Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Starship Appreciation Thread

LostCosmonaut

anything interesting posted online will be reposted

I have read recently that the keyhole in the 152 caused the barrels to burst.

It would have been a decent turret design if they'd given it a gun that actually worked.  Lack of rangefinder would have sucked, but I suppose LRFs were just around the corner.

The roided up XM150 (with like double the chamber pressure and a longer barrel) ought to have been interesting in that regard

I have read recently that the keyhole in the 152 caused the barrels to burst.

It would have been a decent turret design if they'd given it a gun that actually worked.  Lack of rangefinder would have sucked, but I suppose LRFs were just around the corner.

It was a problem with the Sheridan's 152 mm M81 too so they made the keyway shallower on later guns, only as deep as the rifling on the M81E1. The XM162E1, which the M60A2 had when it was standardized, also had a shallow keyway.

It's more like a mutant cross bred by mad science, for whom every single moment of existence is agonizing pain and it wheezes for us to put it out of its misery.

It looked good on paper though, fooled the Soviets into thinking it was a bit better than the T-64B and a lot better than the T-72/T-64A.

• 2 weeks later...