Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

N-L-M

Quick questions regarding spaced armor and perforated armor:

Does the 50mm spaced armor rule count for artillery fragments, autocannons and small arms? (7,62mm, 12,7mm, 20mm etc.).

Is the spaced armor rule based on RHAe? (170mm aluminum equals 50mm RHAe, 25mm HHA equals 50mm RHAe etc.)

Is our glories republic capable for making perforated armor? 

Is our glories republic capable of making ribbed armor? 

10 minutes ago, Xoon said:

Does the 50mm spaced armor rule count for artillery fragments, autocannons and small arms? (7,62mm, 12,7mm, 20mm etc.).

10mm for the light threats.

Is the spaced armor rule based on RHAe?

Yes.

Is our glories republic capable for making perforated armor

Yes. Counts as the equivalent metal (steel, HH or aluminum) thickness, at a 30% weight discount vs light threats and HEAT. Vs heavy KE threats it has a ME of 1 compared to its base metal, and a TE of 0.7. (And an areal density 0.7 of its base metal of course).

Ribbed armor is considered offensive.

1 minute ago, N-L-M said:

10mm for the light threats.

Yes.

Yes. Counts as the equivalent metal (steel, HH or aluminum) thickness, at a 30% weight discount vs light threats and HEAT. Vs heavy KE threats it has a ME of 1 compared to its base metal, and a TE of 0.7. (And an areal density 0.7 of its base metal of course).

Ribbed armor is considered offensive.

Quick follow up:

Does overmatch play a role? ( 5mm HHA equals 10mm RHAe, vs 12,7mm etc)

What about fence/nets? 

Been working on the armor array and refining the drive train, gotten pretty happy with the side armor. 

Next I need to figure out a good suspension layout. 

Does 1000mm wide tracks with lift-able roadwheels to make turning easier sound like overkill?

Not sure about contact length yet, the vehicle is 4,5m currently, so maybe 3,5m?

That would be very roughly 7m2 of contact area if the contract are was a flat metal sheet. 

That be about 0,57kg/cm2. 

I’m going for a Merkava style layout with engine / transmission front, rear turret, and rear door. Gun is a 155mm L/44 naval cannon, fed via a T-72 style loader (charges are manually inserted, but shells are stored in the carousel). Hoping for <80 tones. 

5 hours ago, Xoon said:

Next I need to figure out a good suspension layout. 

Does 1000mm wide tracks with lift-able roadwheels to make turning easier sound like overkill?

Not sure about contact length yet, the vehicle is 4,5m currently, so maybe 3,5m?

Holy shit.  That's one way to make sure you hit the ground pressure requirement.

17 hours ago, N-L-M said:

The mantlet needs some love, being on the turret and all that.

new mantlet and hull armour schemes:

Mantlet:

• 55mm RHA (vertical)
  • 25mm HHA (vertical)
  • 5x L NERA (70' from vertical)
  • 25mm HHA (vertical)
  • Areal density: 2694 kg/m2
  • Thickness: 656mm

Hull front:

• 45mm RHA (30’ from vertical)
  • 25mm HHA (30’ from vertical)
  • 5x L NERA (70’ from vertical)
  • 20mm HHA (30’ from vertical)
  • Areal density: 2685 kg/m2
  • Thickness: 659mm

I checked my thickness measurements, and they should be horizontal thickness. If there's a discrepency please mention it and I will see if I can find the issue.

In related news, I put together an upgraded Norman armour package for tryhard contestants.

Armour (as modelled):

• 100mm RHA (60’ from vertical) 
  • 2 layers light NERA (69' from vertical, fills void between RHA and HHA plates)
  • 30mm HHA (60' from vertical)
  • 1 layer light ERA (70' from vertical)
  • KE to defeat: 550mm head-on
  • CE (single) to defeat: 3000mm (ie: forget about it)
  • CE (tandem) to defeat: 380/900mm head-on (requires ~160/190mm diameter low-velocity/high-velocity projectile and fiddling with the size, placement of the tandem charge)

2 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Elaborate?

The Norman is built of 50mm base RHA with the rest of the base RHA thickness being add-on plate, Stillbrew style; which can then be removed to make way for even more weight of reactive arrays.

I referred to it as "inverse stillbrew" because like stillbrew, it's bolt-on spaced plates intended to improve protection, but it's inverse because the increased protection is achieved by removing them (and using the weight for more efficient armor like NERA).

17 minutes ago, N-L-M said:

The Norman is built of 50mm base RHA with the rest of the base RHA thickness being add-on plate, Stillbrew style; which can then be removed to make way for even more weight of reactive arrays.

I referred to it as "inverse stillbrew" because like stillbrew, it's bolt-on spaced plates intended to improve protection, but it's inverse because the increased protection is achieved by removing them (and using the weight for more efficient armor like NERA).

Cunning, although I guess some would then be put ahead of the outer HHA plate?

My plan was to switch over the 'medium' M8 to the aluminium hulled version (dropping the weight down to a third), then slap NERA on the outside. I also worked out a way to get a LRF using 50's-era electronics, but apparently the Californians don't know about it yet...

14 hours ago, Lord_James said:

I’m going for a Merkava style layout with engine / transmission front, rear turret, and rear door. Gun is a 155mm L/44 naval cannon, fed via a T-72 style loader (charges are manually inserted, but shells are stored in the carousel). Hoping for >80 tonnes. 

Let me fix that for you.

13 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Holy shit.  That's one way to make sure you hit the ground pressure requirement.

I can actually go up to about 1100mm wide tracks. 

Though I am heavily considering going for 1600mm tracks and go crazy with 1000mm thick side armor. 

Though it would probably look ugly.

13 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Will it be manned by Jawas?

Its not that bad actually. I just used a very unconventional layout. 

Attention trans ladies, natal-ladies, and other, equally valid genders

qhX9hvQ.jpg

It is I, Her Gracious and Serene Majesty Queen Diane Feinstein the VIII, I have been keeping a close eye on this competition and frankly I think we can do better. The Dianetic People’s Republic of California is, after all, the most diverse country in the world. Our diversity quota ensure that only one cishet white male is allowed on your design team. Anyway, I think that we aim for the stars with this new tank and should have a gun that accomplishes that. I am adjusting the requirements: The gun must use traditional AP rounds. Sub-caliber rounds limit our ability to develop high-explosive rounds which, is the main ammo type of our tanks. One of my aides informs me that full-bore AP is more effective against NERA. Also the phallic structure of sub-caliber rounds enforces toxic heteromasculinity. The requirements for this new gun should be around 8 inches of penetration at 1.25 miles at 1200 minutes of an arc. That way this tank can defeat anything those Cascadians Chuds can throw at us.