Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Sturgeon

41 minutes ago, Meplat said:

"Doorknob Five -Two".

From there I can't help much. But I have loads of tech on the P-38. (And I can really bore you on the J47.)

One of my grandfathers really knew that plane.  Went in the USAAC in 1938, and retired in 1968 as a CWO4.  He'd held an "A&E" since the early 30's.

He won a bronze star as a mechanic, for keeping P38's in the air under terrible conditions in Italy.

He also had some association with the RAF "Eagle Squadrons", but was still in the USAAC and working on the Mosquito and Spitfire. (Never got a solid answer).

I remember some Brit guys visiting when I was VERY young in the early 70's.  I was just happy (at the time) that they talked to me about Spitfires (I'd seen the BoB movie ).

Yeah, doorknob Five-Two, was the first adult book I ever read, I read the version know as Kohn's War.  I loved the book, and was really disappointed to find out the Author had made up a bunch of stuff up about himself.   

The mechanics who kept aircraft like the P-38 flying, often in terrible conditions, and through the night, were the unsung heroes of the Air War.  When you read about the 5th Air Force in the dark early days of 1942, into 43, was so low on airframes and spares, they were putting aircraft together from 3 or 4 wrecks! Every P-38 the 5th Fighter command lost in 42 into 43 was a HUGE loss, and when they wanted to do an all P-38 Air Group, (the 475th), they had to take away all the 49th Fighter groups and others P-38s to do it, and the Air Force couldn't send new pilots or maintainers so he had stripped the pilots, and take people from his non combat staff! He was able to do this because they found a large number of Chinese refugees(if I recall right) being held by the Australian Government, and was able to use the suitable ones in some staff and housekeepings roles, freeing up GIs.  In my opinion, George Kenney was the most brilliant Air Force Officer of the war. 

I’m terrible with words (I post more on this site than I speak IRL, on average), being lysdexic and usually thinking in a form of shorthand that only marginally resembles the English language, which can make speaking strange as I sometimes take long pauses between words as I “translate” my thoughts. But (at least, I think) I’m creative, and passionate about fiction (science or otherwise). I do have one question though: is this “creative zone” only for books/scripts/literature or can I post, like, video game ideas? 

Anyway, cool thread. The first 5 pages were funny with the fan fics and bizarre romance, almost had me in tears twice (Colli’s weird porcelain penguin/reaper thing that lived off the souls of virgins was priceless). Awesome work @Sturgeon, with the wendigo book (I assume it’s a wendigo, based on the general description of the creature, location of the events, and references to cannibalism), I hope you haven’t abandoned that project, I look forward to reading more! 

7 hours ago, Lord_James said:

I’m terrible with words (I post more on this site than I speak IRL, on average), being lysdexic and usually thinking in a form of shorthand that only marginally resembles the English language, which can make speaking strange as I sometimes take long pauses between words as I “translate” my thoughts. But (at least, I think) I’m creative, and passionate about fiction (science or otherwise). I do have one question though: is this “creative zone” only for books/scripts/literature or can I post, like, video game ideas? 

Anyway, cool thread. The first 5 pages were funny with the fan fics and bizarre romance, almost had me in tears twice (Colli’s weird porcelain penguin/reaper thing that lived off the souls of virgins was priceless). Awesome work @Sturgeon, with the wendigo book (I assume it’s a wendigo, based on the general description of the creature, location of the events, and references to cannibalism), I hope you haven’t abandoned that project, I look forward to reading more! 

It's not a wendigo, but it is where stories of wendigoes come from. It has no direct mythological analogue, but its kin inspired myths around the world.

I am not done with Heartblood yet. I got busy with RL then it got flipped turned upside down, and by the time I thought about the story again I had learned enough more about writing that there are pretty big chunks I want to re-write. Specifically, chapter 4. I don't think I convey very well that by that point Maddie is emotionally drained and deep in emotional shock which is where her composure and aloofness to her situation come from. Also, she has good problem solving and outdoor skills which I pretty much totally failed to foreshadow. So the justification for a lot of chapter 4 is... Poor, but I also feel it's important not to make her time in the cave drag on. We have other things to get to! So it needs some real TLC.

