Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Awww crap. The world just got a little lesst funny and awesome.

Belesarius

My wife and her entire family are huge Terry Pratchett fans. I've read and very much enjoyed his books myself.

Quick story since I have to run to pick up a load of cured horse manure - for schnerious - a year or so ago we found out Pratchett was coming to Seattle on one of his tours. And by "found out" I was reading the blog of our city's OTHER alt newspaper and found out about his appearance at Town Hall less than an hour before the event. It was one of those times where we could have talked ourselves out of going since it meant dressing up, driving 45 minutes into Seattle, finding a place to park and hoping there were tickets still left.

Rather than making excuses, I asked the (fiancee) "Terry Pratchett's in town. Want to go? We have to leave in less than five minutes."

Shannon had missed out on a pair of previous opportunities to see him speak and said simply. "Let's Go".

Fortunately, there was no traffic, we found a place to park less than a block away (that being the true miracle), talked our way into getting in and were only fifteen minutes into the show. It was one of the events that was more memorable for Shannon which was good enough for me. The best was the Question and Answer period where one of the audience members actually asked a decent one, whether Terry Pratchett thought that Lord Vetinari or Granny Weatherwax would win a game of chess. And you could tell it was a question that had not been asked of him a thousand previous times and he was actually stumped. You could tell he was mentally writing down the notes "to use for later".

My wife and her entire family are huge Terry Pratchett fans. I've read and very much enjoyed his books myself.

Quick story since I have to run to pick up a load of cured horse manure - for schnerious - a year or so ago we found out Pratchett was coming to Seattle on one of his tours. And by "found out" I was reading the blog of our city's OTHER alt newspaper and found out about his appearance at Town Hall less than an hour before the event. It was one of those times where we could have talked ourselves out of going since it meant dressing up, driving 45 minutes into Seattle, finding a place to park and hoping there were tickets still left.

Rather than making excuses, I asked the (fiancee) "Terry Pratchett's in town. Want to go? We have to leave in less than five minutes."

Shannon had missed out on a pair of previous opportunities to see him speak and said simply. "Let's Go".

Fortunately, there was no traffic, we found a place to park less than a block away (that being the true miracle), talked our way into getting in and were only fifteen minutes into the show. It was one of the events that was more memorable for Shannon which was good enough for me. The best was the Question and Answer period where one of the audience members actually asked a decent one, whether Terry Pratchett thought that Lord Vetinari or Granny Weatherwax would win a game of chess. And you could tell it was a question that had not been asked of him a thousand previous times and he was actually stumped. You could tell he was mentally writing down the notes "to use for later".

I sort of collect authors as friends on FB, with far left and far right both being pretty well represented.  The one very telling thing about the literary impact that Pratchett has was every single person from every end of the political spectrum pretty much has nothing but awesome stuff to say about the guy.  Says alot.

• 4 months later...

WWF's "Rowdy" Roddy Piper died, one of my favorite "heels" when I was a wee lad back in the 1980s and still thought wrestling was real.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33745636

He also starred in the John Carpenter documentary "They Live". In remembrance, tomorrow I will make an effort to either chew bubble gum or kick ass.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
4 hours ago, Donward said:

Well, one of my favorite outdoors writers died.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article208797409.html

The hijinx of Patrick F McManus and the characters he wrote about will be familiar to anyone who has spent time in the wilderness. 

Well now. A veritable plethora of shyster lawyers, scumbag politicians and militant vegans to chose from, and we lose this guy.

FFS.