor limitations.  I can understand why they chose .224 projectiles(a reloaders wet dream), my only gripe is its lack of shorter barrel performance. 

 

larue_big3_05.jpg?resize=800,951

 

It's not that .224 Valkyrie doesn't have issues. It's that it's been out for just over a year and the worst problems are that the Federal 90gr SMK factory load didn't shoot as good as we'd like for a while, and that some idiot manufacturer fucked up some chamber reamers. I guess people don't remember when 6.8 SPC blew up guns on release because the original factory chamber spec had impossible geometry? Or that there were two completely different and incompatible specs for 6.5 Grendel for years? Or that .300 Blackout to this day fits in .223 chambers, despite the fact that an extra forty five thou in the case could fix this problem? These issues lasted for years and I can come up with equivalents for almost all major rounds out today (remember how 6.5 Creed only had large rifle primer brass for 7 years after release? Remember how .308 only offered 1:12 twist for decades? Remember .30 T/C?). .224 Valkyrie's problems amount to really minor teething issues with a round that's the best design I've seen in years. It's exactly what the market needs and Federal did an amazing job, and people are bitching about problems just because the release was so solid. I've actually had people complain to me that .224 Valkyrie was too available on release so it won't survive these issues because everyone knows about them. Bullshit. Federal did a fantastic job, and I say that because I've never in my life seen a caliber release that was this well organized. They had 17 official partners and 33 total manufacturers on board at SHOT 2018, a year ago.You know why no one knows about .22 Nosler's issues? Because that cartridge is practically dead. Only Nosler offers it (no one else got on board), and it's 1 year older than .224 Valkyrie (and a far worse design).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, Vicious_CB said:

Unless it comes in case telescopic, caseless or some weird polymer hybrid the .mil will never buy it.

 

Unless it's the 6.8 GP, the Army will never buy it. At least for now.

 

2 hours ago, Vicious_CB said:

Im curious if it would be possible to stick the current 62gr EPR in the case without having excessive freebore jump. Or even what developing a EPR specific for Valk would even look like. 

 

Yes it would be possible.

 

Oh, you want a Valkyrie-specific EPR with some weird polymer hybrid case, do you?

Vv60qiN.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...