Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Merkava, Israel's Chieftain?

Life_In_Black

That is media noise that have nothing to do with actual situation. The vehicle serial number was known for a long time, AFAIK tank was found to be not a tank with missing crew. And Israel accepted vehicle as participant of that battle, not as evidence for investigation.

You are exactly right. I hope this exchange helps build and repair relations between the two countries. It amazes me when I visit Israel. just how many Russian speakers there are and how significant Russian culture still is for many second generation immigrants. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rumors are saying that Israeli Army want to mount a RCWS with 30 mm autocannon on Namer, at least for tests. It is possible that new turret will be based on this one:

CmA-HKZWkAUxIoD.jpg

Elbit will be main developer of new turret. It will be equipped with Meil Ruakh APS.

Hi LoooSeR,

At least two different 30mm cannon/ATGM capable RCWS have already been trialled on the Namer for years now. The problem is funding and to an extent doctrine. It was the intention of MANTAK to introduce such a firepower support Namer, right from the earliest days of the concept. However, no funds were available..

Cheers

Marsh

That part is not representative of real armor of Merkava 4. Open hatch on the other hand - is.

Actually the LoS achieved on the UFP is somewhere around 750mm and is almost touching the engine. This is more than the Abrams LFP LoS thickness.

According to a Polish expert who analysed the Merkava 2 in the early 80's, the frontal armor scheme was a cast nose armor (encompasses UFP and LFP), followed by most likely fuel cells, followed by an armor bulkhead, followed by engine, followed by another armor bulkhead. Basically 3 layers of armor  and an engine before you reach the crew compartment.

Hi,

Yep re Sparky.  :)  

However, this beastie is almost double the weight of a Stryker and will be fitted with an active protection system. So, hopefully, it will be more survivable than most wheeled APCs. Which, I am not a great fan of, to be honest.

cheers

Marsh

Won't exactly call these bad boys "death traps".

First of all, they're coming equipped with a Trophy APS. and thanks to a 40mm cannon they'll put up a fight.

Second, I don't know any missile yet that can go through 2 layers of ERA and still pierce a vehicle's armor. 

And third, unlike the previous incident in which the vehicles were destroyed due to lack of situational awareness, these will come equipped with Elbit IronVision, which is essentially a helmet that gives the crew the ability to see through the vehicle, much like in the F-35. Expensive, but the vehicle is still significantly cheaper than its competitors. 

Besides, they won't go where the Namers go. They'll stay farther from the danger zones. Which begs the question: Will the Namers also get an autocannon?