Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The terrible movies and reviews thread

Toxn

Holy shiite! According to Das Wikipedia, the director of Zardoz, John Boorman, was initially tabbed to direct a live action version of Lord of the Rings in the 1970s but the project fell through.

Considering he also directed Deliverance and Excalibur, this might have been awesome.

Holy shiite! According to Das Wikipedia, the director of Zardoz, John Boorman, was initially tabbed to direct a live action version of Lord of the Rings in the 1970s but the project fell through.

Considering he also directed Deliverance and Excalibur, this might have been awesome.

I feel like the technology simply wasn't there until pretty recently.

Granted, the current problem seems to be more along the lines of 'the technology is there, but gets used for things that practical effects would be better for'.

Speaking of technology lackig a plot, I finally got around to watching Terminator Generic Generous Genisys.

I was actually entertained, although every criticism that people have had of this movie is essentially correct. It helps that the governator has always had this weird presence on film - the flat acting everyone else was putting out just made his performance work somehow. Crazy when the best emotional stuff is coming from an old action star playing a literal robot.

Watched Waterloo, the 1970 movie. Pretty good, the battle scenes were well done. Though the one guy lamenting the horrors of war in the middle of a battle was pretty hamfisted.

Great. Someone said waterloo

Time to rewatch it for the fifth time this week

This will amuse you folk, but I only just got around to watching Chappie the other day.

It was... less terrible than I'd been told to expect, but still bad.

Also, I'm now pretty sure that Joburg ran over Blomkamp's dog or something. I mean, parts of the city are rough but it's like the population is entirely made up of white gangsters. Also, it has areas that aren't industrial hellscapes or urban warzones.

• 3 weeks later...

He is the equivalent of the Wonder Twins characters in the old Super Friends cartoons. It was to appeal to a younger demographic by having the young Ensign save the Enterprise every four or five episodes. The first few seasons of TNG suck with all of the Prime Directive and civilians on the Enterprise. The show finally finally got good with the addition of the Borg which forced the Enterprise crew to stop negotiating with aliens and instead killing them outright.

Also any episode with Q is pretty solid.