Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
Sturgeon

Art Appreciation Thread

Colli and I recently went with our brother to the Chapungu Zimbabwean Sculpture Park in Loveland, and there were some really interesting pieces there.

I didn't take any pictures, but I was able to find a few for this post.

7UP4enA.jpg

FMgospq.jpg

bWfOJF1.jpg

RI8UCdG.jpg

7LWXc21.jpg

800px-Joachim_von_Sandrart_-_November.jp

"November", German hunter wearing an ushanka, Joachim von Sandrart, 1643.

Notice all the russets, browns, and oranges reflecting an autumn setting, but then also the grey on the jacket, gloves, and in the clouds to show a storm. Also, Apollo in the upper right.

Pissed off artist adds "Pissing Pug" next to statue of "Fearless Girl" on Wall Street

https://nypost.com/2017/05/29/pissed-off-artist-adds-statue-of-urinating-dog-next-to-fearless-girl/

052917pissed_fearless_girl19gsb.jpg?qual

Here at SH, we typically take an anti-Pug stance. But in this case, I'm willing to make an exception.

4 hours ago, Donward said:

Pissed off artist adds "Pissing Pug" next to statue of "Fearless Girl" on Wall Street

https://nypost.com/2017/05/29/pissed-off-artist-adds-statue-of-urinating-dog-next-to-fearless-girl/

052917pissed_fearless_girl19gsb.jpg?qual

Here at SH, we typically take an anti-Pug stance. But in this case, I'm willing to make an exception.

I approve... And I also knew it was just a matter of time.

I've developed quite a fondness for art deco architecture over the last couple of years. Even the grayest, gloomiest and most monolithic edifices can be given an impressively majestic presence through the judicious use of angels, grotesques, bold geometric forms and gracefully pointy bits. Fewer things do a better job of saying "BOW BEFORE CHRIST".

Boston_Avenue_UMC_9.jpg

Boston_Avenue_UMC_6.jpg

Boston Avenue Methodist Church

And that art noveau's not bad either - specifically Gaudi's stuff around Barcelona.

I find a lot of Russian paintings, like their music, to be simultaneously beautiful and haunting. I suppose it comes with the territory. Strangely, the only other place I've encountered landscapes this affecting was in The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, a game that is head and shoulders above the competition in making you feel as though you're running, riding or sailing from one end of a vast country to the other.

kuindzhi5.jpg

A Birch Grove, Arkhip Kuindzhi, oil on canvas, 1879.

1920px-Ivan_Shishkin_-_%D0%A0%D0%BE%D0%B

A Rye Field, Ivan Shishkin, oil on canvas, 1878.

4b9d7a4058bcc662bd86fe5ab70aac8a.jpg

Evening Bells, Isaac Levitan, oil on canvas, 1892.

259454.jpg

View of Constantinople and the Bosphorus, Ivan Aivazovsky, oil on canvas, 1856.

f60aa2076b5753e3034c3f41c192e3d2.jpg

da8d42d2844c3ff2951e704d01f7f074.jpg

Viktor Bykov.

Ravishing. One day I hope to take a journey on the Trans-Siberian Railway to see this vast and storied land for myself.

1845g0a7yney.png

Hm, must revisit that game.

Art?

UtbMV8L.jpg

Human Chess Game in Tsarist  Soviet Russia, 1924.

Edit: unfortunately, the re-education programs failed to impress upon me the fact that the glorious patriotic Bolshevik revolution ended in 1922, and this chess game would have been Soviet.

Somehow, it's better as a  Soviet human chess game than a Tsarist one.

The Reds didn't have any bishops, but they were able to take the White King and Queen, which basically cost the Whites the game. From then on, the Reds played without a king, queen or bishops but with double the normal number of pawns.

Not sure i this is the exact right thread for this, but who in the hell is the face in this graffiti? A friend saw this and emailed it to me asking, and I have spent 2 weeks searching and not getting an answer. Google image search thins the first picture is just brickwork and the second one just gives the result "rock" with Wikipedia links to both the music genre and the geological rock.

YztIOFW.jpg

Here is the face alone with only the black stenciled/drawn parts:

sqm1Bv4.jpg