Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Lets talk TV Shows

That's my biggest bugbear right now. We'll see.

So far it reminds me of one of my favorite TV shows that was killed before its time, Stargate Universe.

BSG is fantasy, don't judge by the standards of the real life military.  Once you do that, it's a pretty fun show.  What I liked about it is that it does away with certain standard sci-fi concepts that are usually standard such as energy shields, laser guns, and that sort of thing.  The one thing that does get annoying is their use of real life fire arms.  5.56mm and 9mm weapons are perfectly believable for a military that is supposed to fight human beings, but the BSG soldiers are supposed to be trained to fight armored Cylon robots.  Why don't they have small arms designed for the task?

BSG is fantasy, don't judge by the standards of the real life military.  Once you do that, it's a pretty fun show.  What I liked about it is that it does away with certain standard sci-fi concepts that are usually standard such as energy shields, laser guns, and that sort of thing.  The one thing that does get annoying is their use of real life fire arms.  5.56mm and 9mm weapons are perfectly believable for a military that is supposed to fight human beings, but the BSG soldiers are supposed to be trained to fight armored Cylon robots.  Why don't they have small arms designed for the task?

The soapy drama is what's getting me. Also the episode called "Bastille Day". Honestly, that episode was so bad it made me stop watching entirely.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have made it most of the way through Amazon's The Man in the High Castle, and I'm pleasantly surprised with how good it is. Despite the setting, the writing and storytelling are very good, with a great deal of restraint. It's got plenty of realism, although I am not sure I'd say it's "realistic" (the premise is pretty far-fetched, and some of the bigger picture stuff seems dubious to me, but those are fairly minor concerns). The sub plots are interesting, and they do an excellent job getting you to care about characters even if they are being dumb at that particular moment.

There's quite a bit of setting variety, and one of the interesting bits of the show is the "dystopia triptych", with three different kinds of institutionalized misery in the Greater Nazi Reich in America, the Neutral Zone, and the Japanese Pacific States, respectively. The Reich has a pretty classic "what if Nazis won WWII?" vibe that is brought into living color giving it a creepy feel (although it gets the least screen time), the Japanese territories have a sort of brutal, East German thing going on (with an Oriental flair, of course), and the Neutral Zone is like a cross between the Wild West, Fallout New Vegas, and Nazi Germany. There's a surprisingly interesting "just before a Cold War" thing going on between the Japanese and the Nazis, too.

The series is pretty good. Despite Seattle's Smith Tower being transported to San Francisco by the conniving Japs in Episode 1.

Agreed that the greater plot is far fetched, but the individual story lines are pretty entertaining. Plus the costume and set design coupled with the introduction of "what if" weapons and vehicles is neat.

I just finished Season 1. Holy hell this show is good. It's not flawless, but it surprised me a great deal with how compelling its antagonists are, especially those played by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa and Rufus Sewell.

I always appreciate a flick that humanizes the bad guys, and this show has that in spades.

• 3 weeks later...

Mrs. The Captain and I finished up with one of our favorite shows, Person of Interest, two nights ago. 

Just starting the Viking/Saxon based Last Kingdom today right before the debate.

I believe Lindybeige did a good fisking of all the historically incorrect stuff in the first episode. With that said, the show does a damn good job following the feel of the Bernard Cornwall book.

Also finished the newest season of Longmire last week. Fucking epic.

Mrs. The Captain and I finished up with one of our favorite shows, Person of Interest, two nights ago. 

Just starting the Viking/Saxon based Last Kingdom today right before the debate.

I believe Lindybeige did a good fisking of all the historically incorrect stuff in the first episode. With that said, the show does a damn good job following the feel of the Bernard Cornwall book.

Also finished the newest season of Longmire last week. Fucking epic.

I've got the first Cornwall book. Psyched to read it, but it's a couple books down the queue.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...