Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The terrible movies and reviews thread

Toxn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw Deadpool. Good action scenes, boring non-action scenes, and hit & miss jokes. YMS's review is pretty spot on for the movie. 

This looks interesting 

It looks pretty gimmicky, but it might turn out alright.

I just want maximum cheese + good action out of it. 

I watched it several days ago. It is full of cheese and good action. First 20 minutes they have a problem with shaky cam, but later it is not a problem. 

Inspired by my Netflix recommendations, a question;

Which 1990s space disaster film is better; Armageddon, or Deep Impact.

I'm going with Deep Impact, because;

• Orion Drive instead of retarded space shuttle clones
  • Long period comet instead of stupidly large asteroid we somehow missed
  • I dunno, I just liked it better

BSG S01E03 "Bastille Day" is one of the worst pieces of television writing I have ever seen. I want to torture the person who wrote it to death, then invent necromancy, bring them back to life, and torture them to death again.

Really?  I would say even the worst episodes of BSG were better than 90% of most TV episodes.  Remember, this is a medium that gave us this:

oh wait, that actually looks pretty damn awesome. 

I mean having a black guy play Roland completely freaking waters down the racial white versus black interaction later in the series between Roland and Eddie versus Susannah/Detta.

Yes, in Hollywood's quest to convince everyone that they are Not Racist, they will surely ruin one of the best black characters in fantasy fiction.

My theory is that it's so they can take the interesting and complex (and black) character of Susannah, and replace her with a stereotypical Evil White Southerner who will then fall for Roland's BBC.

And then poor Eddie gets cucked. 

Hey! It is appropriate to use that term right now!

Yes, in Hollywood's quest to convince everyone that they are Not Racist, they will surely ruin one of the best black characters in fantasy fiction.

I was initially confused by the article you linked and was like "Yeah, he wouldn't be my first choice by I can see Matthew McConaughey as Roland and - oh they have a black guy playing Walter/Man in Black? OK. I can deal with that. It would even make sense given the story between him and Roland's parents later on in the series..."

But fuck no. 

I think your assessment is correct. 

McConaughey may well do a very good job as the Man in Black, but you're right that I could see Idris Elba doing a great job at that role as well.

Casting Elba as Roland, though, proves that the showrunners did not read the books. That hurts or destroys so many elements from the books that it's just sad.

McConaughey may well do a very good job as the Man in Black, but you're right that I could see Idris Elba doing a great job at that role as well.

Casting Elba as Roland, though, proves that the showrunners did not read the books. That hurts or destroys so many elements from the books that it's just sad.

Detta Walker screaming about "Honk mahfuhs" and mocking Eddie and Roland for being white and wanting to rape her and being a miserable racist is kind of important the development of that character in regards to...

Oh hahahaha, who the fuck am I kidding. It's Hollywood and they give two shits about realistic characters and their development. And neither do the Millenials who'll lap this pap up.

The whole fucking lot of them should be fed to Lobstrosities,