Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Lets talk TV Shows

Longmire owns hard, how far into it are you? Lot of interesting stuff happens in later seasons.

Just the first season and we watched Episode 9 with the Cheyenne biker that killed the tribal president. I am curious to see how the series will progress. 

We were watching the science fiction series Defiance which is earth in the near future after a multiracial alien invasion partially terraforms the planet and everyone is now living in the equivalent of Barter Town/St. Louis, Missouri. We dug the first season but the second has bogged the hell down and it seems the producers just want to have the characters do drugs, go to the whore house for lesbian action and take sensual alien baths. Also there's future politics that no one gives a damn about and some alien religion God thing that has possessed one of the main characters.

We LIKE the show. It's just that I now realize we haven't watched the damn thing for over a month now.

• 4 weeks later...

The wife and I have gone through all four seasons of Longmire which has an uncanny ability to stay interesting and keep you wondering how the cliffhangers turn out.

Mrs. Captain decided that we had to watch The Man In The High Castle.

We're five episodes in. The show is pretty good. I've withheld my obvious contempt for Alt Hist with the Nazis/Japs winning and taking over the US.

The thing I'm impressed with is the attention to detail of costume and set design.

• 3 weeks later...

I figured I would give this a bump and mention a show I like.  American Horror Story, not a genre that I really get into, but the show is really well done. It's one of those shows that does something completely each season, but they use a lot of the same actors. 

The first season was called: Murder House. About a victorian house in LA with a twisted history, and the new people who bought it.  good cast, good story, and very good for a first season. The main plotline is the house makes anyone who dies in it a ghost, and lots of people have died in it. Some notables cast, Dylan Mcdermott, Jessica Lange and Connie Britton. 

Season two was called Asylum: About one of those old school state run mental institutions that were nightmares of abuse and neglect. This one has a Nazi Doctor, a serial killer on the staff, and a Nun possessed by the devil. A little darker than the first season, but almost as good. Many of the same actors. Sarah Paulson steps in and McDermott and Britton went out. 

Season three: Coven, is about a school for Witches, Voodoo and a battle between them in New Orleans. Cathy Bates and Angela Bassett joined the cast for this season and it was better than two, but not as good as one. Steve Nicks plays herself in this one.

Season four was called: Freak Show, and had some real freaks in it. It also had a killer clown, and a serial killer. Plus a guy killing the freaks off to sell their corpses to a freak museum. Probably the worst season, but not bad by any means.

Season five: Hotel, was my favorite so far. I thought it was not going to be all that good because it had Lady Gaga in it, plus it had vampires, I really do not like vampire shit, but it didn't ruin it. The Hotel was built by some crazy super rich dude in the 20s, kinda based on Howard Hughes, if Howard Hughes was a serial Killer instead of just normal crazy. Much like Murder House, in the same city, if you die in the hotel, you stay there as a ghost.

Even if you don't like Horror, give it a try, I did, and really liked it.  

Doctor Who is better when it focuses on campy fun/scary episodes/tear-jerking episodes focusing on the mortality of man.

Doctor Who is fucking execrable when the point is to be anti-gun; there are entire episodes whose point is being anti-gun. And it's execrable when the directors are more focused on being SJWs.

Basically it is 50/50 pretty OK/absolute crap.

• 2 months later...

It looks like it's cancellation season for networks. Usually I don't pay attention to these because most are crappy sitcoms that I have no interest in. But the news from ABC caught my eye since they were shows that I've either watched or gave a try.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/12/muppets-canceled

The Muppets reboot got cancelled. GOOD! I watched four of the sixteen episodes including the Christmas special because I freaking LOVED the old Muppet Show from the 1970s and 1980s and it was a staple of my childhood. The reboot sucked. It was terrible. It was like a bunch of community college film students who were concerned about Social Justice issues got ahold of the scripts when no one was looking. And if the series isn't good enough for Frank Oz, it isn't good enough for me.

Agent Carter is getting cancelled. Good. Maybe I'm just an evil white male, but I find it difficult to watch female super heroes. I find it hard to suspend disbelief anymore that 105 pound super models who only eat alfalfa sprouts are able to beat the crap out of six-foot-four inch foreign mercenaries and trained killers. I don't care if they even have "super powers". Fuck Marvel. I'm so fed up with the Marvel universe.

Galavant is getting cancelled. Foreseeable. Galavant is fucking hilarious. Go watch it. The show is self aware and funny and doesn't take itself too serious while mocking show tunes and basic fairy tale tropes. It went on for two short seasons with half-hour episodes, so you can probably watch the whole run in one day on Netflix or whatever. It's worth it. Fortunately, the producers wrapped the whole show up and tied all the loose ends. 

Castle is getting cancelled. My wife is bummed. She's watched it for the whole run and is a big Nathan Fillion fan. It's a pretty OK show in my opinion and - to me - is kind of a jokey crime drama that I don't put any expectations of realism on. I guess there is all kinds of drama between Fillion and the actress who plays his romantic counterpart in the show with the usual Hollywood drama about who hurt whose feelings. 

I am giving the 2004 BSG another shot. My girlfriend and I just got done with the miniseries intro. The show is far from perfect, but I am liking it more now the second time. Watching it with my girlfriend means we can laugh together at the bits that kind of suck.

I kind of regret pulling the ripcord on Mormons in Space after the first season. Oh my God, the phony drama on that show with supposedly trained military personnel...

I kind of regret pulling the ripcord on Mormons in Space after the first season. Oh my God, the phony drama on that show with supposedly trained military personnel...

That's my biggest bugbear right now. We'll see.

So far it reminds me of one of my favorite TV shows that was killed before its time, Stargate Universe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I chanced upon the History Chunnel's "Barbarians Uprising" this evening which purports to tell the story of Rome's enemies while pausing every 8 minutes for a commercial about erectile dysfunction. This episode showcased the life of Hannibal Barca, the great Carthaginian general who - for some reason - was portrayed by a black actor because the show's producers apparently don't understand the concept that not every person from the continent of Africa is black. Putting that aside, it had your standard poor battlefield re-enactments and overly dramatic acting interspersed with interviews by academic "experts" including General Weasely Clark and - I shit you not - the Reverend Jesse Jackson and some other guy who were trying to portray the Second Punic War as a struggle for Civil Rights. That's right. The mercenary army that burned and pillaged its way through the Roman heartland for two decades 2,300 years ago was fighting for Civil Rights.

http://www.history.com/shows/barbarians-rising

So I chanced upon the History Chunnel's "Barbarians Uprising" this evening which purports to tell the story of Rome's enemies while pausing every 8 minutes for a commercial about erectile dysfunction. This episode showcased the life of Hannibal Barca, the great Carthaginian general who - for some reason - was portrayed by a black actor because the show's producers apparently don't understand the concept that not every person from the continent of Africa is black. Putting that aside, it had your standard poor battlefield re-enactments and overly dramatic acting interspersed with interviews by academic "experts" including General Weasely Clark and - I shit you not - the Reverend Jesse Jackson and some other guy who were trying to portray the Second Punic War as a struggle for Civil Rights. That's right. The mercenary army that burned and pillaged its way through the Roman heartland for two decades 2,300 years ago was fighting for Civil Rights.

http://www.history.com/shows/barbarians-rising

It's also not like recent DNA testing of Carthaginians/Phoenician remains shown that they were European.