Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Putin MIA, talk of a possible slow moving coup?

Belesarius

This is from Reddit.  Unfortunately, retrieved from the AH forums, but I get info from wherever I can find it. :"I posted this comment in an earlier thread, but the mods removed that thread. I think it's worth repeating here...
A Russian blogger has speculated that a coup may have been launched by a faction of Russia's intelligence community that dissaproves of Putin's handling of the Ukraine crisis.

One Russia analyst sums up what he thinks a variety of stories in the last few weeks amount to - a slow-motion coup in which some security officials in the Federal Security Service (FSB) and Federal Protective Service (FSO) with Kremlin chief of staff Sergei Ivanov, former KGB, team up against Putin, whose allies are Chechen strongman Ramzan Kadyrov and the Interior Ministry or police, which also commands thousands of internal troops.

Two blog posts from the LiveJournal blogger v_n_zb known as KatrinSha on Twitter provide some insights. This blogger is saying what others including independent newspapers and analysts are saying, but she's putting it together more coherently than most. Some of her insights match those of Andrei Illarionov, former advisor to Putin now at the Cato Institute, who says "the generals are taking over."

The first post concerns Yevgeny Primakov, one of the veteran political "clan" leaders of Moscow, who as a former foreign minister, intelligence chief and prime minister has a lot of influence. (See Lithuanian expert Marius Laurinavičius's piece Primakov Clan’s Trap for the West or a Little about Putin’s Peace Roadmap).

Primakov, who was born in Kiev advocates keeping the Crimea but not annexing the Donbass, so he is something of a "moderate" compared to others although non-Russians disagree with his plan for "centralization" which contains within it Russian homogenization, and Westerners would find his diatribes against "neo-liberalism" quite Soviet.
In his speech at the prestigious Mercury Club, where he serves as president, on January 13, 2015 Primakov basically "tore Putin's policy to bits."

He said Donbass should remain in Ukraine

He opposed Russia's self-isolation

He advocated a move away from Russia's role as "the world's gas station" and diversification of the economy

He acknowledged anti-semitism, chauvinism and neo-Nazis as big problems in Russia

Primakov's starkest comment in this speech was:

"There are no grounds to believe the readiness of the executive government to propose a justified plan based on concretely specified actions to turn the country toward diversification of its economy and its growth on this basis."
tl;dr: Certain high ranking officials in the Russian government, particularly Yevgeny Primakov, sincerely doubt that Putin can resolve the Ukrainan and economic crises. They fear that Putin may throw Russia into chaos, so Primakov and his allies could be motivated to depose him

http://www.interpretermag.com/russia...-14-2015/#7468

Russia's media has also suddenly adopted a new tone towards the Ukrainian conflict since Putin went missing:

KatrinSha focuses on events of the last week that she believes will tell us who is really in charge in Russia:

1. The term "Novorossiya" and "DNR and LNR" disappeared from state television channels and the terms "Lugansk and Donetsk Regions" replace them.

2. The "purging" of the "implacable" field commanders among the Russian-backed separatists has begun -- we could note there was an assassination attempt on Mozgovoy and Motorola (Pavlov) is also believed to be targeted.

3. Separatist units have begun to be called "bandit formations" in Russian media

4. Two additional humanitarian convoys have been sent immediately to the Donbass. "This time the quotation marks can be removed from the word humanitarian," says KatrinSha."

I also had a Daily KOS link, (Yes I know they are as slanted as fuck, but it was an interesting rundown)

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/03/14/1371003/-Looks-like-Obama-may-have-outplayed-Putin

AIUI, in the late Soviet era the only guys with seniority to get the job of Premier were old old old.  They had a tendency to die in office, and the state media would of course lie about their health right up until they hit room temperature.

So, keeping with tradition, when any leader in the FSU goes missing for a spell, intense speculation breaks out.

AIUI, in the late Soviet era the only guys with seniority to get the job of Premier were old old old.  They had a tendency to die in office, and the state media would of course lie about their health right up until they hit room temperature.

So, keeping with tradition, when any leader in the FSU goes missing for a spell, intense speculation breaks out.

Yep. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/vladimir-putin-appears-in-public-for-first-time-in-days/article23468184/ 

The media changes etc.still have me wonder if there was some behind closed door ass chewing going on.   Or this could have jsut been an 'Off to Camp David', Russia style...

The health problems of the General Secretary were announced (although downscaled, of course) but naturally everyone knew. The jokes about the geriatric state of the CPSU were numerous.

The health problems of the General Secretary were announced (although downscaled, of course) but naturally everyone knew. The jokes about the geriatric state of the CPSU were numerous.

Sure, and I recall some of those jokes.  Alas, they didn't translate well.

By "lie" I mean "downplay."  As in "Comrade Andropov is feeling a little under the weather, but he'll be fine and will be back to work soon!"

The Orignial series was good. The remake a couple of years ago was awful.

They just ended the Original series poorly with alien/human hybrid star child saving the day with magic. The Leader chick in the remake was kinda hot but other than that there was nothing going with that series. And I watched the first eight or so episodes wanting something to happen. I seriously tried to give it a chance.

Whereas the original was jam-packed with action between every commercial break. Holy cow, Colombians are chasing the good guy with machine guns and... there's an awesome UFO above ever city! Who are these Visitors? Are they friendly? Are they bad? What's the secret? Oh crap, the hot Visitor Leader chick ate a freaking rodent!!! Yeah!!!

It was awesome being an elementary school kid watching V for the first time.

HAQJsaQ.gif

It's funny how Putin is always portrayed as a hardcore badass despite being the "bad guy" whereas "good guy" Barack Obama is an ineffectual punchline.

It's funny how Putin is always portrayed as a hardcore badass despite being the "bad guy" whereas "good guy" Barack Obama is an ineffectual punchline.

It is funny how people will gleefully cheer on their actual enemies just because it lets them feel smug about their political leanings. It gives me plenty of laughing material as flag-waving patriots drool lovingly over Putin.