10 hours ago, Lord_James said:

Film: 

• Doomtm experimental film following the new 2016 storyline (protagonist Doom Guy is completely silent, as he should be [maybe grunts and sighs], and dialogue is provided by people around him). 

Doom doesn't work as a movie and people should stop trying to make it into a movie.

10 hours ago, Lord_James said:

Games: 

• Doom "Apocalypse" (Set up before the new Doom "Eternal", this tells the story of the humans who fought against the demons as they conquered the world, with optional multiplayer story [will elaborate if interested]). 

Ummm.. that was DooM 4 that was in development hell until fresh blood of ID Software rebooted it into what we know as Doom 2016. Devs scraped that game as it was "Call of Doom". NoClip made a documentary about development of DooM 2016, with footage from working prototypes of "Call Of Doom". 

13 hours ago, Xlucine said:

Ooh, I hadn't heard of that one - thanks

/.../

(should be the playlist for the whole documentary)

In gaming thread some time ago i posted a GDC talks by ID software game designer and AI programmer about enemy design for "Push forward" combat of DooM 2016. They were rather interesting as well.

I used to write things.

Spoiler

The land around Seville was dry and brown and parched. It recalled very much the American West that the young ambulance driver liked to hunt in. He was sure they would make American movies with soft, boyish heroes when it came time to celebrate this hard, manly war. There would be movies and they would be shot in Arizona and the hero, maybe Clark Gable or Gary Cooper would bend the girl over at the end and kiss her and she would nuzzle in his stubble and the smell of Aqua Velva. All the men would applaud and when the boys asked if it was really like that they would shrug and take another drink.

The young ambulance driver was at the door of the guardhouse to kill time. The men there smoked their hand-rolled cigarettes and nodded slowly at the passers-by.

"It's pretty hot," one said.

"We should drink beer."

"The Italians got it pretty hard at Guadalajara. We will win soon and go home and drink real beer."

"Good," said the one named Eric, "I can't stand it here; the Russians are following me all the time and I can't stand all the poor people."

"Did you hear about the crazy woman in the factory? She cut another woman's face with a knife. They say she is a shameless harlot who can keep no lover for long."

"Hey, ambulance driver, you should go see her!"

"Yes," said another man who had a large mustache and liked to wink a lot, "someone needs to write out her warrant!"

The ambulance driver sighed and walked from the shade of the trees in front of the guardhouse to the jail. He got out the paperwork and walked over to the cell with the woman in it. She smelled of cheap cigarettes and flowers.

"L'amour est un oiseau rebelle que nul ne peut apprivoiser," she said at him, tilting her head.

"Why are you speaking French? We are in Spain."

"L'oiseau que tu croyais surprendre battit de l'aile et s'envola"

"I never miss birds," the ambulance driver muttered, even though it was not true. He finished up the paperwork.

"Do you have anything else to say for yourself miss?"

"L'amour est enfant de Bohême, il n'a jamais, jamais connu de loi; si tu ne m'aimes pas, je t'aime," she had a pretty voice and long eyelashes.

"This is silly," the young man said, "I am going to the bullfight."

It was still hot but everyone went to the ring to watch the bullfight. The toreador had gotten roaring drunk the night before and talked about how soldiers and bullfighters are the same to understand danger, and the young ambulance driver had thought it was all very silly. He much preferred bullfights to war.

The picadors and the bull were out in the ring when Eric, the tired and cynical one leaned over to the young ambulance driver.

"Can you hear something?" he asked.

"No," said the ambulance driver earnestly.

"Listen, I think I hear something far away in the air."

They both listened and had to forget the bullfight, which made them both a little sad.

"It's the Fascists! I can hear their leitmotif!" Both of them jumped up and ran to sound the air raid siren.

"Well, they do have good taste in music."

"No, it's just that one song really. The rest is boring and it takes forever to hear the whole thing. Besides, many of my friends are Jewish!"

• 3 months later...