Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The M4 Sherman Tank Epic Information Thread.. (work in progress)

Yeah good points on the Brits using only M4s, and the grousers compartment, I didn't spot that. 

On 6/25/2019 at 6:09 AM, Scolopax said:

If I recall right, they also weren't wanting to completely restore the majority of their vehicles because a live engine would be a potential liability for a fire, and they don't want to lose historical vehicles that in some cases are the only surviving examples.

I bet it has far more to do with money, and money to operate them once restored than any actual fire hazard, but I suppose that could be a worry, since armored vehicle museums burn down so often... 

I don't think the concern was with the whole museum potentially going up, just the slim chance of a single vehicle experiencing issues when driving at some event, having a fire, and then being ruined.  Pretty sure I heard it in a video seminar by the National Armor and Cavalry Hertige Foundation on the status of the collection, but I haven't been able to find it as of now.

But yes, money definitely has to be the main reason most of the stuff is not receiving more than a cleanup and paintjob for static display.

Edit:

This was the video I had in mind, with talk on the subject here starting at 6:18

Neat cargo-holder fabrication or whatever they've done on the deck. If I had to guess, though, I'd go with M4A2 since the rear armor looks to dip down further that an M4's and it looks like it has the water and oil filler caps associated with an M4A2. Jeeps?

f3YUTRS.jpg

35 minutes ago, DogDodger said:

Neat cargo-holder fabrication or whatever they've done on the deck. If I had to guess, though, I'd go with M4A2 since the rear armor looks to dip down further that an M4's and it looks like it has the water and oil filler caps associated with an M4A2. Jeeps?

f3YUTRS.jpg

I concur!  I wish we had some more shots of those boxes, tanks, cool looking stuff, on the back of the tank though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...