Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Matt Easton/Nikolas Lloyd Appreciation Thread

If there's a typo, deal with it. It's my weekend, but I hope that clears a few things up. I think Toxn and Sturgis-man and myself are looking at the same thing from three different directions.

Also, to answer your question, my biology focus was on molecular genetics and creating plasmids for shoving into CHO cells and then putting together bioreactors for large scale cell culture to produce antibodies. So immunology and genetics and a bit of bioengineering. Also did testing for a biopharma company for a while before going back to school for engineering. 

Also, it's currently sleeting outside so I don't think I'll get to the actual experiment today.

Thanks for the physics lesson - I really do appreciate being schooled (in the original sense of the word) on things and am thankful for your time.

My focus was on crop genetics, which meant putting reporter gene constructs into e.coli (and later agrobacterium) for my day job, and doing biolistics for my project. I was never great at lab technique, so restriction/ligation ended up being a chore whenever I had to do it.

I had fun though. 

PS: I might ask for your expertise in relation to a side project I am running on expressing/purifying/stabilizing a polypeptide (in another topic or PM, I promise).

No worries. I was more of a lab guy to be honest. I wrangled the PhDs and made sure everything kept running. I used to purify around 250 mgs of plasmid per batch that I would then keep in a water solution at 1mg/ml concentration until ready to be transfected into CHO cells. I got really good at cutting up DNA and ligation during my time at work hah. 

No worries. I was more of a lab guy to be honest. I wrangled the PhDs and made sure everything kept running. I used to purify around 250 mgs of plasmid per batch that I would then keep in a water solution at 1mg/ml concentration until ready to be transfected into CHO cells. I got really good at cutting up DNA and ligation during my time at work hah. 

You would have been popular in our lab, that's for sure.

Did you use kits or get really good at the alkaline lysis method?

• 2 weeks later...

In which Lindy makes some very good points, but also says some incredibly stupid things:

This is not a new development.

I'm honestly hoping that he chats about something within my technical knowledge*, so that I can pin the ratio down a bit.

*The helmet conundrum came close, but that was more of a statistical gotcha than a proper opinion piece.

• 2 weeks later...

The inevitable response-to-the-response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfBL1hz_zw

Yeah. He's doubling down on the stupid.

Because only the BRITISH incorrectly called MG34s/MG42s a "Spandau". Because it's not like I can go on YouTube and find multiple period training films from World War 2 calling German machineguns MG34s or MG42s.

I think it's really funny how upset everyone's gotten that he used the term "spandau".

It's his insistence that "Everyone who spoke English" used the term Spandau.

Nope.

Now, if he would have just said, "Since I'm British, and since we're talking about a Commonwealth gun versus a Nazi gun, I'm using the term Spandau" that would have been fine. 

But he didn't. If it were an American unit coming across a German machine gun, they'd call it the MG42 or Forty-two. Just like if they ran across an MP40, they'd call it a "burp gun" or a "Schmeisser". 

I really like Lindybeige. It's just that he's wrong in this regard.

It's his insistence that "Everyone who spoke English" used the term Spandau.

Nope.

Now, if he would have just said, "Since I'm British, and since we're talking about a Commonwealth gun versus a Nazi gun, I'm using the term Spandau" that would have been fine. 

But he didn't. If it were an American unit coming across a German machine gun, they'd call it the MG42 or Forty-two. Just like if they ran across an MP40, they'd call it a "burp gun" or a "Schmeisser". 

I really like Lindybeige. It's just that he's wrong in this regard.

I don't recall him insisting that everyone who spoke English used it, rather that it was a common term in English - that is, British - sources. It makes sense to say "spandau" instead of "MG-34 and/or MG-42" every single bloody time.

You know, I am gonna have to take the opposite position. Now, there are some dumb things he said in his original video, but the "spandau" thing? If you care about that, it's just because you like correcting people, not because it's actually inaccurate or matters. I deal with this phenomenon every single day as part of my job; people just  want to waltz in and show how bloody smart they are by "correcting" something that's so incredibly insignificant that it has no bearing on the actual conversation or discussion of facts. I'd call this "semantic" quibbling, except "semantics" implies some potential for confusion or inaccuracy, which is not what I mean here. I mean people bitching about calling 7.62x39 AKs "AK-47s" because that's not the "proper" term, even though it's completely clear what someone means when they say that.

"Spandau", does anyone really not understand what he means? He means German rapid-fire dismounted belt-fed machine guns of World War II, that neatly excludes their aircraft machine guns, their magazine-fed machine guns (like the ZB-30), and their heavy belt-fed machine guns. Who cares how widely it was used (especially since it clearly IS used often in British sources, and he is British!)? It's clear from context that he doesn't mean that other "spandau", the water-cooled belt-fed machine guns of World War I.

So maybe set aside your whips just this one time, eh?

I don't recall him insisting that everyone who spoke English used it, rather that it was a common term in English - that is, British - sources. It makes sense to say "spandau" instead of "MG-34 and/or MG-42" every single bloody time.

You know, I am gonna have to take the opposite position. Now, there are some dumb things he said in his original video, but the "spandau" thing? If you care about that, it's just because you like correcting people, not because it's actually inaccurate or matters. I deal with this phenomenon every single day as part of my job; people just  want to waltz in and show how bloody smart they are by "correcting" something that's so incredibly insignificant that it has no bearing on the actual conversation or discussion of facts. I'd call this "semantic" quibbling, except "semantics" implies some potential for confusion or inaccuracy, which is not what I mean here. I mean people bitching about calling 7.62x39 AKs "AK-47s" because that's not the "proper" term, even though it's completely clear what someone means when they say that.

"Spandau", does anyone really not understand what he means? He means German rapid-fire dismounted belt-fed machine guns of World War II, that neatly excludes their aircraft machine guns, their magazine-fed machine guns (like the ZB-30), and their heavy belt-fed machine guns. Who cares how widely it was used (especially since it clearly IS used often in British sources, and he is British!)? It's clear from context that he doesn't mean that other "spandau", the water-cooled belt-fed machine guns of World War I.

So maybe set aside your whips just this one time, eh?

Nope. Whips all around.

Followed shortly by a video from Nick on how whips compare to the bastard sword (here defined to include hand-and-a-half swords, spathas and tulwars) on the ancient battlefield.

No. It isn't about just going around and "correcting people".

It's one thing to go and say, the British called it the Spandau and since I'm British, this is what it should be called. I'm all in favor of over-the-top-and-obnoxious nationalism. If this was what Lindy was trying to do, then I'd be cool with it. Especially if it was in conjunction with a British Commonwealth weapon.

That is not what he said. 

Instead, he doubled down on it. And he seems more interested in running around saying "DID TOO! DID TOO! THEY DID TOO-named them Spandaus. 

That dog ain't gonna hunt.

Again, I really like Lindybeige. His channel is great. He's just wrong about this.

And suits...

No. It isn't about just going around and "correcting people".

It's one thing to go and say, the British called it the Spandau and since I'm British, this is what it should be called. I'm all in favor of over-the-top-and-obnoxious nationalism. If this was what Lindy was trying to do, then I'd be cool with it. Especially if it was in conjunction with a British Commonwealth weapon.

That is not what he said.

Instead, he doubled down on it. And he seems more interested in running around saying "DID TOO! DID TOO! THEY DID TOO-named them Spandaus.

That dog ain't gonna hunt.

Again, I really like Lindybeige. His channel is great. He's just wrong about this.

And suits...

So, because he chose to use one name for a veey clearly defined pair of weapons, and then backed that up with actual primary sources, you are mad?

But it's NOT just about correcting people, aye...