Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The terrible movies and reviews thread

Toxn

Just watched Bladerunner 2049.

blade_runner_2049_holo.jpg

It is essentially a slow-paced atmospheric noire-cyberpunk detective that is focused on small amount of characters, rather simple almost straight-forward plot, sparce dialogues and rare action scenes happening in incredible sci-fi universe of futuristic mega-cities and forgotten deadlands.

Bladerunner 2049 is true sequel to original Bladerunner - what some people liked in first is presented and better in new film, but it will not win hearts of those who found original as boring. 

tfgakmtj4kkz0wxth22m.gif

Visuals are amazing, with very well made and used cgi and practical effects. Sets design is visually interesting and memorable, it have different environments, different styles from near-abstract rooms of corporation that is making Replicants to dirty trash-filled areas outside of the city. 

blade2.png

Music is superb and fit atmosphere really well. Sound work was very good outside of one specific place when it started to early during transition from quite scene to another, but loud one. The soundtrack is almost completely ambience and enhance overal experience by a big margin.

blade-runner-2049.jpg

Actors were very good, but I can't say for English version. And yes, @Collimatrix, it does matter. For example English version of Asterix and Obelix: Mission Cleopatra was not even nearly as funny as Russian, because Russian translators took liberties that made this comedy exceptionally good with some jokes becoming so good that I still remember them.

Didn't noticed any weak performances, I liked main umm.... villain, although movie would have been better if he was made less movie-evil and his "I am weirdly-smart" side was explored more. 

blade-runner-2049-jared-leto-slice-600x200.jpg

This film have some subtle humour in it, which helped to awoid fatigue from "heavy" scenes.

The plot is not too vague, which decreases "rewatchability", but still not 100% clearly stated, so you still have some sort of free mental space.

blade-runner-2049-990x557.jpg

Main way to watch Bladerunner 2049 is to be ready for slow journey into incredible cinematic universe of cyberpunk-ish sci-fi, enjoy atmosphere, visuals and follow main hero in his discovery of things that happened between time of original and current films.

dave-bautista-blade-runner-2049.png

This movie was splendid, I would say it is easily in "9/10" category for it's high level of escapism potential. It is not a masterpiece as some reviewers are claiming, and not all people can enjoy it, but if it will click, it will be excellent 2h40m of your time. 

Blade-Runner-2049-1.jpg

If you plan to watch it, don't go in big companies or with co-workers, go alone or with good friend/wife that saw first Bladerunner and liked it. Leave kids, grandpas and grandmas at home, they will get bored and fall asleep or will bother you by going to WC several times. And yes, don't drink much before movie and don't forget to go to WC before and wear most comfortable clothing, as your body should be silent the whole almost 3 hour long cinematic experience. After seeing it I had this good "aftertaste" which happened with me in recent year or 2 only after Babydriver and John Wick 2.

blade-runner-2049-review-dark-vision-weak-storytelling.jpg?itok=EwvMAXPG

On 09.10.2017 at 2:10 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That sounds like pretty good news.....How was the set lighting?  Part of the beauty of the original was the incredibly atmospheric way it was lit (& watered), the trailers I'd seen of 2049 had me pretty worried on that front TBH.

Added some images from movie.

I've been wrong before but I have absolutely zero interest in paying to watch the Blade Runner movie and therefore won't. In fact the preponderance of movies that have come out this year have generated zero enthusiasm on my part, and I'm someone who is somewhat of a pop culture nerd. 

21 minutes ago, Donward said:

Oh yeah. 

Announcer: In a world full of movies and television, only one channel is keeping them honest... And making star-lets show their tits to get work.

Here's to hoping Jenny's aloof and deadpan sense of humor isn't the consequence of something darker!

Just saw the 2015 horror/thriller movie The Witch. I went in pretty much completely blind, and boy oh boy did I like this movie. I really want to watch it again, I just felt like every beat, every note was hit perfectly. The visuals are really fantastic, there are several shots that I would want as desktop wallpapers.

I was worried about two things going in: 1. This would be a jump scare fest. 2. It would be really slow for an hour, and then the last half hour would be a bunch of shock scenes. Noooope. There is arguably a single jump scare in the movie, though I think that number should really be zero (the "jump scare" is more like a jarring note after something bad already happened). Nor is the movie slow, it takes about five minutes to start getting good, and it just ramps up in intensity from there. But it's not a shock scene clip show, either, you are legitimately invested in the characters and where they end up. The actors all do very well, I think there was one scene where I wasn't sure I found Anya Taylor-Joy's performance entirely convincing, but she was fantastic aside from that. Ralph Ineson does a phenomenal job, and his gravelly voice really helps sell the time period. I was initially skeptical of the casting of Kate Dickie, since it seems like everyone casts her just for her nostril control and veins on her neck, but by the end I thought she did a great job. I think it's obvious that Taylor-Joy was cast in the movie Split based on her performance in The Witch

The entire film is acted in something close to (but not quite) Original Pronunciation. This helped sell the whole setting and really helped invest me in the acting and the dialogue. At the end of the film, there is a note that much of the film's dialogue was taken from period sources and records, and I am willing to believe that with how fluid and natural everything feels.

I don't want to say much more, other than that I will recommend The Witch (2015) to you fine blokes. Even my girlfriend (who is not a fan of horror movies) liked it a whole lot. It's 90 minutes, so why not?

And just remember:

fdb0a06ec511b6c1bf4e6c3a7ec5ff67.jpg

13 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Just saw the 2015 horror/thriller movie The Witch. I went in pretty much completely blind, and boy oh boy did I like this movie.

Funded by OxyContin!  Seriously.  ;)

Other Sackler heirs get to do the fun stuff: One helps finance small, interesting films like The Witch;