Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Mustelid Appreciation Thread

Sturgeon

I'm not certain about that de-scenting bit. I've met some stinky ferrets and stinky ferret owners.

What I AM certain of is my affection for the 1982 family classic The Beastmaster, starring Kodo and Podo.

https://youtu.be/F461FINv3DU

(Also, I'm not sure why the YouTube embedding no longer works cause I'm as bright as Dar in that movie...)

I'm not certain about that de-scenting bit. I've met some stinky ferrets and stinky ferret owners.

What I AM certain of is my affection for the 1982 family classic The Beastmaster, starring Kodo and Podo.

(Also, I'm not sure why the YouTube embedding no longer works cause I'm as bright as Dar in that movie...)

I find it works when I don't type anything before you paste the youtube link in.  At least that's how it worked for me the past few times..

Ferrets have multiple sets of glands, both fore and aft. The aft ones are the only ones that get removed commercially. If you don't wash a ferret, even with its anal glands taken out, it will stink to high heaven.

You need the proper Youtube link; you've got the abbreviated one. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This purports to be the skull of Megalictis ferox, a mustelid from the Miocene of North America:

2ykcjfd.jpg

In life it would have been about two meters long.

Megalictis went extinct when all members of the genus packed up to conquer space, because seriously, a two meter long weasel is terrifying.

This purports to be the skull of Megalictis ferox, a mustelid from the Miocene of North America:

2ykcjfd.jpg

In life it would have been about two meters long.

Megalictis went extinct when all members of the genus packed up to conquer space, because seriously, a two meter long weasel is terrifying.

The way you have written that, it sounds like the skull would have been two meters long.

All the sudden I was very, very excited, and then very, very disappointed.

• 1 month later...

Endangered ferrets to be released at once toxic Rocky Mountain Arsenal

Federal wildlife managers confirmed this week they're poised to release 30 captive-bred ferrets in September onto the 27-square-mile refuge, a former Army chemical weapons and Shell pesticides plant that became a superfund environmental disaster 8 miles from downtown Denver.

The ferrets will help control prairie dogs that are threatening newly restored native prairie, each eating 100 to 150 prairie dogs a year, refuge manager Dave Lucas said. Eventually, the refuge will support 160 of the federally protected ferrets, Lucas said.

Their elongated bodies and super-sensitive snouts let them slink at night through underground tunnels to prairie dog dens. They clamp their teeth into sleeping prairie dogs and devour them.

"This is the top predator in our prairie ecosystem," Lucas said. "Prairie dogs here will be looking over their shoulders. The black-footed ferrets will help us manage the prairie dog population, and that will help our native plant species survive."

Did you know? Ferrets are nocturnal, sleeping up to 21 hours a day and hunting prairie dogs during the night.

Black-footed_Ferret_Learning_to_Hunt.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...