Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Matt Easton/Nikolas Lloyd Appreciation Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Historians really don't debate the dark ages anymore. That term has been out of favor for a while. Only folks that seem to perpetuate that the myth of a "dark age" is Hollywood.  

The period is already typically divided up into Early, High, and Late Middle Ages. There was a lot going on and in Europe it was an especially tumultuous time. Germanic Migration period was between 500 and 700. Slavic migrations around the same time. Merovingian period probably 480 to 774?  Carolingian period was really only 775 to 900.  The Viking age was 792 to 1066. Byzantine Empire was at it's high point. The rise of Islam.  Rurikid Dynasty sprung up in Kiev and Novgorod around 800. Crusades, end of migrations, consolidations of what would become modern states.  It's a bit difficult to pack all this into 500-1000 was X and 1000-1500 was Y.  

1 hour ago, CrashbotUS said:

Historians really don't debate the dark ages anymore. That term has been out of favor for a while. Only folks that seem to perpetuate that the myth of a "dark age" is Hollywood.  

The period is already typically divided up into Early, High, and Late Middle Ages. There was a lot going on and in Europe it was an especially tumultuous time. Germanic Migration period was between 500 and 700. Slavic migrations around the same time. Merovingian period probably 480 to 774?  Carolingian period was really only 775 to 900.  The Viking age was 792 to 1066. Byzantine Empire was at it's high point. The rise of Islam.  Rurikid Dynasty sprung up in Kiev and Novgorod around 800. Crusades, end of migrations, consolidations of what would become modern states.  It's a bit difficult to pack all this into 500-1000 was X and 1000-1500 was Y.  

Yes, I agree. Beating down old misconceptions is fun, though. I liked Shad's coverage of education during the Middle Ages.

3 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Look! Matt Easton can make clickbait, too!

(Seriously, don't watch the video, all he says is that lightsabers aren't real.)

Next he'll do a video on how rings of power can't turn you invisible nor will they allow you to extend your dominion over the races of Middle Earth while giving you a speech impediment.

Even if it came to you on your birthday, precious.

SHADDAP!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/20/2017 at 2:24 PM, Toxn said:

I like bioengineering brainstorming, but I'm rather disappointed that Lindy doesn't seem to know how a spider's eye works.

Back when I made this thread, Lloyd hadn't done that much to embarrass himself. Since then, he's proven to be a real professional idiot, sadly. His stuff on modern infantry is just cringe.