Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The M4 Sherman Tank Epic Information Thread.. (work in progress)

On 10/24/2017 at 8:12 AM, EnsignExpendable said:

Unthrowable tracks? Sounds like a challenge. When you invent a foolproof process, nature invents a better fool :)

My superior German engineering :'(

Looking back, not that the brits did much better, but in order of "Old ammo I'd shoot", it's "US", "USSR", England", and "Everyone else". 

Really, Kraut ammo was pretty fucking awful. 

I've been cleaning up this image. 

Scan_Pic0054-1184x1600.jpg

Scan_Pic0055-1600x620.jpg

if you look these over and actually read the items that go with the letters in the exploded view, you will note, they don't match.  They are the right part numbers, but attached to the wrong part.  I went through and fixed it by looking each part number up in the Ord 9 catalog and using the description and number used in the assembly was able to get it right. I think. 

f18-9-gun-barrel-traveling-lock-assembly

https://www.c-span.org/video/?433629-2/design-history-m4-sherman-tank-world-war-ii

SEPTEMBER 22, 2017
Design and History of the M4 Sherman Tank During World War II Iraq and Afghanistan tank veteran Nicholas Moran talked about the design and history of the M4 Sherman tank. Mr. Moran argued that the M4 Sherman tank was the best U.S. tank during World War II because of its versatility, low production cost, and reliability. Nicholas Moran is director of militaria relations for Wargaming America, whose “World of Tanks” game has over 100 million players worldwide. 

6 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?433629-2/design-history-m4-sherman-tank-world-war-ii

SEPTEMBER 22, 2017
Design and History of the M4 Sherman Tank During World War II Iraq and Afghanistan tank veteran Nicholas Moran talked about the design and history of the M4 Sherman tank. Mr. Moran argued that the M4 Sherman tank was the best U.S. tank during World War II because of its versatility, low production cost, and reliability. Nicholas Moran is director of militaria relations for Wargaming America, whose “World of Tanks” game has over 100 million players worldwide. 

Cool stuff, I'll have to watch in tomorrow.

I got these done over the weekend. ]

VVSS-Track1-IMPROVED-f13-14-ccflat-xx-16

VVSS-Tracks-and-Growser-IMPROVED-f13-13f

I found some very interesting documentation on off-road trials of Sherman tanks. Turns out that all varieties of Sherman with grousers or extended end connectors have superior flotation to the Panther, despite its fancy pants interleaved road wheels. There was also supposed to be a race between Shermans and the Panther, but the Panther developed engine trouble after being stuck in some dirt and could not partake.

20 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

I found some very interesting documentation on off-road trials of Sherman tanks. Turns out that all varieties of Sherman with grousers or extended end connectors have superior flotation to the Panther, despite its fancy pants interleaved road wheels. There was also supposed to be a race between Shermans and the Panther, but the Panther developed engine trouble after being stuck in some dirt and could not partake.

Cool, are you going to do a post about them?

16 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

So if the M4A4 had a massive engine (Haynes book says 2.5 tons compared to 700 kg Ford GAA), plus the hull was longer, how come it's a comparable weight to other Shermans? What did they cut? Looks at the datasheets, the armour is the same thickness, it carries just as much ammunition, etc. 

It was the heaviest, I'm about to fall asleep here but I'll check the weights tomorrow.