Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

BROACH Warhead

I see many knowledgeable members here so i decided to make an account to ask some question

According to many historical accounts, the armor of WW II battleship is very thick: can be between 410-650 mm of steel

Thick enough that they can even resist penetration  from 12-16 inch canon 

Look+at+17-inch+thickness+of+the+armored

maxresdefault.jpg

Compared to these massive round, it is probably obvious that missiles such as Harpoon, Exocet will do little or nothing against the armor belt: No penetration and probably nothing more than a small dent.

Anti tank missiles such as AGM-65, AGM-114 or Brimstone can penetrate the armor but all their warhead will do is penetrating a tiny hole into the massive battleship, it likely will hit nothing significant given that a battleship have massive volume of space). Furthermore, i heard space armor is extremely effective against HEAT warhead as well).

But what if the two are combined? HEAT + explosive warhead: aka BROACH.

With a frontal shape charged and secondary follow through bomb

This is the working principles of the system:

fetch?id=3839042&d=1540554610

fetch?id=3839046&d=1540559047

BROACH was designed to help small cruise missile penetrate bunkers. So i have some question:

1- Because concrete and soil are very brittle, unlike steel, I think the precursor charge likely much drill bigger hole in them than it can drill on steel armor belt of a battleship, so even if we use missile with BROACH warhead to hit a battleship, it won't drill a hole big enough to allow the secondary warhead to pass through. Is that a correct assessment?

2-  Looking at the cutaway of the missiles. How come the detonation of the frontal shaped charge doesn't damage/destroy the secondary warhead or at very least propel it to the opposite direction? 

3-  Can supersonic missiles such as Agm-88 (Mach2) , Asmp-A (Mach3) , Rampage , Asm-3 (Mach 3) , Hawc (Mach 5) penetrate the armor belt of a battleship? or they simply don't have enough velocity and density?

Hehj I had the same discusion whit John Lipiecki.

1- BROACH and MEPHISTO warhed are able to go trought Iowa armour. Precursor is not typical HEAT bud mid form between EFP and HEAT - slow streahing jet. It will penetrate more armour then it's diameter but making guite big hole in armour. Second and main charge should went trought hole. And it's mean catastropihc kill for top turret any battleship...

2- due to ability to form blast wave in propper way

3 - doubt

But Soviet Ch-22N and P500-P700 had quite tricky warhed whit both - HEAT and blast warhed.And dimension was close to Mistele from IIWW...

6 hours ago, Militarysta said:

Hehj I had the same discusion whit John Lipiecki.

1- BROACH and MEPHISTO warhed are able to go trought Iowa armour. Precursor is not typical HEAT bud mid form between EFP and HEAT - slow streahing jet. It will penetrate more armour then it's diameter but making guite big hole in armour. Second and main charge should went trought hole. And it's mean catastropihc kill for top turret any battleship...

2- due to ability to form blast wave in propper way

3 - doubt

But Soviet Ch-22N and P500-P700 had quite tricky warhed whit both - HEAT and blast warhed.And dimension was close to Mistele from IIWW...

1- Do you have any additional documents about BROACH warhead?
2- But how can it form blast wave in one direction only? 

14 hours ago, Militarysta said:

Here you go...

The video title says Moskit, but I think it is more likely a Granit. Whole ship penetrated from front to back. This is the result of a 750kg penetrating warhead. (similar to WW2 penetrating bombs)

And the warhead itself. Imagine this smashing into the ship's hull at mach 1.6... Thats enormous kinetic energy.

CPG2p.jpg

5 hours ago, heretic88 said:

Here you go...

The video title says Moskit, but I think it is more likely a Granit. Whole ship penetrated from front to back. This is the result of a 750kg penetrating warhead. (similar to WW2 penetrating bombs)

And the warhead itself. Imagine this smashing into the ship's hull at mach 1.6... Thats enormous kinetic energy.

CPG2p.jpg

I cound be wrong but i think 16 inch cannon round is bigger than Moskit warhead and probably faster too

• 2 weeks later...

The JSOW unitary weapon system, AGM-154C,(Figure 3-15) is an advanced version of the JSOW family of weapons. It incorporates a warhead system consisting of a penetrating shaped-charge augmenting charge (AC) in front of the follow-through bomb (FTB). It provides blast/fragmentation effectiveness, as well as hardened target penetration capability (Figure 3-16)that’s controlled with the 10 available selective fuze settings (Table 3-2).

Jw3OOy1.jpg

0TLHeRq.jpg

F68Giiy.jpg