Sturgeon's House

17 minutes ago, Beer said:

Don't  know if that's some sort of humor which I don't understand but I spent part of my childhood trying to sweep those damn oceans from them... 

Spoiler

TJCY2fY.png

NEEEEEEVVVVEEEEERRRRR.

And yes, this is an old joke.

I went to see Ad Astra the other day because sci-fi, it was pretty good but 1) the ending didn't fit and 2) it had glaring plot holes / general handwaves for plot purposes.

Spoiler

why is there sound in space in some scenes, what has tommy lee jones been eating all this time, how has muscle atrophy and radiation not affected him yet, why does he need to be out there why didn't he just send the data back to earth, why didn't he dispose of the bodies, how is radiation from this ship blasting all of earth but somehow not the people onboard, how is this radiation going to destroy the entire solar system, why did brad pitt have to go to mars to record a message, how did brad pitt get enough energy from one nuke to fly billions of miles back to earth while also not destroying the ship, why did the emp from a nuclear explosion not affect his ship, why are space shuttle which are constantly bombarded from radiation in space susceptible to this to begin with, why didn't he just land on mars instead, how did a monkey manage to kill an entire crew or punch through astronaut gear and why did it explode, why was this scene even included in the movie, why were the scientists who were shitting their pants during a power surge suddenly willing to fight brad pitt to the death in melee combat, why are there pirates on the fucking moon, why is there incredibly toxic gases stored in the crew compartment of a spaceship, why did brad pitt need a shield to fly through neptune's rings, how did he manage to even find his ship again, why couldn't his pod be manually docked, why is he rambling on in his psych evaluations like a lunatic when he knows the government does not want him on this mission, why did all the shuttles land in the most inefficient retarded way possible, I could keep going.

Apparently there were a lot of last minute changes to the script too.

Finally watched Hard Boiled.

All action scenes were over the top and fun, parts in between - average, last action scene (almost whole hospital part) was a bit too much. Great action scenes there, but the whole thing is too long to the point of being exhausting.

9e002fab14b47707ac49f4a394722c28.jpg

On 12/14/2019 at 2:48 PM, LoooSeR said:

Finally watched Hard Boiled.

All action scenes were over the top and fun, parts in between - average, last action scene (almost whole hospital part) was a bit too much. Great action scenes there, but the whole thing is too long to the point of being exhausting.

9e002fab14b47707ac49f4a394722c28.jpg

so you could say they over cooked it :D 

... I’ll go back under my rock now... 

Few days ago watched indian movie Robot 2.0

Movie is weird indian Marvel-like film about superheroes with creators having a joint or 2 during making of it. Dumb, but entertaining. For me it was about 7/10.

So i was thinking what is the best recent action movie i watched in last year and Raid short series comes to my mind first. Escape from Tarkov devs paid some money to unknown filmmakers to do their series of live action episodes based on their FPS. 

qdyA51M.jpg

Spoiler

Some of main actors.

tw1b0pv.jpg

3SlxLHT.jpg

uPyhRZ6.jpg

Series is based on game's lore (Tarkov city and areas around it in chaos after some events, 2 PMCs and scavenger/bandits are now fighting in abandoned city) but doesn't really go deep into the story (at least yet). Relatively to it's low budget, production is pretty good and combat scenes are great. Eng translation sadly can't convey great attention to details in dialogues/speech/slang which elevates whole experience by a lot.

B718MJv.jpg

Spoiler

During filming first episode

mv6qjnl.jpg

yt3twRH.jpg

JoVASpy.jpg

I like this series more than a lot of movies i watched in 2019. Just to name one - Raid was more interesting for me to follow than John Wick 3 or some of those endless Marvel movies.

This action series isn't perfect, first episode is the weakest IMO, limited budget and low experience of camera operator and director can be seen time to time, but as a whole it was very intense, in places very realistic, satisfying to watch. If you want to scratch that realistic-ish action movie itch, i can recommend this series for you. Also, combined, episodes got 3.5+ mln views (under 18 and 18+ versions). Currently there are three 10-15 minues episodes done, ~40 min in total. Eng subs are avaliable.