Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The terrible movies and reviews thread

Toxn

I just rewatched the original Ghostbusters for the first time in years. So much of it is how Murray basically is a break in the 4th wall from the rest of the movie. The characterization of the minor characters is also well done. 

That slapping scene it the trailer is a war crime. 

To me, they have completely missed the point of the "Winston" character.  In the original film, he functions as the "regular guy" character giving the audience someone to relate to.  While he is not a trained scientist like the other three, he is never portrayed as a fool or a idiot and often is the voice of reason within the group.  While some of his jokes are based on being black (I've seen shit that would turn you white!), his race is not the central component of his character.  In the new film, it seems like they completely missed this dynamic, instead opting for 'lets cast a zany black character!"  For example, how terrible is the "It's a Cadillac!" line?  Yes, we get it, black people like Cadillacs.  Considering that they decided to change the gender of all the characters, why couldn't they mix up the racial makeup as well?  Do we really need yet another buffoonish black sidekick character in a movie?   Perhaps I am overreacting.  I'll reserve my final opinion for when I see the movie.  But based on the trailer, I am not hopeful. 

7gYBh1q.jpg

My mind is numb from years of deployment. A single year seems to last seven. They say the world is full of beautiful colors. It all looks black and white to me. A question swirls around my brain - somebody stateside asked me, years ago. "Who's a good boy?" I've learned that there are none. We don't all go to heaven

Y

I'm not going to be watching it anytime soon but "Superman vs. Batman" is going to be a catastrophe, right guys?

Yeah for starters, it's just another lame comic book movie. Plus, superman is fucking lame, and Batman is even fucking lamer.  I don't get the guys really into comic book heros, have they never opened a real book, and read about a real man, doing real heroic shit? I'm glad my parents discouraged comic book reading, and got me on real books, sure there's a lot of trash books out there too, but even Mack Maloney's, 'Wingman' is way better than your average comic. 

And Stan Lee is a fucking hack, and a loser, and deserves disdain and contempt, not the accolades he gets. 

• 2 weeks later...

Suicide Squad is going to suck despite having a good premise for comics. One of the problems with DC's characters is that they are by nature one-dimensional and nearly impossible to write well. Hell, the Nolan Batman movies pretty much succeeded the same way other Batman media do: Focus on Batman as little as possible while keeping him in the story. It's not necessarily true for all of their heroes, but most of them. I feel like Harley Quinn could be a much better character if an actual good writer got their hands on a story for her.

I watched Zootopia (called Zootropolis here for some reason) and it was honestly not bad.

The most interesting thing I can say beyond that is that I think it will get some serious love from our far right wingers in time, as the plot actually tracks very well with some of their ideas about a 'nag van die lang messe' scenario.