Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The M4 Sherman Tank Epic Information Thread.. (work in progress)

Bunch of new content I'm hosting, mostly unit histories I picked up here and there. 

Unit Histories

Paths of Armor: The history of 5th Armored Division. 396 high quality pages of history on the 5th AD. 

The Combat history of the Super Sixth:  182 pages, ok scan with a lot of very good info.

You can read their unit history here: Impact, the battle history of the Tenth Armored Division

A history of the 12th Armored Division: Hellcats   98 pages, good scan.

the 13th Armored division: A history of the Black Cats from Texas to France, Germany and Austria and back to California  

The 68th Tank Battalion in combatUnit history 68th Tank Battalion, 57 good quality pages.

717th Tank Battalion recordA short history of the 717, 78 ok pages.

The combat story of the 743rd Tank Battalion: Move out Verify. This unit was in it from D-day to the surrender of the Germans. 194 pages and good quality scan.

752nd Tank BnThis history is for the 752 who spent their whole war in Italy. It makes for an interesting contrast. 85 ok quality pages.

Battle history of A battery 391st Armored Field Artillery BattThis one is just one A battery, and is 120 ok pages

Our battalion: 89th tank destroyer battalion history  This one is 97 pages, ok scan quality.

782nd Tank Battalion: Treat’em Rough A short history of this Tank unit, 37 pages, ok scan.

782nd Tank Battalion: Treat’em Rough A short history of this Tank unit, 37 pages, ok scan.

New pages: 

Sherman Tank Turrets and Turret components.

Sherman Tank Fuel Systems: Fuel tanks, Lines, and Valves, plus Carbs and Injectors

And now for the images. 

6th-casualtiesflat.png6thad-casualties-breakdownflat.png10ad-homecomin-poster.png

9 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Hmm, I see some Bren guns sticking out behind the TC in the background.  I would guess Commonwealth, but I don't recall them using helmets.

Hmmm yeah, but note the guys in berets in the background as well, and the funky wire sight in front of the main commander.  Maybe UK crews used helmets in Italy? Maybe they are something odd like South Africans. 

This photo seems to be of the same scene, and the source caption states that they're Sherman V's.  Some good general armor photos in with that link.

Sherman-V-tank-armed-with-a-75-mm-Gun--5

Sherman V tank armed with a 75-mm Gun, 5th Canadian Armour Regiment, 8th Princess Louise (New Brunswick) Hussars, Italy, 2 Mar 1944.  (Library and Archives Canada  Photo, MIKAN No. 3599666 and 3599664)

2 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

A lightly chipped M4A1

T9zDqCR.png

.30" M2AP.  Makes wee little craters.  I bet there was a pile of tungsten steel/hardened steel "pencils" around that tank.

Also, I wish I had not shot up all the M2AP I used to have, but damn, it used to be cheap, and accurate. 

French armament 1940 makes the claim on pg. 94 that :

● Tank construction technology and Somua S35 tank
The Somua S35 was intended to be produced in the USA but due to WW2 that never happened. All what the French learned about casting technology was transferred to the USA and that inspired more or less the turret of the Lee, the hull of the M3A1 and the Sherman general design. The conception/design of the future M4 Sherman is in fact partly inspired by these studies and French engineers were present in the US "Ordnance" during debriefing meetings in Washington beginning July 1940. But what is sometimes heard about the Sherman being directly linked to the Somua S35 is an urban myth.

Is it known if there is any validity to such an assertions, that the Sherman was influenced heavily by the Somua S35? Frankly it sounds sort of like an attempt at face saving by "yeah we lost, but the silly Americans used our superior technology to build their tanks", but I mean, that's why I'm asking. 

The short answer is no. The long answer is kind of, but not really.

In 1940, Canada was starting up its own tank brigade, and a decision was made to arm it with domestically produced tanks. Producing the Cruiser Tank Mk.VI at Canadian factories was impossible, so a decision was made to use the American Medium Tank M3 chassis to build a tank that isn't shit. At this point, the Somua S35 was actually considered for production (among many other designs from other nations), but ultimately rejected. The result of this process was the Ram tank, a cast hull on the M3's riveted chassis. The Canadians actually ended up hiring one of the French guys who worked on the S35 to help with setting up casting production.

Some historians argue that the Ram influenced the Sherman, but that is rather unlikely. The Ram entered production first, but the Medium Tank T6 was already completed by the time a sample arrived at Aberdeen. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

tX4GN8c.png

Interesting opinion, considering that a) the Sherman V ended up being the Commonwealth's most numerous tank and b) the Wright engines were the least reliable of them all in 1944 tests.

While a absurdly sturdy AC mill, the Wright is a pain to deal with in armored installations.  I suspect a lot of the "unreliability" stemmed from "Fuck turning it through before we start it" or "Nah, those lower valves don't need adjustment".

Same kind of normal human nonsense that cause that fucked up APG report on the T-34. 

9 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

tX4GN8c.png

Interesting opinion, considering that a) the Sherman V ended up being the Commonwealth's most numerous tank and b) the Wright engines were the least reliable of them all in 1944 tests.

What's kinda funny was they could have a preference for the R975, but uncle Sam wanted them so he so he told the Brits they could take the A57 and have lots of tanks or get a few M4 and M4A1's when we had no demand, and or when the Ford GAA had its bugs worked out. It's also impressive the A57 ended up being the most reliable, considering its near German level of complexity!