Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Saudi Arabia to begin operations in Yemen

Priory_of_Sion

Tangental, but more reasons for loathing rich gulf states:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/09/refugees-migrant-crisis-arab-countries/404203/

More loathing, directed in this case to one of the prime causes of the crisis:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/a-refugee-crisis-made-in-america/

Thanks Obama.

SA attack on column of armed people (i guess those are Houthis).

Yes, Houthis, title translation of the video is "The Saudi Apache rains gunfire and missiles on the Houthis"

clbliKl-7Nw.jpg

It's captured, right? At least that's what the text says. This is pretty bad..

If they can use it, it would help them a lot against the Saudis/UAE.

That's a bad thing?

Just on a for-kicks level*: I'm all for the Houthis rolling Saudia Arabia and installing itself in the manner befitting any pastoral society conquering a fat, degenerate civilization of that sort. Hell, thanks to American shale oil I wouldn't even pay more at the tank for it. And certainly the new rulers couldn't even begin to be as loathsome as the old ones without actually becoming Nazis.

Let's hope that these farm boys can swing a spanner well enough to keep that tank going.

* IE: after having shut down the part of my brain which has empathy for the suffering of all things. And the other part which knows from experience that toppled middle eastern nations = no good thing.

That's a bad thing?

Just on a for-kicks level*: I'm all for the Houthis rolling Saudia Arabia and installing itself in the manner befitting any pastoral society conquering a fat, degenerate civilization of that sort. Hell, thanks to American shale oil I wouldn't even pay more at the tank for it. And certainly the new rulers couldn't even begin to be as loathsome as the old ones without actually becoming Nazis.

Let's hope that these farm boys can swing a spanner well enough to keep that tank going.

* IE: after having shut down the part of my brain which has empathy for the suffering of all things. And the other part which knows from experience that toppled middle eastern nations = no good thing.

Well, bad for the Saudis. Though they and the UAE forces have shown incompetence at using fighting vehicles so far. I wonder how are the Leclercs doing. [if they're even being used]

We'll see how it goes, though keep in mind only a few Middle East/African countries recovered from big movements like these. I don't think Yemen will be any different.

The whole of the Middle East seems to have been in slow freefall since Iraq 2 (electric boogaloo). It doesn't help that the standard approach from the international community whenever things spill over to a new country is "hey, we don't really like whoever is in charge anyway. I know, let's bomb them and support Al Qaeda the plucky rebels!"

After a while it begins to seem like a deliberate strategy to fuck up the middle east completely for the next few generations.

As for Africa, I will note that the same dynamic gave us Libya and Somalia. Not seeing too much of the same trend for the rest of the continent, however.

T-80s in UAE? I saw only Leclercs in Yemen. BMP-3 was destroyed by AT landmine.

There was a picture of a destroyed tank that looked a lot like a T-80 in Yemen. I'll try to find it again. I found it very strange because I didn't think UAE bought T-80s. 

For the BMP-3, there was also an incident when an ATGM crew managed to ambush a BMP-3.

Those T-80BVs were Yemen's army (or Republican guards) tanks from Belarus, AFAIK. Those tanks are like 20 years old. Plenty of them were simply abandoned.

CvKUwAY.jpg

Oh, OK. Thanks.

Still though, my point was that training is the key in tank performance not the tank itself. (though there are some tanks which just can't do good right now even with exceptional crews. mainly very old ones.)

Any tank can be as good as brains of the crew and design of the vehicle allow. Latest combat in Yemen shows both those elements, bad crews and limits of the design. Funny thing is that Abrams tanks were to be used in hull-down frequently, but turret design is actually pretty bad (or better to say - undermines) for hull-down.